PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 996

RacinM3
02-23-04, 07:13 PM
Anybody here have one? Do you like it?

RichK
02-23-04, 07:23 PM
If you get one, I'm seriously going to start hating you.

RacinM3
02-23-04, 07:49 PM
I'll miss your witty emails, Rich! ;) :D

Insomniac
02-23-04, 07:49 PM
If you have a 959, I'd be beyond jealous!

RacinM3
02-23-04, 08:02 PM
I'm selling my M3.....the mileage is getting too high.....and I need to get another daily driver. THe M3's are nice, and fast, but sometimes the car they're based on (the 3-Series) shines through too much. I want to move upmarket some, and drove a couple of 996's over the weekend. There are some pretty good deals out there on low mileage 01 and 02 cars, and they seemed like a pretty livable everyday car, like the M3 is. And very much unlike previous generation 911's (I drove one of those every day for about 2 years, then parked it, for that very reason).

I'd like to hear the pro's and con's from anyone who uses one every day. :)

cart7
02-23-04, 08:07 PM
There are some pretty good deals out there on low mileage 01 and 02 cars, and they seemed like a pretty livable everyday car, like the M3 is.

I must be from another planet or somthin. To me and my pocketbook, a Ford Taurus is a pretty livable everyday car. :D

RichK
02-23-04, 08:08 PM
RacinM3, I have a friend with a 996 C2, I've sent him an email regarding this thread. I know that he LOVES it, and he's been a 911 guy for a long time.

I know what you mean about the M3, good and bad. I'm enjoying mine for now, but my 2-year car itch seems to be coming early this time!

Sean O'Gorman
02-23-04, 08:13 PM
Just buy a used Boxster and dump the money you saved buy not getting a 996 into your racing funds! ;)

RacinM3
02-23-04, 08:21 PM
I like the Boxster, but can't stand convertibles. And the way I drive, a steel roof over my head is probably a good idea.

Warlock!
02-23-04, 08:32 PM
I like the Boxster, but can't stand convertibles.
Huh... I thought I was the only one who hated convertibles. Not just because I don't like the wind blowing through my... um... scalp. I just think aesthetically a hard roofline is much more pleasing.

Besides... why put the top down if you have a perfectly good AC unit?!? :saywhat:

Oh yeah... and get a 996. Someone oughtta have fun...

Winter Warlock!

FCYTravis
02-23-04, 09:17 PM
Abandoning the blau mit weiss? How dare you! :laugh:

Seriously, go for it... the 996 is one bad-ass car. Though perhaps you should slap a roundel over the Porsche badge to avoid nasty looks at the BMWCCA races ;)

02-23-04, 11:16 PM
Scott,

I just sent you two PMs.. Long time no talk/email, buddy! RichK is almost correct. I don't have a 996 C2, but I did pick up a '96 993 C4S last summer and it's very nice. The one thing that I miss, though, is the "rawness" of my '86 Carrera (you had an '87, correct?). I don't know how the suspension is on the 996, but I do know that it can out handle my 993 anyday. I drove a few at the Streets of Willow a few years ago and I was VERY impressed with the 996.

Anyway, send me your number again so I can call (probably Friday). Take care.

Rich

nz_climber
02-23-04, 11:34 PM
:Drooling:

mmmmmm 996

Im with warlock too, don't like convertibles

JT265
02-24-04, 12:41 AM
I'd trade my gremlin straight up for a 996.

;)

Ankf00
02-24-04, 12:47 AM
donations for the '60 DB4 GT Aston for Ank Fund are still being taken at this time, call 1-800-123-4567 at any time. do it for the children. :)

oddlycalm
02-24-04, 03:14 PM
THe M3's are nice, and fast, but sometimes the car they're based on (the 3-Series) shines through too much. I want to move upmarket some, and drove a couple of 996's over the weekend.

My E46 M3 has been a mixed bag, so I can see looking at the 996. The M6 is on deck, and the 550hp V10 sounds fun, but that's heavy iron. The 996 is probably going to be 800-1000lbs under an M6. I'm at the top of the M6 list at my local dealer, but final decision time is still a long way off. As you indicated, Porsche prices are as soft as I can ever remember them at the moment, so it's a good time to be looking.

oc

Dirty Sanchez
02-24-04, 03:21 PM
Can't say much about the 996... but I can tell you all about the B6 S4 :p

Seeing as you're just coming out of a E46 M3 and looking at a 996, I doubt you'd be interested in a 4-door sleeper like mine ;) :D

RacinM3
02-25-04, 04:18 PM
I looked at the RS-6 Audi. I liked the look of the car, walked around it admiring the lines, and got around to the window sticker, where I promptly passed out. When I came to, the salesman was asking "so, what do you think??".

Nice car, but $80k? No thanks. Same with the M5.

oddlycalm
02-26-04, 03:01 PM
I looked at the RS-6 Audi.
-snip-
Nice car, but $80k? No thanks. Same with the M5.

