PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours of Portugal...karting race

champcarfan01
02-19-04, 06:25 AM
Has anyone ever been to an endurance karting event? Its a company that stages 3-6 hour races around the US and they send 3 teams to an international event outside lisbon. For a fee you....an amateur can race against other from around the world..usually an ex F-1 driver and a couple of proffesionals sneek in. I hear Clay Riggozoni...possibly a couple of American former indycar and nascar drivers will be there this year. It sounds like its a pretty decently covered event media wise, speedchannel usually reports on it.

Its like $1285 for the race, Im no Montoya but pretending I am for a few would be cool. Im thinking of going in 05' anybody game?

www.endurancekarting.com

Brian_R
02-19-04, 09:18 PM
That sounds like a fun time if you can get a team of drivers together, I think for the 6 hour it's $1600 or so split amongst the drivers, and I think you have to have at least 3 and as many as 6. Still looks cool :cool:

champcarfan01
02-19-04, 09:22 PM
Im thinking of doing a race in charlotte at the end of April this year...much more affordable than the 24 hrs. This way i can get some idea on what to expect in 05.

Joe in LA
02-20-04, 12:45 PM
I've done a few endurance kart races put on by Richie Hearn's family. Great fun. There is no cheaper way to get major seat time. A few hints--make sure your driving team isn't too disparate in sized/weight; it is really hard to make everyone happy if they can't more or less fit comfortably. Having a few pieces of foam to stick in/pull out with each driver is the most you want to do. Also, make sure you know in advance what, if any, wrenching will be required--it sounds like none for this group, but we had to supply a chassis and do our own engine install and set up for the Hearn run events. If any mechanical skills are required, make sure one of your team is very proficient. Mechancal issues killed my group every time. Finally, if you get practice before the event, run the kart dry a few times to gage its range--excess pit stops because you are concerned about the range are almost as bad as running dry half-way around the track during the race.