PDA

View Full Version : Dammit!! Am I late to the party???

TrueBrit
02-20-04, 01:39 AM
Okay, so there's no REAL replacement for Alice In Chains but am I wrong in thinking that Puddle of Mudd is pretty darn close??

Before you mock me, bear in mind that when I purchased "Life On Display" it was the first 'new' CD I have bought in ten years (at least) because the "music" that has been foisted upon us this last decade is nothing but dreck IMHO...

So go ahead and laugh at me, but I really like these guys.....

Thoughts??

Sean O'Gorman
02-20-04, 01:41 AM
Okay, so there's no REAL replacement for Alice In Chains but am I wrong in thinking that Puddle of Mudd is pretty darn close??

Yes you are. I know its just an opinion, but its still wrong. ;)

You wouldn't replace Pearl Jam with Creed too, would you?

TrueBrit
02-20-04, 02:22 AM
Yes you are. I know its just an opinion, but its still wrong. ;)

You wouldn't replace Pearl Jam with Creed too, would you?

Don't like PJ that much although i do know that Creed licks sphincter..... ;)

chop456
02-20-04, 02:57 AM
So go ahead and laugh at me

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not much for anyone who does a "novelty song" like "She F'n Hates Me". Unless the rest of their stuff is stellar, I'll keep them in the same category as Ugly Kid Joe.

C'mon TB - you're cooler than that. :D

TrueBrit
02-20-04, 02:59 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

;)

Oi!!! Milwaukee this year??? Someone owes someone else a beer (or three) if memory serves matey....

chop456
02-20-04, 03:05 AM
Oi!!! Milwaukee this year??? Someone owes someone else a beer (or three) if memory serves matey....

I'm there. Grandstands for the racing and infield for the partying. Friday and Saturday.

And I think you were one beer ahead of me at Chicago - let's not get greedy. If I buy you 3, they'll be Bud Lights! :eek: ;)

TrueBrit
02-20-04, 03:07 AM
I'm there. Grandstands for the racing and infield for the partying. Friday and Saturday.

And I think you were one beer ahead of me at Chicago - let's not get greedy. If I buy you 3, they'll be Bud Lights! :eek: ;)

Infield all day Saturday, grill will be hot, beer will be cold....your call.... ;)

P.S. I'am ALWAYS one beer ahead....just ask Zanardi Enthusiast (Pinniped)...!!! :D

jcollins28
02-20-04, 06:10 AM
TB go get AudioSlave's new cd. Or if you are really into Alice in Chains get some of Screeming Tree's stuff or Mudhoney or one of my favorites any Foo Fighters cd. I really do not care for Puddle of Mud. In fact Puddle of Mud is nothing more then boy band produced grunge band thrown together by Fred Durst. I will admit that they do have some songs with some hooks in it though.

Dr. Corkski
02-20-04, 06:14 AM
OK, TB, I can respect that you are a Cheques fan.

But Puddle of Crap? Puddle of Crap? :D

nz_climber
02-20-04, 06:37 AM
like they said - puddle of @$%^

what you really want is A Perfect Circle, I saw their concert the other week and they rock, they are made up from members of some huge bands (tool, smashing pumpkins, marilin manson,...)

Dirty Sanchez
02-20-04, 10:48 AM
:saywhat:

KLang
02-20-04, 10:50 AM
I must be getting old, I don't recognize hardly any of the bands mentioned in this thread. :o

anait
02-20-04, 11:26 AM
I must be getting old, I don't recognize hardly any of the bands mentioned in this thread.

Shhhhh...we should try to maintain our illusion of youthfulness...just nod your head and pretend you know what they're talking about... ;)

...hem...hem...

"Great discussion! Aren't new bands interesting? I'm very down with the new music."

G.
02-20-04, 02:51 PM
like they said - puddle of @$%^

what you really want is A Perfect Circle, I saw their concert the other week and they rock, they are made up from members of some huge bands (tool, smashing pumpkins, marilin manson,...)I thought that APC was just Tool. They were into some contract issues and could not perform as Tool, so they just came up with a new name. They resolved the contract stuff and I thought that they were back as Tool. Was Maynard singing for APC?

Something that I heard a bit of buzz about is a band called "Ima Robot". Anyone know anything??

Puddle does sound a bit too polished for a new band, but I do find myself groovin to the tunes.

Last ten years I've been buying very little, 'cept for some punk/ska on occasion.

Willam
02-20-04, 10:52 PM
A Perfect Circle is a side-project by Maynard, and you were half-right, it was started so he could do something during the contract dispute hiatus Tool was taking. I'm in Mexico and I'm not heading up for the tour, but I'd check it out, especially since The Mars Volta (one of the bands formed after At The Drive-In split up) is opening for them, if you haven't heard of the band check it out, they're pretty amazing.

And btw, I don't want to be the guy that nerdy music guy that gets offended when someone compares one band to another, but comparing Puddle of Mud to AIC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:flame:

C'mon...Layne's probably rolling in his grave right about now!

Puddle of Mud is nothing but a cookie-cutter boy band with long hair and tattoos...