Agreed. Based on having owned the underlying car, the A6, for 5yrs now, my take is that anything over $55K would be more than I would pay for an RS-6. Porsche prices are softer than at any time within memory, and I'd probably be doing the same thing you are were I looking.

oc

Dirty Sanchez
02-26-04, 03:08 PM
Agreed. Based on having owned the underlying car, the A6, for 5yrs now, my take is that anything over $55K would be more than I would pay for an RS-6. Porsche prices are softer than at any time within memory, and I'd probably be doing the same thing you are were I looking.

ocYou own an E46 M3 which goes for around $53k (optioned) and you'd only be willing to spend $2k more on a 450hp AWD luxury supercar? :saywhat:

RacinM3
03-16-04, 01:40 AM
Here's a car in Michigan I'm contemplating. Pretty rare color combo, full leather. What do you guys think:

http://www.l2specialties.com/scott/63.jpg

http://www.l2specialties.com/scott/62.jpg

http://www.l2specialties.com/scott/41.jpg

Only 5500 miles, Model Year 2001!

Sean O'Gorman
03-16-04, 01:50 AM
Since its quite a bit shorter of a drive from Ohio to Michigan than it is from California to Michigan, do you want me to test drive it for you and pass along my thoughts? Hell, if you need someone to help you drive it back home I can help, I'm off from work and school all this week and will pay for my own way back. :D

RacinM3
03-16-04, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the offer Sean! :thumbup: I actually thought about driving it back, but it's not a very good winter car...to say the least. I'm gonna have a trucking co. bring it home. I sent a buddy who lives in Ann Arbor over to check it out and drive it. He does R&D work for a major car co. and has driven a lot of 996's, so I trusted him to be my eyes. He took these photos, along with 62 others, from above and below on a lift. The bottom of the car still has the cosmoline all over it from shipping overseas!

Robstar
03-16-04, 02:14 AM
Damn, that is one sweet ride mate... :thumbup: :thumbup:

chop456
03-16-04, 03:26 AM
I'd probably go with a VW Golf instead.

Way cooler.

FCYTravis
03-16-04, 03:26 AM
Seeing as you're just coming out of a E46 M3
Actually he's coming out of an E36 M3 - though I'm sure Scott would love to strip down an E46 for a World Challenge GT car...

:rofl:

chop456
03-16-04, 04:42 AM
The M6 is on deck, and the 550hp V10 sounds fun, but that's heavy iron. I'm at the top of the M6 list at my local dealer, but final decision time is still a long way off.

oc

Mechanicals: :thumbup:
Styling: C+
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/7782_image.jpg

I'd still take one, though. ;)

Ankf00
03-16-04, 04:47 AM
a fascia only a mother could love

Michaelhatesfans
03-16-04, 11:33 AM
Have you tought about, say, an 85/86 IROC Z-28? They were really underated and I think that... :rofl: no, I can't go through with it! :rofl:

Dirty Sanchez
03-16-04, 11:58 AM
I'm gonna have a trucking co. bring it home.I can vouch for InterCity Lines (official hauler of Barret-Jackson). They shipped my car to me from Boston. Tremendous job. It cost around a $1000, but thankfully the dealer picked up that tab. Paying MSRP isn't all bad I guess ;) :D

Nice car, btw... good luck :thumbup:

Brickman
03-16-04, 12:26 PM
Something about the trunk lines.

http://www.discountpartcenter.com/photos/11-17-03-02-BMW-6-Series.jpg

I too recommend http://www.intercitylines.com

KLang
03-16-04, 12:31 PM
From that angle the back end reminds me of a couple of the current Chrysler cars.

chop456
03-16-04, 12:38 PM
Or an Acura CL. Yuck.

RacinM3
03-16-04, 12:59 PM
Yep, in fact I just got off the phone with Intercity. $1500 MI to CA, $150K insurance, enclosed. I'm going to try Reliable, also. Looks like the deal is done. :thumbup:

nz_climber
03-16-04, 03:36 PM
nice car :thumbup: (the 996 not the bmw)

I can only dream of a porsche with nz prices! :shakehead

oddlycalm
03-16-04, 04:44 PM
Yep, in fact I just got off the phone with Intercity. $1500 MI to CA, $150K insurance, enclosed. I'm going to try Reliable, also. Looks like the deal is done. :thumbup:

Sweet ride, I'm sure you'll have a great time with it. If it was mine I would have the undercarriage, wheel wells and rocker panels carefully steam cleaned to get rid of whatever road salt residue is in there. It's a one time chore, but a necessary task for a Michigan car if you plan to keep it for long. Even if it "was never driven in the snow" situations, there is salt residue on the roads back there for 7 months out of 12, and you can see it blow up like dust at times. It's a PIA, but it's a one time thing.

