PDA

View Full Version : A poll for Indiana folk (timezonegate)

JLMannin
02-20-04, 02:39 PM
It seems that this topic comes up every year.

I say go to CST and honor DST. Since this planet has time zones, there will be people who live near time zone borders. Deal with it.

Indiana needs to be the same relative time to the states around it, year around, IMO. It would alleviate much confusion. I think that most of Indiana is too far west to be in the Eastern time zone - that it why I think we are in this sellf-inflicted "limbo time zone".

I lived in western Michigan (which is in the eastern time zone and honors DST) and in the middle of June, the sun did not set intil well after 9:30 pm, and it was twilight until 11pm. When you have to get up at 5 am to go to work, it is really hard to go to bed while the sun is shining. In Indiana goes EST w/DST, that is what will happen. Add to that the fact that the morning commute to work and school will be when it is picth black in the spring and fall at the beginning and end of DST, and that is a real safety issue with school buses loading in full-darkness conditions.

Plus, with central time, I would not have to stay up until 11pm to see the news :saywhat:

RichK
02-20-04, 03:02 PM
I voted the same as you. When I worked in Indiana, our out-of-state contacts were always confused. I'd bet alot of $$ in efficiency is lost due to the dumb time zones.

Lizzerd
02-20-04, 03:57 PM
I used to work in a local (Indianapolis) office of an international company. My boss was in Chicago. Seems that every week he would have to ask me what time it is here.

Legend has it that it has always been the powerful farmers lobby that has routinely opposed DST. Their argument was that the cows would get confused at milking time when the clocks were changed twice a year.

To heck with them... As a gomer, I voted for EST honoring DST.

PlanMan
02-20-04, 04:18 PM
Legend has it that it has always been the powerful farmers lobby that has routinely opposed DST. Their argument was that the cows would get confused at milking time when the clocks were changed twice a year.

I wouldn't doubt it. My grandfather was a dairy farmer in a state that had DST. He (& the cows) just ignored what the clock said. When the clock gets turned forward, you're getting up at 5 am instead of 4!

fourrunner
02-20-04, 04:38 PM
They should use whatever format doesn't confuse the Quayle Family! ;)

BTW - we have Dairy Cows in Pennsylvania - They seem to adjust just fine - but they're easier to Tip Over during DST! ;)

WickerBill
02-20-04, 08:48 PM
BTW - we have Dairy Cows in Pennsylvania - They seem to adjust just fine - but they're easier to Tip Over during DST! ;)

hahaha

Ed_Severson
02-20-04, 11:54 PM
We should stay where we are ... if the rest of the world finds it comforting to aimlessly alter their clocks twice a year, let 'em.

There are 24 hours in a day either way. Bouncing back and forth is just rule by stupidity, in my opinion.

Ziggy
02-21-04, 12:11 AM
I vote for Central Time

Ziggy

Railbird
02-21-04, 12:24 AM
One zone or the other the state needs to observe DLS for the reason Lizzerd touched on.

My vote goes for Eastern and DLS, I like the long evenings and hate driving to work at 6a with my sunglasses on.

TravelGal
02-21-04, 11:25 AM
I lived in Indiana one year when they had DST and had that "Gee it's still light out, why is it nearly 10 PM?" experience. Actually, I kinda liked it. But then, I'm a night person so having natural light while I stayed up late was extremely convenient.

Wasn't Indiana was once in Central time? I mean, back in the 50's or something? I thought the change was made to keep it with "New York Time" as it was then generally called. NY being the center of the universe you understand (just ask them). There was also the "we need to keep the time zone line somewhat straight so it's not confusing" reason. :rolleyes:

What is MORE confusing to me is Arizona that does not honor DST. I *never* know whether they are an hour ahead or the same as California. So, even though my vote doesn't count, I say, pick one zone or another but honor DST!

JT265
02-21-04, 11:31 AM
To quote Tommy Chong, "I ain't into time, man." :D