PDA

View Full Version : No Friday coverage on Speed?

nrc
01-29-03, 01:43 AM
CART has TV schedules for St.Pete and Monterrey up and neither date shows any Friday coverage. No Friday qualifying, no CART Friday Night. :(

It looks like they may be getting more replays for qualifying and the race as a "make good" for the air time, so I wonder whether this is a move to cut costs or just a reaction to the fact that NASCAR and Bush qualifying will have most of the Friday airtime now.

Lizzerd
01-29-03, 02:12 AM
Maybe our nightmare is coming true. More NASCAR on Speed.

I haven't looked yet, but what is up in the time slot for Friday's on track activity? "NASCAR Tech Talk"? "Inside Winston Cup"? "Classic Daytona 500's"? "In the Garage with Michael Waltrip"? Some combination of all/some of the above?

I'm not complaining yet, because there is more CART on Speed than we could ever ask for from The Mouse, but CFN was great, and I will miss Friday activity if it really is gone.

rabbit
01-29-03, 02:13 AM
bummer

rocket
01-29-03, 02:21 AM
I read on another site they have dropped the Friday coverage due to low ratings:( I agree with Lizzerd though, the coverage on Speed is better than what there was before

dirtyboy
01-29-03, 03:20 AM
For the most part I never had the chance to watch the Friday Qualifying but it was nice to know it was there, plus they replayed it in the evening, which was very helpful. IMO Friday is the best drinking day for racing, at the track or not! I figure those guys are at the track anyway why not put it on TV?

nrc
01-29-03, 03:21 AM
SPEED schedule for Friday, February 21.

12:00 pm VICTORY BY DESIGN Porsche
1:30 pm NASCAR BUSCH QUALIFYING Rockingham
3:00 pm NASCAR CLASSICS 1997 Michigan 400
6:00 pm Legends of Motorsport Works Entry: Alpine Rally - 1963
6:30 pm Totally NASCAR
7:00 pm Trackside at... Rockingham
8:00 pm NASCAR WINSTON CUP QUALIFYING Rockingham
9:30 pm NASCAR BUSCH QUALIFYING Rockingham
11:00 pm Dave Despain Show
11:30 pm Legends of Motorsport Works Entry: Alpine Rally - 1963

RTKar
01-29-03, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by nrc
SPEED schedule for Friday, February 21.

12:00 pm VICTORY BY DESIGN Porsche
1:30 pm NASCAR BUSCH QUALIFYING Rockingham
3:00 pm NASCAR CLASSICS 1997 Michigan 400
6:00 pm Legends of Motorsport Works Entry: Alpine Rally - 1963
6:30 pm Totally NASCAR
7:00 pm Trackside at... Rockingham
8:00 pm NASCAR WINSTON CUP QUALIFYING Rockingham
9:30 pm NASCAR BUSCH QUALIFYING Rockingham
11:00 pm Dave Despain Show
11:30 pm Legends of Motorsport Works Entry: Alpine Rally - 1963

Look at all that garbage, here we go again......Can we possibly get a "Speed 2"?, Clunker racing doesn't interest me.

skidmarks
01-29-03, 09:22 AM
I may watch the Victory by Design, but the Legends of Motorsport entry is just filler, why not cover Champcars?

They could have no announcers, no panning cameras, just open mics, and a producer switching from one camera to another, just like if you were at the track, walking around. At the top of the screen they still could have the scrolling timing.

Or I could brush up on my knowledge of the 1963 Works Alpine. :rolleyes:

owfan
01-29-03, 09:31 AM
I wasn't a big fan of CFN, should be replaced by a Sunday night wrap or round table show.

Friday qualifying, watched it once, but had to take the day of work. I think the highlights (and hopefully they'll at least be at the track on Friday) from Friday can be used to fill the early part of Saturday qualifying. I don't think we'll see much less of Paul Tracy or the other competitors.

Elmo T
01-29-03, 09:40 AM
I watched it live a few times, but always taped it. I'd be happy with a taped broadcast that I could catch with the VCR.

mnkywrch
01-29-03, 09:41 AM
I suspect they'll normally have NASCAR qualifying in the time slot.

Motorsportstv.com had the following:

Fox Sports Net to Air 5 Qualifying Sessions

Fox Sports Net will air five Winston Cup qualifying sessions live: Rockingham, Las Vegas, Darlington, Bristol, and Texas. (1/28)

NASCAR's the moneymaker on that channel. Always has been, always will be.

slashman
01-29-03, 11:16 AM
It's just not fair!!!:mad: :mad:

JoeBob
01-29-03, 11:34 AM
I'm not surprised at all. Most people are at work on Fridays, and can't watch the coverage anyway. 1 1/2 hours of Satellite time isn't cheap, and probably isn't worth it for something that even the die-hards don't get a chance to see, and more often than not is made irrelevant by the happenings on Saturday.

CFN going away isn't a surprise either. The shows were a mixed bag. They seemed to do well when they were "among the fans," but that only happened a couple of times. Most shows seemed to be from VIP Partys, where it was cool to act like you didn't care at all about the show.

Would I like to have Friday coverage? Sure! But, given the choice, I'd rather have awesome coverage on Saturday and Sunday over mediocre coverage on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Turn7
01-29-03, 11:44 AM
CFN was an awful show. In my opinion, it was good idea gone bad. The made up skits and such were very silly and would not make me want to watch the series at all.

CART could have received much more value out of a panel show like the NASCAR puts out. I don't watch NASCAR racing but, I do watch that show. It is entertaining, gives insight, reviews the last race, and promotes/previews the upcoming race. That is what a magazine styled show should be like.

Basically CFN was horrible and embarrassing at times.

Hopefully, if CART can find an avenue to address this type of show in the future they can follow NASCAR's lead and do a panel show instead of the skits, nonsense and horrible music.

RaceChic
01-29-03, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Turn7

Hopefully, if CART can find an avenue to address this type of show in the future they can follow NASCAR's lead and do a panel show instead of the skits, nonsense and horrible music.

With the way CART has turned things around thus far to the point where the media has commented what a great job Chris Pook has done resurecting it from the dead, then I think it is a matter of time before CART's supplemental television shows improve also.
Just wait.....................;)

damiandoan
01-29-03, 12:10 PM
Wasn't there a rumour several weeks ago about CFn being replaced by a panel type show?

DD