PDA

View Full Version : More Rule Changes...

JoeBob
02-16-04, 06:56 PM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7516

CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES ANNOUNCES RULE CHANGES FOR 2004 SEASON

Enhanced Pit-Stop Rule Headlines New Rules

INDIANAPOLIS (February 16, 2004) – Known throughout motorsports for its commitment to safety as well as its passion for competition, the Champ Car World Series continued to make improvements in both areas with the release of its 2004 Rule Book.
The mandatory pit-stop rule has been adjusted for 2004 to bring more strategy into play, especially when combined with the new point system which awards points for leading a race lap. Teams will be required to perform either two or three green-flag stops during a race and must have those stops completed by a certain point in the event. Champ Car Racing Operations will determine the number and at what point those stops must be completed prior to the race weekend. All green-flag stops must include a four-tire change in order to meet the series requirements.

“We really wanted to do something that allowed the teams more flexibility in their race strategies and also allow them to take advantage of the new point system,” said Champ Car Technical Director Lee Dykstra. “At the same time, we needed a system that discourages fuel-economy runs and challenges the drivers, and we think we have been able to accomplish that.”

Many rules addressing safety on the track and in pit lane have been added or enhanced, including a mandate penalizing drivers that initiate avoidable contact with another car. This season, any driver causing an incident that negatively affects a competitor will be immediately subjected to a drive-through penalty. In addition, if the contact results in the immediate retirement of a competitor, the offender will serve a stop-and-hold penalty on pit lane.

Further enhancing a rule introduced in 2003, any driver blocking a pursuing competitor or failing to yield to an approaching competitor while lapped, will also receive a drive-though penalty. To aid in the enforcement of the new rules, Champ Car Stewards will have the power to enact more stringent penalties on teams and drivers this year, including the loss of championship points for specific rule violations.

Pit-lane safety has been addressed with a rule stating that contact between a car and any person in pit lane results in an automatic fine of $1,000. The protocol for the start of a race has also been revised, requiring the polesitter to be the first car across the start/finish line at the start of the race. Previously, the second-place qualifier was allowed to pass the polesitter once the green flag had waved to start the event.

Fans will benefit from the rule changes as well, as teams will no longer be allowed to scramble their radio transmissions during a race weekend, meaning that fans that have scanners will be able to experience all the conversations between a team and driver during every Champ Car session during a weekend.

KLang
02-16-04, 07:01 PM
Many rules addressing safety on the track and in pit lane have been added or enhanced, including a mandate penalizing drivers that initiate avoidable contact with another car. This season, any driver causing an incident that negatively affects a competitor will be immediately subjected to a drive-through penalty. In addition, if the contact results in the immediate retirement of a competitor, the offender will serve a stop-and-hold penalty on pit lane.

This sounds OK but I hope it doesn't make everyone afraid to try to pass.

pfc_m_drake
02-16-04, 07:28 PM
I love the modification to the mandatory pit stop requirement.

As far as the changes governing on-track incidents, I think the key point is is the 'avoidable contact' clause. However, I certainly agree that this point is subjective. Hopefully Race Control will exercise good judgement when imposing the penalties mentioned.

Oh...and the part about no scrambled scanner frequencies is great too.

Ankf00
02-16-04, 07:56 PM
they should be allowed to double stint if they want to, oh well, beats the old system hands down

Sean O'Gorman
02-16-04, 08:17 PM
I wonder what Mario Dominguez thinks of these new rules... ;)

Insomniac
02-16-04, 08:39 PM
As long as the minimum number of stops under green don't allow them to braely finish the race I'm happy. One of those stops shouldn't require a full load of fuel. I want to see some guys start the race out lighter!

Racing Truth
02-16-04, 09:02 PM
"Many rules addressing safety on the track and in pit lane have been added or enhanced, including a mandate penalizing drivers that initiate avoidable contact with another car. This season, any driver causing an incident that negatively affects a competitor will be immediately subjected to a drive-through penalty. In addition, if the contact results in the immediate retirement of a competitor, the offender will serve a stop-and-hold penalty on pit lane."

I like the new rules, but this is just plain silly. "Avoidable contact." OK, how do you consistently define that? And doesn't this discourage overtaking? If you make contact, when trying to overtake, don't you risk being penalized? I mean, if you didn't try to overtake, it would have been avoidable. :shakehead

racer2c
02-16-04, 09:24 PM
"Many rules addressing safety on the track and in pit lane have been added or enhanced, including a mandate penalizing drivers that initiate avoidable contact with another car. This season, any driver causing an incident that negatively affects a competitor will be immediately subjected to a drive-through penalty. In addition, if the contact results in the immediate retirement of a competitor, the offender will serve a stop-and-hold penalty on pit lane."

I like the new rules, but this is just plain silly. "Avoidable contact." OK, how do you consistently define that? And doesn't this discourage overtaking? If you make contact, when trying to overtake, don't you risk being penalized? I mean, if you didn't try to overtake, it would have been avoidable. :shakehead

I personaly do not think overtaking and contact go hand in hand.

Andrew Longman
02-16-04, 09:28 PM
Most of these make sense, but so much will depend on the judgement of those executing/enforcing them.

