PDA

View Full Version : Rockingham

Sean O'Gorman
02-22-04, 07:39 PM
I didn't get to see the race today (indoor karting :cool: ), but I saw a pic of the finish, and I know how Rockingham is one of the more driver intensive tracks. Which leads me to wonder, why do they want to ditch this track again??? :shakehead

Ziggy
02-22-04, 07:50 PM
well, uuuuhhhhhh, uhhhhhhhhh

MONEY

Ziggy

WickerBill
02-22-04, 07:53 PM
Because the place was only 4/5ths full.

Cam
02-22-04, 09:46 PM
Because the place was only 4/5ths full.
Which leads you to the question, IF they could put that 1/5th full IRL crowd in to fill it up? :gomer:

RTKar
02-22-04, 09:53 PM
I didn't get to see the race today (indoor karting :cool: ), but I saw a pic of the finish, and I know how Rockingham is one of the more driver intensive tracks. Which leads me to wonder, why do they want to ditch this track again??? :shakehead

I thought the same thing but with empty seats at the Rock and the plethora of cookie cutter ovals that popped up like Walmarts in suburbia, I guess "good racing" tracks with empty seats don't stand a chance.

pchall
02-22-04, 10:31 PM
I thought the same thing but with empty seats at the Rock and the plethora of cookie cutter ovals that popped up like Walmarts in suburbia, I guess "good racing" tracks with empty seats don't stand a chance.

I ran the tape for a few minutes for the Futility Watch and was rather suprised about all the visibly open grandstand seating. Is NASCAR losing it's original fan base or has the Spring race at Rockingham always been a tough sell to fans? Or is it that what little I saw of the event actually looked like racing instead of the usual pack rolling toward a big wreck?

DaveL
02-22-04, 10:46 PM
Is NASCAR losing it's original fan base or has the Spring race at Rockingham always been a tough sell to fans?

Rockingham has had a hard time filling seats for two reasons: It's in the middle of nowhere and the North Carolina area is saturated with NASCAR events so that dillutes the appeal of that race. Check out the pakced grandstands at Charlotte in May for the 600. Many of those people are there rather than buying tix for the Rockingham race.

RTKar
02-22-04, 11:17 PM
Or is it that what little I saw of the event actually looked like racing instead of the usual pack rolling toward a big wreck?

It did actually look like real racing. A number of yellows caused teams to have different strategies and tire wear was a major factor in breaking up the field. It seemed to me the cars were more broken up than usual but I don't watch enough NASCAR to know what it's normally like at Rockingham. Funny that the one track they want to get rid of is the one I might be more tempted to watch a race from again....also, I wonder if the new points system is making teams a bit more selfish too, less, "I'll let you past and collect leader points but then let me back by"

Ziggy
02-22-04, 11:30 PM
Rockingham has always been one of the better tracks. It is in the middle of nowhere, and its not all that warm out yet. It does not sell out, and those folks with the new shinny tracks cant buy enough tickets or spend enough money.

The Southern 500 is at Fontana for cripes sake

Ziggy

Brickman
02-22-04, 11:33 PM
Rockingham has always been one of the better tracks. It is in the middle of nowhere, and its not all that warm out yet. It does not sell out, and those folks with the new shinny tracks cant buy enough tickets or spend enough money.

The Southern 500 is at Fontana for cripes sake

Ziggy

Yep

The Southern California 500.