PDA

View Full Version : Expect drumbeat of news from CCWS

Big Mo
02-20-04, 09:55 AM
Many including myself have wondered where all the announcements are once OWRS closed on the CART assets purchase.

I think the twin announcements Thursday by RuSport and Toyota were the continuation of what we in the public relations profession call a "steady drumbeat of news." The idea is not to throw out all your news at one news conference and have a couple of days of reporting by the media and then disappear until the April Long Beach race. They've already made announcements on rules changes, etc.

You stagger your announcements to keep a steady flow of news about the series. Whoever is heading up PR for the Champ Car World Series has a schedule of testing, etc. A smart play is to report news out of the testing sessions. On the other days, every few days, release more details about the upcoming season.

Here's likely what's to come:
- Release the 2004 Schedule
- Announce a sponsorship deal for a team
- Announce the TV package for '04
- Announce management hierarchy

All this leads up to the March Spring Training event at Long Beach when everyone will be available for interviews and a lot of news will be generated. Some of the above news may be held until the event. I wouldn't expect it to all come out on a single day.

Give credit to Paul Tracy for making himself available for a multitude of interviews over the past month as defending champion. He's a terrific ambassador given his personality.

Big Mo

JLMannin
02-20-04, 01:34 PM
Getting the TV package together and out there is the top priority, IMO. For this fan, the series has turned the corner and the buzz is coming back. It is very refreshing to have a series of announcements that are not bad news.

Rob
02-20-04, 02:04 PM
Here's likely what's to come:
- Release the 2004 Schedule
- Announce a sponsorship deal for a team
- Announce the TV package for '04
- Announce management hierarchy

Items 1 and 3 are must-haves, no doubt about it. From my understanding, we won't see any individual team sponsorship deal announcements trickle out, because they will be unveiling all the team/sponsor deals on March 8 and 9.