TB, if you want to check out a "new" band, do yourself a favor and check out The Mars Volta.

nz_climber
02-21-04, 06:30 AM
APC = Billy Howerdel composer and guitar
Maynard James Keenan words and vocals
Josh Freese drums
Jeordie White bass guitar
James Iha guitar

This from a rock site sums up apc's short history

SUPERGROUP ALERT! A Perfect Circle started out as “Dude, did you hear Maynard’s new side project?”, a melodic version of Tool’s prog metal featuring a bunch of then-unknowns such as former guitar tech Billy Howerdel, former teacher Paz Lenchantin, and session drummer Josh Freese. After the platinum success of the band’s first album, Maynard returned to Tool to release both the bits ‘n’ pieces CD/DVD tome Sylavil and a full-length disc, Lateralus, which fans gobbled up in the summer of 2001. Paz Lenchantin left the group when Billy Corgan came calling to form (and later disband) Zwan, guitarist Troy VanLeeuwen became the guitarist for Queens of the Stone Age, and Freese did some drumming for top 40 goths Evanescence, turning the Circle into a supergroup after the fact.

To make the new album and subsequent tour possible, Maynard and Howerdel traded one Corgan punching bag for another, replacing Lenchantin with former Smashing Pumpkin James Iha, while substituting Van Leeuwen with Twiggy from Marilyn Manson, now called Jeordie White, sealing the Supergroup label once and for all.

These guys rock :) Billy Howerdel is an amazing guitar player!

Cam
02-21-04, 09:12 AM
APC = Billy Howerdel composer and guitar
Maynard James Keenan words and vocals
Josh Freese drums
Jeordie White bass guitar
James Iha guitar

This from a rock site sums up apc's short history

SUPERGROUP ALERT! A Perfect Circle started out as “Dude, did you hear Maynard’s new side project?”, a melodic version of Tool’s prog metal featuring a bunch of then-unknowns such as former guitar tech Billy Howerdel, former teacher Paz Lenchantin, and session drummer Josh Freese. After the platinum success of the band’s first album, Maynard returned to Tool to release both the bits ‘n’ pieces CD/DVD tome Sylavil and a full-length disc, Lateralus, which fans gobbled up in the summer of 2001. Paz Lenchantin left the group when Billy Corgan came calling to form (and later disband) Zwan, guitarist Troy VanLeeuwen became the guitarist for Queens of the Stone Age, and Freese did some drumming for top 40 goths Evanescence, turning the Circle into a supergroup after the fact.

To make the new album and subsequent tour possible, Maynard and Howerdel traded one Corgan punching bag for another, replacing Lenchantin with former Smashing Pumpkin James Iha, while substituting Van Leeuwen with Twiggy from Marilyn Manson, now called Jeordie White, sealing the Supergroup label once and for all.

These guys rock :) Billy Howerdel is an amazing guitar player!

I thought English was the major language on these boards? :saywhat:

TrueBrit
02-21-04, 12:25 PM
A Perfect Circle is a side-project by Maynard, and you were half-right, it was started so he could do something during the contract dispute hiatus Tool was taking. I'm in Mexico and I'm not heading up for the tour, but I'd check it out, especially since The Mars Volta (one of the bands formed after At The Drive-In split up) is opening for them, if you haven't heard of the band check it out, they're pretty amazing.

And btw, I don't want to be the guy that nerdy music guy that gets offended when someone compares one band to another, but comparing Puddle of Mud to AIC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:flame:

C'mon...Layne's probably rolling in his grave right about now!

Puddle of Mud is nothing but a cookie-cutter boy band with long hair and tattoos...

TB, if you want to check out a "new" band, do yourself a favor and check out The Mars Volta.

Like I said, "There's no REAL replacement for AIC"...Cut on old(er) guy some slack, slick.... :cool:

Bear in mind that when I get a little sauced I like to pull out CD's of bands from MY youth and weep quietly at the sorry state of today's music...You younger kids might want to do yourself a favour and check out the following titles to hear how live music SHOULD sound...Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous" and UFO "Strangers in the night" quite possibly two of the best "live" albums ever released...Brings back memories of some VERY good gigs I attended at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the day...

Boy do I feel old...!!!! :(

Michaelhatesfans
02-22-04, 02:13 AM
"Brings back memories of some VERY good gigs I attended at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the day..."

That got my wife's attention, TB. She grew up about five minutes walk from there. Sadly, the bands that she saw there were Culture Club (with her mum, who forced everyone in front of them to sit down throughout the show :laugh: ) and Terrence Trent D'arby*. Don't judge her too harshly, though - she loves Champs Cars and F1, and shares your views on Herr Schumacher. :cool:

* I was going to use "sp?" and then I thought, "who cares?!" :laugh:

nz_climber
02-22-04, 03:02 PM
I thought English was the major language on these boards? :saywhat:

I thought it was engrish :gomer: :saywhat:

Cam
02-22-04, 07:58 PM
I thought it was engrish :gomer: :saywhat:
:laugh: :laugh: