39) John Andretti, No. 1 Snap-On Chevrolet, provisional
40) Joe Ruttman, No. 09 Dodge, provisional
41) Kirk Shelmerdine, No. 72 Freddie B's/Tucson Ford, attempts
42) Carl Long, No. 46 Al Smith Dodge Dodge, 24.615
43) Andy Hillenburg, No. 80 Commercial Truck & Trailer Ford, 24.930

Did not qualify:

Morgan Shepherd, No. 89 Voyles John Deere Ford, no time
Andy Belmont, No. 49 Soutern Pan Services Pontiac, no time

Even in a depleted field, Foyt Racing swirls around near the tail end in the eddy.

Hark! Rejoice! AJFour doubles the Fultility next weekend. :)

DaveL
02-21-04, 12:33 AM
And the running order by lap ten will still read: 39. 72-Shelmerdine....40. 80-Hillenberg...41. 09-Ruttman...42. 46-Long...43. 14-Foyt

Although positions 39-42 may vary a bit.

Ziggy
02-21-04, 01:52 AM
Nice effort by Mr. Andretti. Bet they cant wait to sign him to a long term deal...... who is Carl Long? Dont tell me the heir to the Long Donuts fortune has forsaken his dreams of Indy to run with the tintop set. Say it aint so Gomer

Ziggy

Brickman
02-21-04, 02:01 AM
Nice effort by Mr. Andretti. Bet they cant wait to sign him to a long term deal...... who is Carl Long? Dont tell me the heir to the Long Donuts fortune has forsaken his dreams of Indy to run with the tintop set. Say it aint so Gomer

Ziggy

Mmmmmm dougnuts.

He's been around running a few races in the past few years, goes home or finds wall.

http://www.carl-long.com/

Sean O'Gorman
02-21-04, 03:11 AM
Way to go Larry, beating John Andretti and a bunch of guys who have no intention of running past the first pit stop. :laugh:

mapguy
02-21-04, 08:40 AM
who is Carl Long?

Didn't he write "Blue Suede shoes"?

JT265
02-21-04, 10:22 AM
That was the guy from Perkins restaurants that done that.

Stay with the tour!!! :saywhat:

:D

cart7
02-22-04, 07:26 AM
The bottom 3 were so slow, they could go a lap down before the pace lap is over.

JohnHKart
02-22-04, 08:26 AM
The bottom 3 were so slow, they could go a lap down before the pace lap is over.

Thanks Cart 7.......I just had a good laugh over that!

John

Railbird
02-22-04, 08:32 AM
Carl Long got his big break after advertising hisself in the NSSN classifieds for a year or two.

Ya gotta know you're big time team owner when you pluck your driver out of a help wanted add.

pchall
02-22-04, 10:17 AM
In this morning's snapper wrapper one of the NASCAR articles from the AP says there are 37 regular NASCAR teams at Rockingham this weekend. Not being an expert on these matters -- only a cynical outside observer -- which part-time operation out qualified our hero Larry?

BTW, what's up with the sextugenarian starting in 40th with a provisional? Even Mario had the good grace to retire in his 50s...

Dvdb
02-22-04, 03:14 PM
Former crew chief for Earnhart

41) Kirk Shelmerdine, No. 72 Freddie B's/Tucson Ford, attempts

S. Louis Post-Dispatch (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Auto+Racing/9155281B5D4E354586256E420024AD77?OpenDocument&Headline=McMurray+surprises+no+one)

Racewriter
02-22-04, 03:57 PM
Carl Long got his big break after advertising hisself in the NSSN classifieds for a year or two.

Ya gotta know you're big time team owner when you pluck your driver out of a help wanted add.

That's Carl Edwards, Railbird.

JT265
02-22-04, 04:27 PM
That's Carl Edwards, Railbird.

All those Carls look alike anyway.

:D

DaveL
02-22-04, 04:38 PM
Larry stuffed the car into the fence after spending the day running ahead of the start and parks, Johnson who wrecked, and Burton who had to change a radiator.

