PDA

View Full Version : Paul Tracy on Windtunnel Tonite

fourrunner
02-18-04, 08:58 PM
AR 1 is reporting that Paul Tracy will appear via phone on Windtunnel tonite in the 10:45 segment from Las Vegas to Promote Long Beach and OWRS.

There is another thread that's saying that Kenny Brack will appear, but AR 1 doesn't mention that.

I'm figuring they're both going to be on, but thought it made sense to Promote the Tracy appearance since he races with us (OWRS)

Sounds like a good show either way

JT265
02-18-04, 09:43 PM
Kenny just wanted to vent his spleen, until the poor bastage realized he didn't have one anymore.

lone_groover
02-18-04, 10:14 PM
Kenny just wanted to vent his spleen, until the poor bastage realized he didn't have one anymore.

You fiend. :cry:

:D

Ziggy
02-18-04, 11:45 PM
Im sick of hearing how "diligent" the IRL is on safety. Brack and his ilk are like robots. They sidestep issues with double speak.

Ziggy

JT265
02-18-04, 11:51 PM
Agreed. Stepford Wifes, Pt.II.

fourrunner
02-19-04, 12:07 AM
JT .... lol :)

Loved the Tracy Interview... Wouldn't take the "Tony George Bait" from Despain... He's focused on OWRS, and sees it on the right track! Also had a "Classy" response to the IROC question ... Despain knows IROC was wrong and should have said so.

BTW - Tony George on WindTunnel on Monday .... Of course the loser won't appear live and take calls... not that anything but "Softballs" would get through anyway... Live or Tape !!;)

CART T. Katz
02-19-04, 01:32 AM
recap for those of us who don't get speed?

Jag_Warrior
02-19-04, 07:20 AM
Quick & Dirty Version: the ISC/NASCAR apologists are lying.... Tracy never got a call from IROC. The B.S. about scheduling conflicts is apparently just that... they never called him. Tracy said (at 35) he figured he had another 4 or 5 years left in open wheel, then he's goin' taxi cab racing.

Here's something odd. Tracy, a guy who has driven some d@mn fine races (and also made some legendary bonehead dives for position) and tested in F1 during the hot days of the early 90's (got undercut by Chin-boy), said he had maybe 5 years to race open wheelers at a top level. Buddy Lazier (at 35) figures he can race at the IRL level for another 5 to 10 years. Kenny Brack (same show) says ovals and road & street are all fun, but ovals are more dangerous (well, duh... the guy's now got more pins in him than a voodoo doll). Does anyone else see the breakdown in logic between Tracy and Lazier, throwing Brack's comments in for affect? Lazier is somewhere north of Sarah Fisher in talent and skills, but he's way south of Paul. IMO, he didn't have 10 more years... 10 years ago! :shakehead

Big Mo
02-19-04, 09:23 AM
Buddy was and always will be a back of the pack driver. Amazing when you're racing other back of the pack drivers on a 100 percent throttle track how you can occasionally pull out a win.

Ankf00
02-19-04, 10:26 AM
Wasn't it lazier's dad who, back in the day, said his kid would've been a CART champ?

4wheeldrifter
02-19-04, 10:36 AM
Wasn't it lazier's dad who, back in the day, said his kid would've been a CART champ?

Probably. My fondest memories are of him slathering around in the back of the pack with Hiro, et al. Who'da thunk he'd one day be an Indy 500 champion. :rolleyes:

RTKar
02-19-04, 10:43 AM
Im sick of hearing how "diligent" the IRL is on safety. Brack and his ilk are like robots. They sidestep issues with double speak.

Ziggy

They say that history repeats itself, for anyone that reads racing history as I know Ziggy and many of you do, doesn't this sound reminiscent of F1 circa early to mid 60's before Jackie Stewart took a bold leap and went against the grain calling out the powers to be on the lack of safety? It took the deaths of far too many guys and a driver boycott before significant changes were made. Look what it took in NASCAR....What will it take before the irl acts? Maybe drivers have the same courage on the track as they did 40 years ago but it appears they don't off of it.

lone_groover
02-19-04, 10:44 AM
Buddy could start his own team. Especially with all the money he expects from sueing Comedy Central for basing the character of "Special Ed" from CRANK YANKERS on him without permission.