Yes, make it possible to start the race light but the number of laps set is different for each curcuit. Lets hope they do their calculation right each time.

Yes there should be some punishment for stupidity, but the officials have to apply decent racing judgement to tell the difference between Townsend Bell in TO two years ago and Zanardi at the corkscrew. Thinking about the in betweens like all the Brack/Vassar contact a few years back will be the hard part.

The rules before were more vague and worse poorly enforced. Lets hope they fix both

Great news on the scanners

jonovision_man
02-16-04, 09:38 PM
Oh...and the part about no scrambled scanner frequencies is great too.

Were any teams scrambling? I took my scanner to Toronto and once I bought the freq list I had no problems picking up almost everyone.

Still, good to see the rule in place to prevent encrypted signals from sneaking in like in F1...

BTW - I heard that scanners are illegal in some parts of the U.S., do you guys risk it or only take your scanner to states where the law allows it? As a foreigner (Canadian) I don't even try taking my scanner to the U.S.... don't need the hassle.

jono

KLang
02-16-04, 09:41 PM
Has any team been scrambling their transmissions lately anyway?

I wish they would take this a step further and publicly announce which frequencys each team is using each day. Such a pain trying to merge lists from 3 or 4 sources.

RaceGrrl
02-16-04, 09:43 PM
They should call this the Max Papis rule:

Further enhancing a rule introduced in 2003, any driver blocking a pursuing competitor or failing to yield to an approaching competitor while lapped, will also receive a drive-though penalty.

pfc_m_drake
02-16-04, 09:52 PM
Were any teams scrambling? I took my scanner to Toronto and once I bought the freq list I had no problems picking up almost everyone.

Still, good to see the rule in place to prevent encrypted signals from sneaking in like in F1...

BTW - I heard that scanners are illegal in some parts of the U.S., do you guys risk it or only take your scanner to states where the law allows it? As a foreigner (Canadian) I don't even try taking my scanner to the U.S.... don't need the hassle.

jono
TKG definitely was scrambling in 2002. I'm not sure about last year, but it's nice to see the rule put into place regardless.

As far as scanners...it's an interesting subject.

For example, in New York State, it used to be legal to own but illegal to carry a scanner in a vehicle unless you are licensed to do so. Apparently the laws have changed, and it's no longer so clear. The laws in other states vary.

I usually do risk it, but I'm not stupid about how I go about doing it. I'll never keep it in the driver's comparment with me. Granted, keeping it in the trunk doesn't make it any more legal, but I guess I've always hoped that good sense would prevail if something should ever happen. Thus far (knock on wood), it has never been an issue for me.

This is an excellent website with more information:
http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

manic mechanic
02-16-04, 09:58 PM
They should call this the Max Papis rule:

Further enhancing a rule introduced in 2003, any driver blocking a pursuing competitor or failing to yield to an approaching competitor while lapped, will also receive a drive-though penalty.

I'll go one step further..Just call it the "Hiro Rule". :D

Note to Dale Coyne: (cue Tina Turner)..."We don't need another Hiro"...

manic

BTW, would Lavin's exploits last year be termed as "avoidable contact" with the barriers? His (lack of) ability seemed to disprove the term. :D

CART T. Katz
02-16-04, 10:15 PM
i sure hope that a driver isn't penalized for not yeilding when the leader isn't close enough to make a pass. that part of the rule change needs immediate clarification.

jonovision_man
02-16-04, 10:44 PM
TKG definitely was scrambling in 2002. I'm not sure about last year, but it's nice to see the rule put into place regardless.

As far as scanners...it's an interesting subject.

For example, in New York State, it used to be legal to own but illegal to carry a scanner in a vehicle unless you are licensed to do so. Apparently the laws have changed, and it's no longer so clear. The laws in other states vary.

I usually do risk it, but I'm not stupid about how I go about doing it. I'll never keep it in the driver's comparment with me. Granted, keeping it in the trunk doesn't make it any more legal, but I guess I've always hoped that good sense would prevail if something should ever happen. Thus far (knock on wood), it has never been an issue for me.

This is an excellent website with more information:
http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/

Thanks for the link, looks like a good reference.

jono

JoeBob
02-16-04, 11:25 PM
Penske scrambled their radios on practice and qualifying days for many years. When Team Green got the Motorola sponsorship, they started doing the same.

The rules have banned scrambling during the race for years.

Mike Kellner
02-17-04, 12:47 AM
I still dislike the pit rules. My opinion is they should ditch fuel limits, quit closing the pits, and let people stop when they think best. They also need to get rid of the huge slow entrance and exit lanes which raise the time penalty for a stop.

I like the stop and go for blocking a car that is lapping you. However, a driver should be able to defend his position. I liked the one move rule. One move is OK, a move back across the track is blocking. They need to fix the tracks if they want more passing. Fewer chicanes, longer straights, and some way to reduce marbles so the grove is wider. Perhaps making it unprofitable to change tires, like one air gun, and no tire changing while refueling, which would allow you to change a flat tire, but it would take forever to change a set. That way, they tires would be harder, because they'd have to last the whole race, and would shed less crud.

mk

Robstar
02-17-04, 01:14 AM
I still dislike the pit rules. My opinion is they should ditch fuel limits, quit closing the pits, and let people stop when they think best.

I couldn't agree more... :thumbup:

Steve99
02-17-04, 01:50 AM
I think these pit rules will be better than last years. Allows some variance while still avoiding fuel economy runs. We'll see what happens once the team managers chew on them for a while though. They may come up with some unforeseen strategy.

Turn7
02-17-04, 09:13 AM
The one rule I wish they would initiate is one that requires the car to be up on jacks while the fuel rig is engaged.

I don't care if you change the tires or not, it would be an added measure to help prevent fuel rigs from being torn resulting in spills and fires.

chop456
02-17-04, 09:24 AM
The one rule I wish they would initiate is one that requires the car to be up on jacks while the fuel rig is engaged.

I don't care if you change the tires or not, it would be an added measure to help prevent fuel rigs from being torn resulting in spills and fires.

I'll even accept ALMS-style fueling first, then up on the jacks for tires. I like your idea better to leave a little bit of the excitement/speed in it, but I'd like to see one of them employed. RHR just missed a Verstappen-sized BBQ last year.

bigdcart
02-17-04, 10:13 AM
Under the new rules, will anyone ever pit under yellow?

Turn7
02-17-04, 11:16 AM
Sure. If your in the back half of the pack, and a new set of tires will allow you to pass then you would dash in and get some new tires or make a wing adjustment that could allow you to move up in the field. With points distributed throughout the field, it will make it worth while to move up from 17th to 14th. That will create many races within a race.

Brickman
02-17-04, 11:17 AM

I agree.

Getting rid of the fuel dial, mandatory pit stops, would of course eliminate fuel races.

Getting rid of Miami will help for more passing. ;)

Steve99
02-17-04, 01:21 PM

I really don't think that would solve the problem without some kind of direct interlock between the jacks and the fuel rig. If the fueler started to pull back but there was a problem with the nozzle disengaging, the guy on the air hose would still end up dropping the car. And the driver would be used to taking off as soon as the car was dropped.

G.
02-17-04, 01:49 PM
When Team Green got the Motorola sponsorship, they started doing the same.

The rules have banned scrambling during the race for years.Funny, I was always able to hear them just fine... ;) ;)

Hard Driver
02-17-04, 01:57 PM
:thumbup: I like them.

And I am not worried about the avoidable contact rule. It will be like pas interference... a judgement call. But they will only enforce penalties if someone does a dumb move and deserves it. I don't think every rub requires a penalty.

pfc_m_drake
02-17-04, 04:57 PM
Funny, I was always able to hear them just fine... ;) ;)
Well, I take it you were on the 'inside' then, because for sure they were scrambling their communications.

And to JoeBob's point about scrambling being illegal during the race for the past several seasons - he's absolutely correct. However, I found that there were, on occasion, a conversation or two on the TKG frequencies during the race that didn't exactly seem complete, if you follow what I'm saying. Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist...and maybe the channel just broke-up...I'm just making an observation.

mueber
02-17-04, 05:18 PM

Short tracks have had rules sending drivers who cause accidents to the back of the field for years. As long as they apply their "judgements" consistantly, it will be fine.

G.
02-17-04, 06:26 PM
Well, I take it you were on the 'inside' then, because for sure they were scrambling their communications.

And to JoeBob's point about scrambling being illegal during the race for the past several seasons - he's absolutely correct. However, I found that there were, on occasion, a conversation or two on the TKG frequencies during the race that didn't exactly seem complete, if you follow what I'm saying. Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist...and maybe the channel just broke-up...I'm just making an observation.

Racing Truth
02-17-04, 06:45 PM
I personaly do not think overtaking and contact go hand in hand.

Sure, but it DOES happen. And just because it does, that doesn't mean someone was being aggressive. Sometimes, ahhh, "stuff" happens. ;)

Racing Truth
02-17-04, 06:48 PM
Short tracks have had rules sending drivers who cause accidents to the back of the field for years. As long as they apply their "judgements" consistantly, it will be fine.

Does the track record of ChampCar officiating give you any such confidence?

But that misses the point, IMHO. We all remember the daring passes, the ones "no one else would have tried." With this rule, I fear that drivers won't want to take the risk of being penalized.

Brian_R
02-19-04, 09:43 PM
Fans will benefit from the rule changes as well, as teams will no longer be allowed to scramble their radio transmissions during a race weekend, meaning that fans that have scanners will be able to experience all the conversations between a team and driver during every Champ Car session during a weekend.

Now it's great that it's unscrambled but I know TKG was using one frequency for transmit from the Pit side, and another freq. from the car on at least one occasion. Now if they can force them to just use one freq. unscrambled and publish it (hell even charge $5 at the merchandise tent for the list) I think that would be even easier for those with scanners.

Unscrambled = more PT Radio Quote Top Ten Lists :)

KLang
02-19-04, 09:48 PM
I know TKG was using one frequency for transmit from the Pit side, and another freq. from the car on at least one occasion.

I noticed Newman/Haas doing that at least once last year as well. Either St Pete or RA, can't remember which.