PDA

View Full Version : watch History channel tomorrow night

G.
02-17-04, 07:03 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (February 13, 2004) – The science of Champ Car racing is every bit as vital to the success of the series as anything that happens in the cockpit of a 750hp turbocharged open-wheel race car.

The science of safety is one of the key elements in making the Champ Car World Series one of the premier racing series in the world, and the History Channel will give viewers an in-depth look at how technology helps keep drivers safe in an upcoming episode of its Modern Marvels series.

The episode titled Race Track Tech, will premiere next Wednesday at 10 p.m. Eastern Time. The hour-long show will feature Champ Cars along with other racing series in a behind-the-scenes look at how technicians create the safety innovations that protect drivers.

From cart.com (for the whole story)

Ziggy
02-17-04, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up

Nova on tonight

Ziggy

sadams
02-18-04, 08:07 AM
I caught the Nova show it's amazing that smoke detectors are NOT required on aircraft and the flamable stuff they still allow in the cabin is almost criminal. :flame:

Insomniac
02-18-04, 09:35 AM
I caught the Nova show it's amazing that smoke detectors are NOT required on aircraft and the flamable stuff they still allow in the cabin is almost criminal. :flame:

Do you really need smoke detectors on a plane? It's not that big and with that many people on it, I don't think smoke/fire can go unnoticed.

RTKar
02-18-04, 10:00 AM
Do you really need smoke detectors on a plane? It's not that big and with that many people on it, I don't think smoke/fire can go unnoticed.

An Air Canada flight had an on board fire back in the early 80's. It had to make an emergency landing and several people died. Someone apparently threw a cigarette butt in the toilet...it went unnotced.

sadams
02-18-04, 10:09 AM
The Nova show was about Swissair flight 111 fire went unnoticed up in the attic above the cockpit for about 1/2 hour. 293 people died. Yeah I think a smoke detector/fire detector might have helped and so did the Canadian TSB.

4wheeldrifter
02-18-04, 10:49 AM
Not wanting to contradict CART.com but the wife just emailed me and says that TV Guide lists the show as starting at 9pm ET. May want to check your cable/sattelite listings to see when it is truly supposed to air.

4wheeldrifter
02-18-04, 10:54 AM
DiscoveryChannel website has the show starting at 10P ET. Looks like TV Guide may be screwed up yet again :shakehead . Might record 9-11P just to be safe.

devilmaster
02-18-04, 11:59 AM
An Air Canada flight had an on board fire back in the early 80's. It had to make an emergency landing and several people died. Someone apparently threw a cigarette butt in the toilet...it went unnotced.

Air Canada flight 797, emergency landed at Cincinnati on June 2nd 1983.

23 people died on it. Most notably for myself and alot of people, an up and coming Canadian singer/songwriter died on that flight, Stan Rogers.

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/rogers.jpg

If you ever get the chance, go looking around kazaa or whatever you use for any of Stan's songs. Some of his more famous songs include Barrett's Privateers, Northwest Passage, 45 Years, Lockkeeper, and The Mary Ellen Carter.

Song Byte - The White Collar Holler (live) (http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/whitecollarholler.mp3)

Only wish I could have seen him live once in my life. :(

Steve

ferrarigod
02-18-04, 12:12 PM
The Nova show was about Swissair flight 111 fire went unnoticed up in the attic above the cockpit for about 1/2 hour. 293 people died. Yeah I think a smoke detector/fire detector might have helped and so did the Canadian TSB.

I watched that Swissair Nova last ngiht, but I was flipping between that and a Mel Fisher society treasure hunt in the Keys on History Channel. After that ended I was watching the Swiss Air Nova show and Tactical to Practical. THat was amazing how they put together that Swiss Air 111 plane.

What Wednesday do they mean next Wednesday for that ChampCar show????
Today or the 25th????

Steve99
02-18-04, 12:13 PM
excite.com has a different description:
Racetrack Tech
NASCAR relies upon innovations in vehicles, tracks, safety walls and tools. :rolleyes: :mad:

Looks like 10:00 eastern, 9:00 central.

Steve99
02-18-04, 12:14 PM
I watched that Swissair Nova last ngiht, but I was flipping between that and a Mel Fisher society treasure hunt in the Keys on History Channel. After that ended I was watching the Swiss Air Nova show and Tactical to Practical. THat was amazing how they put together that Swiss Air 111 plane.

What Wednesday do they mean next Wednesday for that ChampCar show????
Today or the 25th????

Today.

ferrarigod
02-18-04, 12:18 PM
Today.

OK thanks, I also checked the time because of all the postings claiming different times and such

For my area, it is 10pm Eastern time on History channel. FYI, there is a modern marvels on before it also that has to do with Drag racing, so maybe everyone is getting confused with that. It does say 10pm is the race crash tech show.