:gomer:

Don Quixote
02-19-04, 11:37 AM

Well, Kenny said that everything about the IRL is great, crapwagons are great, the racing is great, and safe, and Tony George is great. I would cut these koolaide drinking traitors some slack if they just didn't say anything, but this crap is over the top.

Steve99
02-19-04, 12:18 PM
BTW - Tony George on WindTunnel on Monday ....

What's the point of that? "I don't know." :thumdown:

Brickman
02-19-04, 12:48 PM

The recap as far as Tracy is that he is interested in NASCAR, wants to race in the series when he is done with Champ Cars, has a year left on his contract with Forsythe. Figures he has 5 years left in open wheel cars and wants to do something else when he is 40. I was only surprised he didn't talk up Champ Cars as much, IMHO it looked like he was thinking beyond it.

Best guess?? He goes to Childress in 2005 and sells a lot of T-shirts in Canada. Childress has Harvick and Gordon, a couple of personalities where Paul would feel at home with. ;)

Does Forsythe have a sponsor inked for 2004??

nrc
02-19-04, 01:03 PM
I was only surprised he didn't talk up Champ Cars as much, IMHO it looked like he was thinking beyond it.

Tracy was very positive about ChampCar and its future. It was Despain who turned the call into a piece about "Tracy to NASCAR" rumors. I think Tracy is simply realistic about what it takes to be competitive in the ChampCar (even today) and acknowledging that he can't go on forever. He may want to consider the schedule grind that NASCAR has right now before he considers it as a retirement destination, though.

Brickman
02-19-04, 01:03 PM
Posted elsewhere... transcript.

Originally posted by Chief
DD>>P.T., Welcome back to the show.

PT>> Good to be on, dave.

DD>> I'm reading all these quotes.
It sounds to me you're pretty
amped up about what's going on
in the champ car world.

PT>> I am.
I have a contract for next year,
and I want to come back and
definitely coming back to defend
my championship.
And, you know, I want to try to
see this thing through.
I've driven my whole career in
cart.
And, you know, it's been through
some rough and tumble and I'm
one of the stars of the series,
and I want things to come back
to the way they were.

DD>> Am I correct that you did not
buy a season ticket for I rock?
That's what i heard.

PT>> I didn't even get -- the
thing that bothers me the most
and a lot of people have raised
a lot of questions in the last
week I've been up in canada and
really the canadian media has
been all over it.
You know, i wasn't even given a
phone call, and I've never asked
to be in the series.
I felt that if you're going to
be in that, you need to be a
champion.
I won a championship this year.
I've won a lot of races in my
career.
I've won a lot of big races, and
i wasn't even given a courtesy
call which kind of disappointed
me.

DD>> So, what about this nascar
thing?
When you were here last, that
was something that you were
talking to childress about and
kind of looking into.
It makes sense to me that you
would go to the vegas test.
It was in your back yard.
People trying to read something
into that.
I'm telling people, he lives in
vegas, he's not going anywhere.
He's happy where he was.
What's going on?

PT>> I'm setting the record
straight.
It was you who put the bug in my
ear about nascar and childress.

DD>> But you signed the contract.
Let's not forget that.

PT>> It's something I was
interested in doing, obviously.
As an open-wheel driver, the
shelf life, it doesn't go on
over from, and, you know, I feel
that there's a certain amount of
years left.
I would say, you know -- I'm 35
now.
You know, I've got probably four
to five strong years, and I'd
like to stay with forsythe racing
as long as I can because it's a
great team and, you know, i
think it's the best opportunity
I've had.
But at the end of that, a lot of
people have asked me what are
you going to do?
I still have the desire to
continue to race.
I think I'm one of the kind of
guys like john andretti.
-- Mario andretti.
He was in his 50's and he had
the same desire from when he was
a kid.
If he could rub a magic lantern
and take 20 years off his life,
I'm sure he'd do it.
And I still have the same desire
to race, so I feel -- I want to
do something after my open-wheel
time is done, and i guess nascar
would be the next logical thing.

