PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Rules

ferrarigod
02-18-04, 03:33 PM
Had a couple questions about the new engine rules, wondering if anyone could clarify or had a linky I could use.

What engine parts can't be changed? Can pistons and rods and o-rings and all that be changed. Is it only the engine that can't be replaced as a whole, so what about clutches and gearboxes?

Is it just the block that can't be changed? Or can they rebuild each night using the same base block. There hasn't been much talk, or anyone that I have seen talking about the advantages a team might use, I'm very interested in what they are looking at and what they will be able to change and manipulate throughout the weekend

ferrarigod
02-18-04, 07:49 PM
Ok I looked all over autosport.com and itv-f1.com and nothing is said about the engine rules beside they must last the weekend. Anybody have any luck yet?

pinniped
02-20-04, 03:55 PM
I've read that they will allow Minardi to give caffeine to the hamster this year.

ferrarigod
02-20-04, 06:02 PM
I've read that they will allow Minardi to give caffeine to the hamster this year.

Really? Its been a few days and thats all this group knows. Thats sad :)

pinniped
02-20-04, 06:14 PM
Through the expedient of a search engine, you might check out the official FIA and formula one sites if my hamster revelation doesn't satisfy your curiousity. :) My understanding is no rebuilds over the weekend and no replacements of the engine...if they do the car loses 8 grid positions...thought this was well known but guess not.

ferrarigod
02-20-04, 06:31 PM
Through the expedient of a search engine, you might check out the official FIA and formula one sites if my hamster revelation doesn't satisfy your curiousity. :) My understanding is no rebuilds over the weekend and no replacements of the engine...if they do the car loses 8 grid positions...thought this was well known but guess not.

Yes if its a "new" engine, but how is that classified I don't know. i have looked on Formula1.com(official site), autosport.com and itv-f1.com and have found nothing. I mean they still have to using comps on them, which could also change engine dynamics, and there is no way to police that. I don't understand how new rules decrease costs. They put just is much money in this years program if not more than last years, except they have about the same hp and better reliability.

The FIA arguement is that the teams save on building cost, but honestly the materials are much less then research. I would be surprised, highly surprised if this changed any teams costs. If anything they had to make the engines better to diagnose and fix with the laptop, but who knows. At least I don't know until i find the rules :gomer:

pinniped
02-20-04, 08:33 PM
That was the very argument that the big teams used against the proposal a few months ago. But, you have to wonder when Ferrari and Mclaren are complaining that a new rule increases the costs. It does have the benefit of customer teams getting - at least at the start of this year - the very same engines as the factory ones...so maybe that hamster will look more robust than usual for Minardi...

ferrarigod
02-20-04, 08:51 PM
...so maybe that hamster will look more robust than usual for Minardi...

Yes, I heard the Hamster was allowed to meet with Barry Bonds' trainer :laugh:

pinniped
02-21-04, 12:13 AM
Try this: http://www.formula1.com/insight/rulesandregs/13/508.html

ferrarigod
02-21-04, 02:28 AM
Thanks alot, I did see some of that earlier, but it doesn't really specify they regs. If those are the on the book sporting regs this seasons 1 engine plan is toast because although they may not have saturday night they will be rebuilding between last practice and quals each day.

I don't know how this will work out, will be interesting to watch this rule develop.

Also, something I noticed and thought about. What if there is an accident, say you started first and get in a wreck, its red flagged, then everyone goes back who had the accident and gets a fresh car and engine while everyone else has older ones. In the case of a red they should allow everyone even those not involved to step into the backup, thats the only thing I think that is needed with the red flags concerning how it plays out with the new engine rules. Would like to hear what others beside me and pinniped have to say

pinniped
02-21-04, 02:05 PM
If you go to that link then click on the link to the FIA rule book, you will get (drumroll please) the FIA rulebook. But they are silent on hamsters.