Not since....uh...I'm thinking...Bub Strickler* ran Cup races has a driver and team been as impressive.

*No I did not make that driver up. Although I bet Bub Strickler probably won races at some dirt bowl track somewhere which is more than can be said for Larry.

Foyt Racing: 0 for NASCAR and counting.

Racewriter
02-22-04, 04:45 PM
Larry stuffed the car into the fence after spending the day running ahead of the start and parks, Johnson who wrecked, and Burton who had to change a radiator.

Not since....uh...I'm thinking...Bub Strickler* ran Cup races has a driver and team been as impressive.

*No I did not make that driver up. Although I bet Bub Strickler probably won races at some dirt bowl track somewhere which is more than can be said for Larry.

Foyt Racing: 0 for NASCAR and counting.

Bub actually has an ARCA win, and several NASCAR late model sportsman wins, to his credit...:D:D:D

Now, Long and Hillenburg are ahead of Lightning Larry...

Brickman
02-22-04, 04:51 PM
Long just got done barrel rolling.

JT265
02-22-04, 04:53 PM
Carl Long.....................isn't today.

That is all.

Racewriter
02-22-04, 04:56 PM
Not his fault at all.

cart7
02-22-04, 04:58 PM
I think his trap speeds, when he was on his roof, may have been his best all weekend. :D

DaveL
02-22-04, 05:51 PM
Bub actually has an ARCA win, and several NASCAR late model sportsman wins, to his credit...:D:D:D

Gee, who'da guessed that R-Dub would have known who Bub Strickler was? Next thing ya know he'll be telling us Wayne Wattercutter's career highlights ;)

For those who didn't see it, Carl Long was totally innocent in the wreck. Two other cars tangled and he got hooked into the wall when he drove by.

Racewriter
02-22-04, 06:13 PM
Gee, who'da guessed that R-Dub would have known who Bub Strickler was? Next thing ya know he'll be telling us Wayne Wattercutter's career highlights ;)

For those who didn't see it, Carl Long was totally innocent in the wreck. Two other cars tangled and he got hooked into the wall when he drove by.

Wayne's career highlights basically included having some very pretty cars. #77 IIRC.:p

Who ya wanna know about next, Dave? LaMarr Marshall? Woody Fisher? Iggy Katona? Ramo?:D

And it sucks that Carl's only car got wadded today...

DaveL
02-22-04, 06:22 PM
Who ya wanna know about next, Dave? LaMarr Marshall? Woody Fisher? Iggy Katona? Ramo?:D

I know Ramo Stott is famous for at least two things: Winning the Pole at Daytona in '76 because everyone who qualified faster than him got caught cheating (including AJ), and blowing his engine at Talledega in 1973 triggering, like, a 70 car pileup...or something of that magnitude.

cart7
02-22-04, 06:23 PM

Kind of surprising that the condition of the car didn't look that bad considering the violence of that wreck.

Lizzerd
02-22-04, 06:26 PM

Kind of surprising that the condition of the car didn't look that bad considering the violence of that wreck.

Yeah, but I'll betcha that frame ain't quite straight no more.

And I agree, it does suck that it was his only car.

Racewriter
02-22-04, 06:28 PM
I know Ramo Stott is famous for at least two things: Winning the Pole at Daytona in '76 because everyone who qualified faster than him got caught cheating (including AJ), and blowing his engine at Talledega in 1973 triggering, like, a 70 car pileup...or something of that magnitude.

:D:D

In addition to two ARCA championships, Ramo was the undisputed party champion wherever he raced for nearly two decades, in IMCA, USAC, ARCA, and NASCAR. I was there as a kid in '76 at Daytona. Foyt and Waltrip got caught with nitrous, and Dave Marcis got caught with a grill-closing mechanism. Ramo qualified 4th, and Terry Ryan 5th, for an all-Iowa front row in the Daytona 500.

Ramo had a couple of seconds in NASCAR, and numerous big-track wins with ARCA and USAC.

