PDA

View Full Version : Book Review

Ziggy
02-14-04, 11:24 AM
Lotus 78 and 79, "The Ground-Effect Cars" by John Tipler.

I first saw this book at Paul Zimmerman's booth while window shopping during the USGP in 2003. I wanted to purchase it, but figured it could wait as there was some really interesting "one off's" that HAD to be purchased that weekend.

I just finished with it, and let me say, THIS BOOK ROCKS!

Here again, being a huge Lotus fan, this book was very satisfying in the detail of coverage. When I ran into references of the SAE F1 Technology book in the first few pages, I was overjoyed! The book deals with a very scientific subject matter presented in a fashion that will be enjoyable for the non technical fan to read. In short, it puts a face on the time and the men who persevered into the development of the phenomenon that was ground effects.

It is comprehensive with a detailed introduction of who did what before, in the way of aerodynamics, leading into the Teams dark days with the Type 77.
Extensive overviews on Martin Ogilvie, Ralph Bellamy, Peter Wright, Tony Rudd, Eddie Denis, Bob Dance and others are a delight for any fan of Team Lotus. I found the design parameters laid down by Colin and its execution fascinating. A "secret" team of designers and fabricators where sent to actually live at a wind tunnel! They spend untold hours and hours establishing this science. The book will let you know who actually built the cars, what suppliers they used, heck, it even gives a list of shop equipment! The chapters dealing with skirt development are pricless.

We all have daydreamed of some super idea that would change the face of something we where interested in. This book takes a man's dream, and documents the toils and tribulations of the effort required. Many brilliant minds where at work here. Nobody knew anything about "air generation" and the wind tunnel was not yet in vogue. In the age right before the computer, nothing overcame trial and error like hard work and innovation. It was a very pivotal movement in racing car design.

Just a brilliant book. Bravo Mr Tipler

Ziggy

JT265
02-14-04, 11:31 AM
And the judges rule.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great stuff Zig!

<mind you, my book budget is suffering, but that's okay> ;)

RTKar
02-14-04, 12:00 PM
Thanks Zig, (The Senna book was outstanding). I'm still digesting, "Jackie Stewart A Restless Life" by Timothy Collins and Suart Sykes...and excellent read by the way.

Railbird
02-14-04, 08:45 PM
thanks Zig, good stuff