PDA

View Full Version : Whats ahead for OWRS?

P Hanley
02-17-04, 11:46 PM
I was wondering what everybody thought about how this season will unfold? I'm a total rookie to this forum stuff but have been a CART fan for many years. A couple senarios that I thought would be great for the series, but are probably impossible, 1) wouldn't it be great for the series to land Villinueve? I think his name would help. 2) Does anybody know what happened to Christian Fittapaldi? He seems to have fallen off the radar in NASCAR and I thought it would be great to see hin back in OWRS. A couple names to help out, and I know the series already has some pretty good names established, but it couldn't hurt. I look forward to what some of the more informed fans think. Take it easy.

RARules
02-18-04, 12:47 AM
I was wondering what everybody thought about how this season will unfold? I'm a total rookie to this forum stuff but have been a CART fan for many years. A couple senarios that I thought would be great for the series, but are probably impossible, 1) wouldn't it be great for the series to land Villinueve? I think his name would help. 2) Does anybody know what happened to Christian Fittapaldi? He seems to have fallen off the radar in NASCAR and I thought it would be great to see hin back in OWRS. A couple names to help out, and I know the series already has some pretty good names established, but it couldn't hurt. I look forward to what some of the more informed fans think. Take it easy.

I'm certainly no expert, but...

-1) Tough off season. I'm hopeful. If I see good racing this year from ChampCars (and a minimum of non-racing controversy), I'll be delighted!

0) Be glad you missed some of the recent forum happenings on other forums recently. This (along with crapwagon) are the primary sites for ChampCar-friendly folks. The only decent ones.

1) Consensus is that it just will never happen.

2) Consensus is that he never really delivered (in CART nor I guess NASCAR).

Nice to have you on board!

eric1
02-18-04, 01:22 AM
:rofl: Villeneuve I cant see coming back and Fittipaldi just cant cut it.

Mike Kellner
02-18-04, 02:16 AM
Er, there is no series called OWRS. If you are speaking of the Champ Car World Series, it would be better to use ChampCar, or CC for short. Referring to it as OWRS leaves the impression that you are more interested in mangement groups than racing series.

mk

chop456
02-18-04, 05:25 AM
Jacques is off playing with things giggly and jiggly and rolling around in a pile of money. Why come back? It's a step down from the LeMans program he seems to want.

Chrissy Fittipaldi can stay wherever he is, too. He's a washout. Whatever talents he used to have were gone after two huge accidents. Those two could have easily been 3 including the close call with Brack at MIS.

Hink
02-18-04, 06:08 AM
OWRS owns what was CART.

They have a fabulous opportunity here. If they play their cards right, they bought the remnants of a Phoenix.

Without the Indyitis the "Why would you want to do that?" bull**** is gone but the potential is amazing. I won't miss it for at least three Champ Car World Series races this year.

Railbird
02-18-04, 06:25 AM
I would welcome Fitti back if he brought enough cash to fund another solid entry.

I agree with chop on Jacques, I'd love to see him back but don't see much incentive.

at the end of the day I would really rather see a couple young guns than any retreads.

Mike Kellner
02-18-04, 09:43 AM
The problem with Jacues is he was earning more money in F1 than it costs to run a ChampCar team. What a CC team can afford to pay would't cover his bill for resturants & hotels for a year. He must have a net worth of at least $100M US by now. Besides, I agree with Railbird. I don't want a retirement league. I would rather see some young hot shot get a ride.

On a tangent, I think they need a spec series for old timers. No wankers, but a fun Saturday support series that would put guys like Mario, Bobby (R&U), Danny, Nige, and Emmo in an open wheel car again. Jacues is almost old enough.

mk

RTKar
02-18-04, 10:05 AM
I would welcome Fitti back if he brought enough cash to fund another solid entry.

I agree with chop on Jacques, I'd love to see him back but don't see much incentive.

at the end of the day I would really rather see a couple young guns than any retreads.

Better on the way up than on the way down...(unfortunately over the years, "our" guys move on to F1). I wouldn't mind having Jacques back but he has nothing to prove...maybe a one-off in Montreal???

Brickman
02-18-04, 11:33 AM

1) I think Jaques wouldn't even think of taking a step down.

2) Christian failed at Busch level... not like he was even given a call from the IRL.

The season will unfold once the TV contract comes to light.

Cam
02-18-04, 11:44 AM
On a tangent, I think they need a spec series for old timers. No wankers, but a fun Saturday support series that would put guys like Mario, Bobby (R&U), Danny, Nige, and Emmo in an open wheel car again. Jacues is almost old enough.

mk

Would 'ole Nige even fit in a ChampCar anymore? :p

4wheeldrifter
02-18-04, 11:48 AM

mk

Couldn't agree more. I think it could drag a lot of past fans back into (real) OW racing. As for the potential drivers: just try to convince their Better Half's to let them back behind the wheel. I'd say at least Mario's wife would be somewhat reluctant after the flying crapwagon incident.

Man would that be a great series though, whatever they ended up driving.

4wheeldrifter
02-18-04, 11:50 AM
Would 'ole Nige even fit in a ChampCar anymore? :p

Sure. Vaseline is a multi-use product. ;)

Firestorm
02-18-04, 12:28 PM
I would welcome Villeneuve back....

as a team owner. :)

Purple Panic
02-18-04, 12:41 PM
I think we've got a lot in store this year. When you're at rock bottom, there is no where else to go but up. I just hope they have the good sense to do some promoting in the vicinity of the venues to get the local crowds out...that's dropped so much in recent years that I've started keeping counts of the signage I spot when I'm in town... It used to be too numerous to count, now I'm lucky if I spot three "Welcome Race Fan" tags between my hotel and the track. :saywhat:

Madmaxfan2
02-18-04, 01:00 PM
Iwould welcome back Villeneuve as a driver. But would he accept the paycut?
The other conclusion now being reached is that Villeneuve really is not of current F1 driver callibre anymore, a has been. Coming back to champ cars might reinforce that perception, not good thing for OWRS. Christian Fittipaldi did not impress in F1, CART or NASCAR. HE may to look at Eddie Cheveer, a similiar washout and get an IRL ride.

Andrew Longman
02-18-04, 01:56 PM
With three races in Canada, my Canadian friends can't say enough about the huge interest Jacques would add to already huge support for the Champcar races there. That would be great for the series and great for all sponsors involved.

But I really doubt it will happen.

Racing Truth
02-18-04, 03:58 PM
As long as the TV contract is reasonable (which I now think it will be), this should be a pretty good year.

Jeemy back in the series. RHR likely in. Combine with PT, SeaBass, Junky, and the arrival of the 'Dinger, well it should be all :cool: for ChampCar.

Wabbit
02-18-04, 04:07 PM
Iwould welcome back Villeneuve as a driver. But would he accept the paycut?
The other conclusion now being reached is that Villeneuve really is not of current F1 driver callibre anymore, a has been. Coming back to champ cars might reinforce that perception, not good thing for OWRS. Christian Fittipaldi did not impress in F1, CART or NASCAR. HE may to look at Eddie Cheveer, a similiar washout and get an IRL ride.

At least Christian won a few races in CART