PDA

View Full Version : I ask you...

Racing Truth
02-21-04, 05:14 PM
I've read on TF, and this has been widely speculated, that Tommy Kendall will be joining the IRL broadcast team. What I didn't realize was that Snoozeyear will be STAYING in the booth with Paul Page (WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!) and TK.

My question is this: Could they have possibly come up with a more mismatched announce booth combo than this? :eek: Let's see, 'ole Porky hasn't the foggiest idea of what's going on out there, Snoozeyear could cure insomnia, and you throw TK in that mix? :eek:

Really, this isn't fair to the albeit few who watch IRL (or racing not associated with the France family) races. I mean, just when Goodyear lulls people to sleep, TK will jerk then out of their restful slumber with some actual wit. If they fall asleep again, they risk this: (say it with me now! ;) )

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

That's just not right. ;)

Brickman
02-21-04, 05:24 PM
LOL yea it popped up on the TracksideOnline a couple of weeks ago.

You just know what Tommy would do to Paul... :laugh:

Racing Truth
02-21-04, 05:28 PM
LOL yea it popped up on the TracksideOnline a couple of weeks ago.

You just know what Tommy would do to Paul... :laugh:

Talk about not being fair. Poor Paul. :laugh:

racer2c
02-21-04, 05:31 PM
What I find strange is that Kendall would accept the offer.

rabbit
02-21-04, 05:33 PM
What I find strange is that Kendall would accept the offer.Yup. BTW - Has TK ever raced on an oval? :confused: IROC perhaps?

Racing Truth
02-21-04, 05:42 PM
Yup. BTW - Has TK ever raced on an oval? :confused: IROC perhaps?

Probably IROC.

As for TK, I'm thinking $$$$, and uncertainty over ChampCar's TV presence. Look, I'm sure he prefers ChampCars, but he has no real loyalty per se to the series, and when SPEED was let go, he became a free agent, I guess.

Brickman
02-21-04, 05:44 PM
I dropped a hint at 7G that it was rumored, but didn't want to open him up to the same grief that Kernan got so didn't name names.

Business is business.

Racing Truth
02-21-04, 05:47 PM
I dropped a hint at 7G that it was rumored, but didn't want to open him up to the same grief that Kernan got so didn't name names.

Business is business.

Wonder what John's up to these days? :(

Brickman
02-21-04, 06:33 PM
Wonder what John's up to these days? :(

Well...

"there were a few of you who wanted to know what i was going to be up to next year, so here goes.

i just heard from speed tv on friday night that they weren't going to have anything for me to do. so, right now that means i'm unemployed for the moment. i had kind of counted on that after the meeting i had with rick miner and frank wilson in late october.

thanks for you concern and have a happy holiday season.
JK "

December 22, 2003

Insomniac
02-21-04, 07:07 PM
Is this confirmed that TK will be in the IRL booth? Doesn't he have a lot of friends still in ChampCar? It'll be a shame not having him.

jonovision_man
02-21-04, 07:21 PM
Is this confirmed that TK will be in the IRL booth? Doesn't he have a lot of friends still in ChampCar? It'll be a shame not having him.

It's a loss for owrs, but good career move for TK. If you want a long career in broadcasting, you have to take opportunities as the arise, and this one will get him onto network TV several times a year. Who knows where OWRS will land, and what opportunity he would have been offered?

Good luck to him. :)

jono

Brickman
02-21-04, 07:31 PM
Is this confirmed that TK will be in the IRL booth?

No

February 8, 2004.

"Trackside Online has been told by multiple sources to expect major changes in the IndyCar Series broadcast team. ABC is considering Tommy Kendall to join Paul Page and Scott Goodyear in the broadcast booth.... The Lingner Group will also be involved in the broadcasts this season.

TSO also has been told that for the first time the entire production crew is expected to travel to all the races. The result should be greater familiarity by the production crew with the IndyCar Series product."

Racing Truth
02-21-04, 08:33 PM
No

February 8, 2004.

"Trackside Online has been told by multiple sources to expect major changes in the IndyCar Series broadcast team. ABC is considering Tommy Kendall to join Paul Page and Scott Goodyear in the broadcast booth.... The Lingner Group will also be involved in the broadcasts this season.

TSO also has been told that for the first time the entire production crew is expected to travel to all the races. The result should be greater familiarity by the production crew with the IndyCar Series product."

Thanks Brick. I know its not official, but it has been highly speculated. Lingner should really help the production.

racer2c
02-21-04, 08:56 PM
This thread is very reminiscent to another forum. :shakehead

How about we wait until an announcemt?

Brickman
02-21-04, 09:14 PM
I agree... it's really a wait and see if one is even interested in it. I personally use the mute button more than not nowadays.

fourrunner
02-21-04, 09:24 PM
I hope it's just that ... rumor, But......

I certainly don't expect Tommy Kendall to take a bullet for OWRS if no job offer is presented.

I fully expect though that for every joke he is allowed to utter on an IRL Broadcast, he'll have a hundred more he just can't tell because of his surroundings. Besides with the religious lunatic fringe waiting on every utterance on Broadcast TV nowadays. Tommy will be on a very short leash.

Pay TV is much more suited to his style!!

JT265
02-21-04, 09:43 PM
If TK goes to the earl, it's because the plans he's working on right now didn't pan out.

cart7
02-22-04, 07:23 AM
Considering his off the cuff, shall we say, rather risque at times humour, I'm surprised a major network would even consider him rather than go with Parker.

JohnHKart
02-22-04, 08:24 AM
The only think Kernan has lined up is he is supposedly going to do the daily broadcasts from Indy. Well what a shame that TK is going to have to go to the IRL but I don't wish unemployment on him. I said on 7g I would bailing out of the IRL but I might break that just for Homestead....and I will watch Indy.

John

JoeBob
02-22-04, 12:07 PM
It would be very interesting to see how TK would work under IMS control. They are very careful to never criticize anything on the air. All is well, all the time. If they let TK say what he wants, it could make for some very interesting broadcasts. If they hire him, and don't muzzle him, I suggest tuning in to Homestead, because he probably won't have a job by Phoenix!

Ziggy
02-22-04, 12:19 PM
I read on trackforum, WOW, there is an opener

I read on Trackforum that Robbie MaGeeHeeHee is awaiting some money. Strike up the band, we gots us another entry. I read on TrackForum that Newman Haas is coming to Indy? WOW really? I read on TrackForum blahblahblah

change your name to "racing **** stirrer" and get back with us

Ziggy

Eagle104
02-22-04, 12:21 PM
It would be very interesting to see how TK would work under IMS control. They are very careful to never criticize anything on the air. All is well, all the time.
Very true.

The up-side: TK could finally be the long-awaited 'tell-all' when the time comes -- and, chances are that time will come....

Racing Truth
02-22-04, 12:32 PM
I read on trackforum, WOW, there is an opener

I read on Trackforum that Robbie MaGeeHeeHee is awaiting some money. Strike up the band, we gots us another entry. I read on TrackForum that Newman Haas is coming to Indy? WOW really? I read on TrackForum blahblahblah

change your name to "racing **** stirrer" and get back with us

Ziggy

Should have made it clearer that I WAS NOT calling this fact. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Still, TSO has been reporting on this, and my main point in starting this thread was just to chuckle at the possibility of it.

I agree with JB. If they keep TK muzzled, well :thumdown: , but if it's TK unleashed, well the sheer entertainment value will make it interesting.

SteveH
02-22-04, 02:47 PM
Do you subscribe to TSO?

Insomniac
02-22-04, 05:57 PM
No

February 8, 2004.

Why am I not surprised that they would try and hire the group who produced CART's broadcasts last year.

Insomniac
02-22-04, 05:59 PM
This thread is very reminiscent to another forum. :shakehead

How about we wait until an announcemt?

The only issue I have with it is that it wasn't clearly just labeled a rumor. I don't see anything wrong with speculating and discussing things.

racer2c
02-22-04, 09:43 PM
The only issue I have with it is that it wasn't clearly just labeled a rumor. I don't see anything wrong with speculating and discussing things.

I agree and was also involved with the discussion. My comments stemmed from the thread taking on a doom and gloom tone aimed at Champ Car. Coupled with other threads and the usual suspects...

4wheeldrifter
02-23-04, 02:28 PM
... Robbie MaGeeHeeHee ....

Ziggy

"Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin' on a train.... :cool:

Racing Truth
02-23-04, 03:06 PM

Yeah, and again, I'd like to apologize for that. I knew it was NOT fact, but never made that clear, and as I'm now learning, no one seems to know anything for sure. Gee fellas, what's your hurry? I mean, you still have a whopping SIX DAYS left to secure an announce crew. :saywhat:

And SteveH: No, but little tidbits from TSO usually end up on TF eventually.

Steve99
02-23-04, 03:26 PM
Page and Goodyear won't be able to keep up with anything TK says.

Nice to see IRL is trying to poach Lingner Group now too. Good thing TG hates everything about CART. :shakehead

Brickman
02-23-04, 03:38 PM

Nice to see IRL is trying to poach Lingner Group now too. Good thing TG hates everything about CART. :shakehead

Trying? Done.

JLMannin
02-23-04, 03:48 PM
I mean, you still have a whopping SIX DAYS left to secure an announce crew. :saywhat:

What is the concequence of not having an announcing crew made public by February 29? :saywhat:

Racing Truth
02-23-04, 04:11 PM
What is the concequence of not having an announcing crew made public by February 29? :saywhat:

It shows an appalling lack of organization and preparedness.

RichK
02-23-04, 04:23 PM

Yes, like Formula 1 announcing SPEED coverage on the eve of the first race of the year. Good thing F1 got their **** together this year regarding their announcers, otherwise they'd be DOOMED! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Turn7
02-23-04, 04:26 PM

You are talking about the IRL correct? Is the first race this weekend?