As for hauling, Intercity loads the cars on their enclosed van and that's where it stays until it arrives at your place. The rest all transfer cars around at terminals regardless of what they tell. I've sold all my BMW's out of state, and having done this several times both ways, I would always spend a few bucks more and go with Intercity. I had a minor issue with Reliable, but it took a lot of my time to deal with it. If you are flexible on time, they can get more competitive. They recently hauled a car for a friend from Nasheville to Portland for $995 because he was willing to live with a 3 week wait.

oc

TrueBrit
03-16-04, 04:55 PM
You know what the difference between a Hedgehog and a Porsche is don't you?

On a hedgehog the pricks are on the outside.... :D

oddlycalm
03-16-04, 05:14 PM
From that angle the back end reminds me of a couple of the current Chrysler cars.

Yup, me too, and that ain't good. BMW has lost it's way on styling IMO.

I went down and drove a new 645 last Friday, and while it drives nice, it's a large 3800lb. car. The M6 will be a bit lighter, the steering geometry will be different with the larger wheels and different chassis package, and the rear styling will be improved with a lip spoiler and diffuser plate, but I'm still very skeptical. The aubergine leather interior was gorgeous, and the car fit like a glove on the upside. Obviously, the 550hp @ 8500Rpm V10 and 7spd SMG tranny will make the M6 a much different car to drive.

Seeing the new 645 next to an older M6 didn't help either. While the M6 looked a bit boxy and dated, the quality of the paint was miles better than the water based dreck that is mandated these days. The car was much smaller in all it's dimensions, and yet it had the same interior room. BMW attracted their customer base with elegant simplicity and for follow function style, and my view is that departing from that philosophy is a dire mistake.

Styling aside, I didn't really appreciate having to dump $2200 into a new suspension and another $1700 for an exhaust on the M3 before I even took delivery, so I'll be driving an M6 before any order is placed. My expectation is that for the kind of money BMW charges for M cars, issues like the M3 had will simply not be a factor. If I was looking for a do-it-yourself project, I would buy an E36 and actually do it myself .

oc

nz_climber
03-16-04, 06:18 PM
Yup, me too, and that ain't good. BMW has lost it's way on styling IMO.
oc

yup - you only need to check out the tusks on their f1 machine to know they all gone crazy at bmw
:rolleyes:

RacinM3
03-26-04, 02:55 PM
I can vouch for InterCity Lines (official hauler of Barret-Jackson).

Okay, so I bought the Michigan car. :thumbup: I'm using Intercity Lines to ship it. The fact that they're the official haulers of Barrett Jackson is killing me though! :thumdown: Seems, B-J just had a little auction in Florida (I know, 'cause I watched it on SPEED Channel).....all their trucks are tied up moving cars from the auction! I ordered my move on the 17th of March, and they still haven't given me a pick-up date! :mad:

To make matters worse, I sold my M3, and the buyer picked it up this past Wednesday.

Looks like I better get a new pair of shoes. :gomer:

The wait is killin' me! I'm sticking with Intercity, though. I've read a lot of consumer reviews, and the only complaint about them seems to be centered on price. If that's the case, it appears people are getting what they pay for.

manic mechanic
03-26-04, 09:21 PM
One question, M3:

Does "being a purist" sportscar guy mean that you have to buy "off the rack"?

I'm planning to build my next toy..and spend less than $15k doing it.

If I succeed, I'll never have to smog the car, and have enough HP and handling to eat Vipers for breakfast, lunch, & dinner! :thumbup:

Congrats on your 996..I can only have nightmares about paying for one on a civil-servant's salary.

manic

oddlycalm
03-26-04, 10:05 PM
Okay, so I bought the Michigan car.
-snip-
The wait is killin' me! I'm sticking with Intercity, though. I've read a lot of consumer reviews, and the only complaint about them seems to be centered on price. If that's the case, it appears people are getting what they pay for.

Congrats, it's a great looking car, and I know how it will drive. Having a rare color is always nice as well, and I really like that one.

I gotta agree on Intercity. I look at the price as relatively cheap insurance. Trying to get damage repaired is always a lot more trouble than preventing it in the first place.

oc

RacinM3
03-26-04, 10:06 PM
manic.....I can't think of a purer form of sports car than one you build yourself.

Ziggy
03-27-04, 12:23 AM
Hey Man, that is one really nice looking car. Congrats!

I just got home from our local dealer. Looked at a 2001 Carrera Cabriolet. Red, low miles.... cant afford one, and even if I could, would not buy a convertible in Indiana.

New BMW's are freakin' ugly. I agree they have lost their way in the design of these cars. I like the M3's. They are very nice cars, and the colors are very nice as well. Laguna Blue is a very cool color.

This dealership had tons of SUV's sitting around. With gas going higher everyday, I wonder what BMW will "unveil" with the dirvetrain componants off these doorstops. Mike make some nice kit for a feeder series ride, FOR MICKY THOMPSON!!!

HAHAHAHA

Ziggy