PDA

View Full Version : Laptop question

RacinM3
02-13-04, 03:19 PM
At the office, I plug a keyboard and monitor into my laptop to use it like a desktop (but I don't use a docking station).

When I remove the laptop form the office and use it with the built-in keyboard, it does something funny.

It's a Dell, and certain keys have a secondary use. For example, the J key has a small 1 on it, K has a small 2, L has a small 3, etc. The numbers are a different color than the letters.

When I use the built in keyboard, it's defaulting to this secondary key use, and I can't get it to quit it.

It's pissing me off!!! I realize I'm a clueless moron, but I don't need to be an angry clueless moron!

Cam
02-13-04, 03:22 PM
You turned the NumLock on with the normal keyboard! :D

KLang
02-13-04, 03:22 PM
Try turning Num Lock off? That's the way my work Dell works.

Edit: yea, what cam said. :)

2nd Edit: I do that all the time dialing into work from home and hose up my password. :gomer:

Turn7
02-13-04, 03:25 PM
Throw it away and buy a HP.

JoeBob
02-13-04, 03:27 PM
WWAJD: What Would A J Do?

pinniped
02-13-04, 04:07 PM
What you need is a large rubber mallet with a wooden handle. You take aim carefully, then give it a good wack or two. If that doesn't work, then you go find Arie Luyendyk and try it on him.

RacinM3
02-13-04, 04:45 PM
I agree on the mallet idea and the throw it away idea.

Stupid Dell.

I didn't realize you had to hold down the Fn kay AND hit the NumLk key to shut it off.

I consider myself armed with new knowledge today. Therefore I am more dangerous.

And it's all your guys fault! :D

Seriously, thanks.

Ankf00
02-13-04, 10:38 PM
dell laptops are atrocious.

Jag_Warrior
02-13-04, 10:58 PM
I agree on the mallet idea and the throw it away idea.

Stupid Dell.

I didn't realize you had to hold down the Fn kay AND hit the NumLk key to shut it off.

We had Dells until a couple of years ago. Then we switched to IBM's. IBM's are SOOO cool. My Think(less)Pad actually looks out for me. When it determines that I'm working too hard, it shuts off... ALL BY ITSELF! :flame:

SteveH
02-13-04, 11:02 PM
WWAJD: What Would A J Do?

You can find out here:
http://www.geocities.com/revlimited/askaj.htm

JT265
02-13-04, 11:06 PM
I got a Sony Vaio I'll sell you guys.

great machine. Only one problem, and it must be the Japanese corporate culture or sumpin.

You know how you will see and ad for a Nissan, Toyo or Honda that will say "MSRP, $24,787.00. Price as equipped, $41,993" ?

My laptop was like that. The price going in was bitchin', then it was " would you like a hard drive? How about media storage? Maybe a CD burner?

Yikes!!! :)

MAXAR RE
02-14-04, 02:54 AM
Throw it away and buy a HP.

He means Hpaq. (Or is it ComPaqard?) :p