PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500 2004

Brickman
02-15-04, 11:22 PM
Well... so ends a week in beautiful Florida.

As to Daytona...

#8 Wins another restrictor plate race for DEI, but his first 500. Since M.Waltrip has won more than one I have no doubt that IF jr stays with them he will too. At least he won a real... well... nonrestrictor plate race last year.

Ahhhh the President to paraphrase 'A few Congressmen told me to come to the daytona 500 If I wanted to... uh... see a spectacle...' Well... I'm sure that's why Reagan came also. ;) ;)

Secret Service: Portable metal detectors in Nextel Tower in the middle section, Sheriff deputies in the stands with police tape, lots of uniformed SS agents.

Jeff Gordon got more boos, Jr. more cheers. Sorry Mr. President.

Kiwifan
02-16-04, 03:19 AM
On my day off, Sunday NZ time I managed to catch the last 30 laps of the Nascar Saturday shootout. As Nascar has been off our screens since ESPN got the flick I thought I'd give it a go and watch it.

Benny Parsons is still as enthusiastic as ever but crikey there didn't seem to be too much racing as such. I mean I know those guys are very talented to be able to run that close and that fast but the whole deal reminded me of those demolition races where they have four cars joined together.

I gave it a second chance and taped the actual race but I just don't get it. I'm not against oval racing but I prefer when they race at Watkins Glen when it's not just following the leader in a train.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself 'Brick but it's just not me. ;)

Hope you didn't get sunburnt as it looked like a nice day there.

Rusty.

Brickman
02-16-04, 09:41 AM
On my day off, Sunday NZ time I managed to catch the last 30 laps of the Nascar Saturday shootout. As Nascar has been off our screens since ESPN got the flick I thought I'd give it a go and watch it.

Benny Parsons is still as enthusiastic as ever but crikey there didn't seem to be too much racing as such. I mean I know those guys are very talented to be able to run that close and that fast but the whole deal reminded me of those demolition races where they have four cars joined together.

I gave it a second chance and taped the actual race but I just don't get it. I'm not against oval racing but I prefer when they race at Watkins Glen when it's not just following the leader in a train.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself 'Brick but it's just not me. ;)

Hope you didn't get sunburnt as it looked like a nice day there.

Rusty.

I prefer Watkins Glen Cup races too, haven't gone since 2000 but can't help renewing my tickets and reselling them on the internet.

I go to Sears Point every year too...

Oh and I got burnt. :o

dando
02-16-04, 01:48 PM
NeckCar's day in the Sun (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1736051)...$50 it rains @ Indy this year.

-Kevin

skaven
02-17-04, 08:01 PM
Hi There ! ! ! !

:)

Don't give a crappus about this race, but always like to see the ratings and trends. Are the numbers out yet? Worth discussing?

FTG :p

Ziggy
02-17-04, 08:56 PM
Rating was a 10.2 Im told...................... DAMN

Ziggy

skaven
02-17-04, 09:17 PM
10.2 ! ! ! That's pretty solid. Will this be the year that Daytona doubles Indy in ratings?

Funny that the ratings were so high as I still get reports from an Hirl fan in Florida that Daytona tickets are easy to get and practically free if you know anybody. :rolleyes:

Racewriter
02-17-04, 09:36 PM
That's the second highest Daytona rating ever - 2002 was the biggest, 12.1 IIRC.

PlanMan
02-17-04, 11:57 PM
Funny that the ratings were so high as I still get reports from an Hirl fan in Florida that Daytona tickets are easy to get and practically free if you know anybody. :rolleyes:

LOL. He must be talking about the Rolex 24.

FCYTravis
02-18-04, 12:53 AM
I go to Sears Point every year too...
I'll have to track you down then! I was going to flag it last year but did Portland CART instead. They're different weekends this year.

Brickman
02-18-04, 01:38 AM
I'll have to track you down then! I was going to flag it last year but did Portland CART instead. They're different weekends this year.

I missed last year after 12 years straight.

For the first time this year they actually have... assigned camping in the 50 acre lot! :eek:

Trust me it's a shocker.

I keep hoping Chief will buy my Watkins Glen top row seats. ;)

ferrarigod
02-18-04, 12:37 PM
I would just like to say that I have so little interest or care about neckcar that i didn't even know if was this weekend. I didn't find out about the 24hr there until the morning of the race finsih was i was flipping around the dial. Never saw neckcar, didn't really watch tv this weekend. So great, I'm so proud that i didn't hear anything about it until I went over to my moms house looked at her newspaper and said oh, great, they series made it another year :mad:

At any rate, F1 starts in March Champ Car starts in April. The only real racing until F1 in March is WRC, so where is the Monaco rally highlights in the newspaper??? :gomer:

WickerBill
02-18-04, 01:39 PM
So nice of you to come poop in a thread you don't care about...

ferrarigod
02-18-04, 03:29 PM

I wasn't pooping just saying that the neckcar martketing media didn't get me, and I loved it. Just wanted to share that fact

The real thing is I'd like to know how neckcar gets a 10.2 rating going around in circles with 1950's technology, and Champ Car and F1 get low ratings in North America, even though they along with WRC are the most challenging and technologically advanced racing in the world. I also came to say that if Indy gets doubled by neckcars daytoner 500 this will truly be one of the saddest years in american motorsport

Steve99
02-18-04, 05:25 PM

Is there a smiley for that?

Racewriter
02-18-04, 06:24 PM
I wasn't pooping just saying that the neckcar martketing media didn't get me, and I loved it. Just wanted to share that fact

The real thing is I'd like to know how neckcar gets a 10.2 rating going around in circles with 1950's technology, and Champ Car and F1 get low ratings in North America, even though they along with WRC are the most challenging and technologically advanced racing in the world. I also came to say that if Indy gets doubled by neckcars daytoner 500 this will truly be one of the saddest years in american motorsport

Lemming envy raises its ugly head... :shakehead

ferrarigod
02-18-04, 07:51 PM
Lemming envy raises its ugly head... :shakehead

no envy, just curious thought as to how rubbing is racing became the norm for motorsports. I think openwheel has alot to deal with here, this country is huge but so many sports, and with neckcar the mainstay i'm worried personally. Not envious, worried that this country will lose a series worth something. The point of posting was to say wow, neckcar gets huge ratings, is said to be the greatest and I heard nothing all weekend, and I was happy about that. Shows some weakenging :)

JLMannin
02-20-04, 01:43 PM
Having a 26 race essentially meaningless "pre-season" prior to the final 10 races to the championship may just be the self-inflicted shot to the foot that ChampCar racing needs to get back on the track it was on in the early 90's.

How is the WWF crowd taking in the modifications to the championship this year?

Brickman
02-20-04, 02:22 PM
Having a 26 race essentially meaningless "pre-season" prior to the final 10 races to the championship may just be the self-inflicted shot to the foot that ChampCar racing needs to get back on the track it was on in the early 90's.

How is the WWF crowd taking in the modifications to the championship this year?

The "WWF crowd" thinks NASCAR has their head up their assets. NASCAR Championships are about how bad you don't do rather on how great you do. They simply should have given the winner 25 more points than second place and thrown out the 7 worst finishes.

Now the "chase" will consist of how bad you don't do over ten races. The White Wine and Feta cheese crowd is none too happy.

JLMannin
02-20-04, 02:34 PM
Of course it would never happen, but would it not be great if the top 10 plus those within 400 points that have their scores boosted simply boycotted the last ten races, effectively making it a 26 race championship?