In '62, my dad was racing IMCA with Ramo, and as a gimmick had an all-girl pit crew. One night at Oklahoma City during the fair, much alcohol was consumed, and the girls gave Ramo a full makeup and dress job. Photos exist, but Dad hasn't been able to find his for a long time.

Incidentally, Ramo's last ARCA win was in 1988, over the age of 50...

pchall
02-22-04, 06:45 PM
Funny stuff.

But, back to the topic.

If I read the scroll on the top of the screen correctly and the final graphics as I roll some tape, Larry finished 32nd only thirteen laps down to the winner. Isn't that an improvement if you disregard the field fillers? ;)

pchall
02-23-04, 10:06 AM
Correction.

Larry finished twenty laps down according to the morning paper.

And it looks like Joe Ruttman parked it after one lap running with the turn signal on continuously. ;)

Wheel-Nut
02-23-04, 11:03 AM
We should take up a collection for Carl Long. Maybe we could collect enough money to get him a test in Larry's seat!

Racewriter
02-23-04, 01:09 PM
We should take up a collection for Carl Long. Maybe we could collect enough money to get him a test in Larry's seat!

:D:D

No way would anyone named Foyt want that to happen. They'd find out if they really did have a decent car. Carl was a winner on the late model circuits of the South...

JLMannin
02-23-04, 01:50 PM

Ramo Stott and Alan Kulwicki were both from Keokuk, Iowa. The Blankenship brothers were also from there.

I think Stott is still building racing engines, but I am not sure.

cart7
02-23-04, 02:24 PM
I didn't realize this yesterday, but according to the paper this morning, Ruttman drove the car around the track for a lap and parked it. He had no pitcrew! :eek:

Racewriter
02-23-04, 03:13 PM
Ramo Stott and Alan Kulwicki were both from Keokuk, Iowa. The Blankenship brothers were also from there.

I think Stott is still building racing engines, but I am not sure.

No on Kulwicki. Alan was from Wisconsin. However, Keokuk produced an incredible number of top stock car drivers, including:

Ramo Stott
Ernie Derr
Mike Derr
Don White
Dick Hutcherson
Ron Hutcherson
Lem Blankenship
Gordy Blankenship

And probably a couple I'm forgetting...

DaveL
02-23-04, 03:26 PM
No on Kulwicki. Alan was from Wisconsin. However, Keokuk produced an incredible number of top stock car drivers, including:

Ramo Stott
Ernie Derr
Mike Derr
Don White
Dick Hutcherson
Ron Hutcherson
Lem Blankenship
Gordy Blankenship

I have an old magazine that lists ASA results from the Milwuakee Mile. Dick Trickle, as usual, won and Kulwicki and Mark Martin were also in the field that day.

Dick Hutcherson has gone on to even greater fame as one half of the Hutcherson-Pagan firm which produces first rate off the shelf or built to order chassis.

Racing Truth
02-23-04, 03:31 PM
I didn't realize this yesterday, but according to the paper this morning, Ruttman drove the car around the track for a lap and parked it. He had no pitcrew! :eek:

Pffffttttt. Sure, if you're going to harp on little details like that. ;) :laugh:

Brickman
02-23-04, 03:45 PM
Pffffttttt. Sure, if you're going to harp on little details like that. ;) :laugh:

What and share the $54,196. winnings with the crew?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/2004-02-22-rockingham-results.htm

JLMannin
02-23-04, 03:54 PM

Ramo Stott
Ernie Derr
Mike Derr
Don White
Dick Hutcherson
Ron Hutcherson
Lem Blankenship
Gordy Blankenship

The Derr family and owns operates a used car dealership in Keokuk - they are very well respected by the community. I did not know the family had a connection to racing. Kulwicki was from Wisconsin, but I thought there was some sort of Keokuk connection, but I cannot remember specifically - it has been over 10 years. I remember him in the ARTGO stocks in the midwest and in the ASA series with sponsorship from 97X out of the quad-cities (Rock Island) (WXLP?)