DD>> I don't know if I dare ask
you this.
Tony george is coming on the
show monday night.
Is there anything you want me to
ask him on your behalf?

PT>> No.
I don't really have anything to
ask.
You know, I've been on the cart
side and obviously he's got his
own program going on over there.
And, you know, that's just kind
of the way it is.
I mean, I'm just -- you know,
I'm happy doing what I'm doing
and I think we have great races,
and, you know, we've got some
work to do at the series.
I feel that they've gone in the
right direction now with the new
leadership and i think we're
going to turn a lot of heads
this year.

DD>> All right, man.
Well said.
We appreciate that.
Thanks for the time.
Look forward to talking to you
again when you get out there and
win your next race.
Ok?

PT>> All right, man.

DD>> Paul tracy.
Now the question -- is he the
reigning champion?
Is he the defending champion?
Or is he just another guy trying
to win this year's championship?
In some parts of tennessee, that
subject is subject to debate.
So, stick around and we'll
debate it right here.
That's what we do.

Brickman
02-19-04, 01:06 PM
Tracy was very positive about ChampCar and its future. It was Despain who turned the call into a piece about "Tracy to NASCAR" rumors. I think Tracy is simply realistic about what it takes to be competitive in the ChampCar (even today) and acknowledging that he can't go on forever. He may want to consider the schedule grind that NASCAR has right now before he considers it as a retirement destination, though.

I would say it's a young mans game but they still have old veterans hanging around. I think the trend will be to have younger drivers. It is a hell of a grind and something he should start before 40 than after.

Kiwifan
02-19-04, 01:59 PM
Thanks for that Brickman, as you know we don't get the show this far South. ;)

I find it ironic that he speaks fondly of Two Andrettis and the one he has spent most of his time racing against gets nary a mention. Maybe resect is earned? ;)

Rusty.

pchall
02-19-04, 04:46 PM
... Does anyone else see the breakdown in logic between Tracy and Lazier, throwing Brack's comments in for affect? Lazier is somewhere north of Sarah Fisher in talent and skills, but he's way south of Paul. IMO, he didn't have 10 more years... 10 years ago! :shakehead

You need to remember that as a CART backmarkier Buddy Lazier has never seen what it takes for a 40+ year old driver of immense talent to stay in front. Tracy, however, has raced with and beaten three former World Driving Champions who were into the "skill and guile" period of their careers.

Turn7
02-19-04, 05:02 PM
I really wonder about the intent of the two car owners and Brack in regards to champ car.

Do I have too many black helicopters flying in my head or does anybody else find it funny that Kenny Brack drove for Rahal and Ganassi and they both ended up in the IRL? Rahal became a staunch advocate of the 3.5 liter v8 formula after hiring him and the chipster jumped ship entirely? He called out the other CART drivers at TMS saying that they needed to be in better shape because he wasn't experiencing problems. He has a very likable personality and could easily schmooze his point without people throwing up an immediate defense.

Was Kenny Brack really just a TG Kool Aide swilling plant?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Robstar
02-19-04, 06:38 PM
Yeah, Cheers for that Brick...

I just don't get why after PT says "I know I have 4-5 solid years left in OW", why DD hammers the Nascab thang...

JohnHKart
02-19-04, 07:54 PM
I love how Buddy Lazier doesn't even know his own age......he's 36. Buddy Lazier (Full name Robert Buddy Lazier). DATE OF BIRTH, 31 October

JH

Brickman
02-19-04, 10:47 PM
Yeah, Cheers for that Brick...

I just don't get why after PT says "I know I have 4-5 solid years left in OW", why DD hammers the Nascab thang...

Chief deserves the cheers not me. Helpful indeed.

Robstar
02-19-04, 11:28 PM
Chief deserves the cheers not me. Helpful indeed.

Respect Cheif :thumbup:

Insomniac
02-20-04, 09:53 AM
I love how Buddy Lazier doesn't even know his own age......he's 36. Buddy Lazier (Full name Robert Buddy Lazier). DATE OF BIRTH, 31 October

JH

How do you know the date you have is right? Do you have a copy of his birth certificate?