If so, does it really matter if you know who the broadcast team is before the race?

I watch football all the time without regard to who will be in the booth.

Broadcast crews are not something that I get worked up about no matter what the sport or series.

Racing Truth
02-23-04, 06:26 PM
Yes, like Formula 1 announcing SPEED coverage on the eve of the first race of the year. Good thing F1 got their **** together this year regarding their announcers, otherwise they'd be DOOMED! :cry: :cry: :cry:

F1 is a unique situation, and I would further say that it wasn't handled well at all either.

Maybe you're right, but they've had 4-5 months to think about this, and still no confirmation.

Insomniac
02-23-04, 07:55 PM
You are talking about the IRL correct? Is the first race this weekend?

If so, does it really matter if you know who the broadcast team is before the race?

I watch football all the time without regard to who will be in the booth.

Broadcast crews are not something that I get worked up about no matter what the sport or series.

I don't think it is something you have to know, but since you'll be watching them all season, it's nice to know. We usually know who the MNF crew is going to be. It's more like that than the Sunday afternoon crews. (Although you can find out who that crew will be before the game too)

cart7
02-23-04, 07:57 PM
Somehow, I think the broadcasting team was the last thing on there mind.

Oops, 1k in posts. I spend too much time here. :gomer:

Firestorm
02-23-04, 08:46 PM
Perhaps ABC will add Tony George to the broadcast booth to increase the excitement level even more:

Paul: "Whoa! Whoaaaa! Whoooo! Those cars almost touched wheels. That was a close call, right Tony?"

Tony: "I don't know."

Scott: "In racing, that is what we call 'almost touching'."

Paul: "Uh, yeah, right Scott. Whoa! Whoaaaa! A yellow flag is out for debris!"

and so on for two boring hours of 10 minutes of gas pedal to the floor "racing" :saywhat: interspersed with 15 minutes of commercials, etc.

I'd rather watch paint dry.

Insomniac
02-24-04, 09:32 AM
Somehow, I think the broadcasting team was the last thing on there mind.

Oops, 1k in posts. I spend too much time here. :gomer:

But now you're a weeeeeeeeeener! :)

Insomniac
02-24-04, 09:34 AM
and so on for two boring hours of 10 minutes of gas pedal to the floor "racing" :saywhat: interspersed with 15 minutes of commercials, etc.

More like 30 minutes of commercials with Mikey pimping out to Honda. ;)

RaceGrrl
02-25-04, 09:45 PM

Neither will the average :gomer:

JoeBob
02-25-04, 10:22 PM
Looks like TK won't be on ESPN. The ABC Crew is "TBA."

http://www.indyracingleague.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=2335

Page and Goodyear are back and the booth, Gary Gerould has been replaced by Supercross Pit Hottie Jamie Little, and Jack Arute will keep doing whatever it is he does.

Insomniac
02-26-04, 09:05 AM
Gary Gerould has been replaced by Supercross Pit Hottie Jamie Little

Do they really want her showing up Sarah Fisher? Just the eye candy improves the broadcast infinitely. ;)

Racing Truth
02-26-04, 03:19 PM
Looks like TK won't be on ESPN. The ABC Crew is "TBA."

http://www.indyracingleague.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=2335

Page and Goodyear are back and the booth, Gary Gerould has been replaced by Supercross Pit Hottie Jamie Little, and Jack Arute will keep doing whatever it is he does.

Getting rid of Gerould over Arute is sheer idiocy. As for the babe, she's just that, but it might make pit reports, ahh, more interesting. ;)

Steve99
02-26-04, 04:21 PM
Getting rid of Gerould over Arute is sheer idiocy.

I missed that they were getting rid of Gary Gerould. He must have been too good to be on that team. Threw off the grading curve.

Sean O'Gorman
02-26-04, 04:49 PM
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/FHMCover.jpg

I guess you have to give them credit for trying, but I'm still not going to watch IRL unless there are no other races on. ;)

Insomniac
02-26-04, 09:08 PM
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/FHMCover.jpg

I guess you have to give them credit for trying, but I'm still not going to watch IRL unless there are no other races on. ;)

At least they were smart enough to upgrade the position. As opposed to Lisa Guerrero replacing Melissa Stark on MNF.

Brickman
02-26-04, 10:21 PM
That's their pit reporter??

BM

Brickman
02-26-04, 10:26 PM
Nevermind...

http://www.dirtrider.com/141_0401_jme/

rabbit
02-27-04, 01:08 AM
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/FHMCover.jpgSee, watching paint dry can be fun.

indyfan31
03-09-04, 06:25 PM
Well, no wonder he wasn't in the booth with the IRL goofs. This is a very cool announcement, although I'll miss him in the ChampCar booth.

TK to TA (http://www.champweb.net/coverage.php)