PDA

View Full Version : ChampCar in Korea, South Africa

Chaos
02-18-04, 02:10 PM
Simple poll,

do you see ChampCar racing in Korea, South Africa, both or neither?

ferrarigod
02-18-04, 03:35 PM
Simple poll,

do you see ChampCar racing in Korea, South Africa, both or neither?

From the rumors i heard Korea wanted to give big $ and use this as a prep for F1 planning and such. Sounds good to me. As for South Africa, well I like that also, but would rather see Kylami than a street circuit. just my $.02

pchall
02-18-04, 05:03 PM
Sounds good to me. As for South Africa, well I like that also, but would rather see Kylami than a street circuit. just my $.02

FYI, Kyalami is dead as a circuit for major international motor races. They've built condos over about a third of the track and now it is only a club circuit.

ps This is the same awful fate I have foreseen for Mid-Ohio for the last few years. Ms. Gajoch is too B-school and too little racer to do anything else but sell the land when things get really bad.

Forza Lancia
02-18-04, 06:07 PM
I'd like to see ChampCar in South Africa and Korea, but somehow I'd be surprised if they could pull it off this year. Maybe in 2005.

By the way, pchall, that's pretty a pretty depressing assessment of Mid-Ohio. What a shame to let one of America's best racing venues go to waste.

jonovision_man
02-18-04, 06:57 PM
They've been talking about Korea for so long, if either of these make it you'd expect it to be the one. And it's on the calendar as "2004 Sanctioning Agreements in place", which may not be entirely accurate, but certainly lends more hope than S. Africa which OWRS hasn't breathed a word about far as I can tell.

jono

Railbird
02-18-04, 08:59 PM
I think they should concentrate on a Nafta schedule with Australia as a very cool, popular and profitable exception.

Korea seems to be the one with a reasonable shot at happening outside of MarkC's mind, but unless it's a real money maker I don't see the need for the distraction.

cart7
02-18-04, 10:55 PM
I saw a post on another site from an American serviceman stationed in Seoul Korea, home for the holidays. His post was a little troubling. He said the area most talked about for the race was in a park down by the main river in Seoul, Sort of a Belle Isle type of a place. This park sits right on the river and is subject to frequent flooding making the site completely unusable. Here's hoping the new ownership looks thoroughly into any new site to prevent the possibility of cancellations due to things like High G forces, Fires, Snow, etc, Sure don't need another of those embarrasments.

Racing Truth
02-19-04, 01:31 PM
Don't see South Africa happening. Not a suitable track, temp. or permanent as of yet. Also, whilebthe country's race issues are not what they were during apartheid, there are still serious issues (inc. HIV) and I don't think the country needs to worry about putting on a GP.

For the record, and not to be picky, but we're talking about South Korea. H=ll, the North doesn't have enough electricity for an event like that. As for the South, that I can see happening.

Ankf00
02-19-04, 04:11 PM
FYI, Kyalami is dead as a circuit for major international motor races. They've built condos over about a third of the track and now it is only a club circuit.

ps This is the same awful fate I have foreseen for Mid-Ohio for the last few years. Ms. Gajoch is too B-school and too little racer to do anything else but sell the land when things get really bad.

wasn't that condo thing a false rumor-fed story autosport published and then had to retract?

bigdcart
02-20-04, 10:27 AM
I say give the mideast a shot. Qatar, Saudi or even Kuwait. There’s a ton of disposable income floating around the just waiting to be Americanized.