I'm sure the Drag racing modern marvels is interesting also, might want to check TVguide.com in your local area to find out which show is first and which is 2nd. To be safe start at 9pm on History do SLP like for early morning F1 races and watch them both later. If you want to watch, just check in at 9 and make sure the Champ Car one is on at 10 :)

RTKar
02-18-04, 01:16 PM
Air Canada flight 797, emergency landed at Cincinnati on June 2nd 1983.

23 people died on it. Most notably for myself and alot of people, an up and coming Canadian singer/songwriter died on that flight, Stan Rogers.

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/rogers.jpg

If you ever get the chance, go looking around kazaa or whatever you use for any of Stan's songs. Some of his more famous songs include Barrett's Privateers, Northwest Passage, 45 Years, Lockkeeper, and The Mary Ellen Carter.

Song Byte - The White Collar Holler (live) (http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/whitecollarholler.mp3)

Only wish I could have seen him live once in my life. :(

Steve

Stan Rogers is why I remember the incident...what a waste...because someone needed to smoke...

pchall
02-18-04, 01:30 PM
The other interesting death on that flight that landed in Cincinnati was the heir to the Curtis Mathes electronics fortune. He was running the last American television production plant in the US and was committed to keeping the family name on American made merchandise. The last I heard the family was using their brand on stuff made in China.

RTKar
02-18-04, 02:28 PM
The other interesting death on that flight that landed in Cincinnati was the heir to the Curtis Mathes electronics fortune. He was running the last American television production plant in the US and was committed to keeping the family name on American made merchandise. The last I heard the family was using their brand on stuff made in China.

I remember that too now that you mention it. Seems to me they were just starting to open up Curtis Mathes stores. One was opened up near me but closed a year or two later. By some accounts they were the best tv's made at the time. I think I saw a Curtis Mathes label on a set in a Walmart a while back....not the high end it initially set out to be.

Insomniac
02-18-04, 08:40 PM
I stand VERY corrected. I didn't even think about the area above and below the cabin. I'm surprised about the bathroom one. Did the cigarette go down somewhere below?

JohnHKart
02-18-04, 09:00 PM
A lot of times PBS shows drag for me.....but that Nova show just flew by no pun intended. A really great piece of work. Fantastic gripping stuff. The deal is though, how can they say the pilot was concious when he lost control, with all the fire coming into the cockpit?

JH

Anteater
02-18-04, 10:59 PM
In So. Cal. (Cox Cable anyway), the safety show is on at 10:00 PT.

Lizzerd
02-19-04, 12:50 AM
It was a pretty good program. I'm mildly disappointed that they referred to the OW cars as Indy-style, never mentioning Champ Cars or CART. No crapwagons appeared in the show.

pfc_m_drake
02-19-04, 02:33 AM
It was a pretty good program. I'm mildly disappointed that they referred to the OW cars as Indy-style, never mentioning Champ Cars or CART. No crapwagons appeared in the show.
Maybe you missed it (I think you're talking about the Racing Tech show on History Channel), but they did show IRL cars during at least one segment where they were highlighting the development of the SAFER barrier.

During that segment they showed some crash-testing footage with an instrumented crash-dummy in some IRL cars into both a regular concrete wall and into a wall outfitted with the SAFER barrier. They then compared and constrasted the results between the two.

Lizzerd
02-19-04, 04:48 AM
I did see that segment, sort of (I was sitting here at the 'puter at the time) and I suppose I stand corrected. Didn't notice, pfc... Thanks.

I'm still miffed about the 'Indy-style" references, though.

Robstar
02-19-04, 05:51 AM
[QUOTE=Lizzerd]I did see that segment, sort of (I was sitting here at the 'puter at the time) [QUOTE]

happens to the best of us... ;)

pfc_m_drake
02-19-04, 08:18 AM
I did see that segment, sort of (I was sitting here at the 'puter at the time) and I suppose I stand corrected. Didn't notice, pfc... Thanks.

I'm still miffed about the 'Indy-style" references, though.
It was easy to miss...especially if you were multitasking.

I think that they used the 'Indy-style' reference just as a time saver. They covered a lot of areas during the course of the program (the early years, crash testing, fire retardant clothing, tire technology, etc.) They probably didn't want to get hung up on details that the average person wouldn't be able to distinguish between, hence the 'Indy-style' reference.

4wheeldrifter
02-19-04, 08:49 AM
I thought it was a pretty good show, even if a lot of it was NASCAR-related. I hadn't seen some of the old footage in a while. Scary stuff.

Steve99
02-19-04, 12:23 PM
I think the only IRL cars they showed were the ones they were shooting into the SAFER barrier. That's a good use for those cars.

The part I didn't like is they made it sound like NASCAR was the reason people started using the HANS device.

Surprised they didn't show the latest high-tech NASCAR testing where they use the 4-wheeler to shove the test sled into a wall. :gomer: