PDA

View Full Version : EPL - There's so much I don't understand

WickerBill
02-13-04, 09:00 AM
So I upgraded to DirecTV's Total Choice Premier, because they gave it to me $20 off for 6 months.

I've always loved watching soccer (and playing it on my Xbox), but there's so little of it on "normal" channels that I've never been able to follow. But now... I'm watching Premiership matches almost every night on Fox Sports World or YES.

So, before I go about asking tons of really stupid questions, let me know if there are any fans of teams in the EPL (or fans of top level soccer in general) so I can ask you my stupid questions directly, and perhaps in PM.

WB

chop456
02-13-04, 09:23 AM
I know zilch about soccer, but I watch it when my brother-in-law is over. He's Peruvian, and played in prep school in London and in college here and in Mexico. He's a big fan and knows everything, but prefers the Mexican and S.A. leagues to the EPL.

DishNetwork added GOL! TV a few months back, and he was stoked to come over and watch it when I told him about it. They have whole 1/2 hour shows just about Real Madrid! Anyway, he comes over and we sit down to watch the new Spanish soccer mega-network and it turns out it's all dubbed into English! :laugh: He was a little dissapointed. :D

Anyway, I've given up on the NHL, and have found myself actually watching soccer on occasion. Now if they'd start showing college and pro Lacrosse in regular rotation, things would be peachy.

I'm pretty sure ankf00 knows a lot about soccer.

nrc
02-13-04, 09:25 AM
I hit the ball first time and there it was in the back of the net.

WickerBill
02-13-04, 09:29 AM
DishNetwork added GOL! TV a few months back, and he was stoked to come over and watch it when I told him about it. They have whole 1/2 hour shows just about Real Madrid!

My six year old son is a MONSTER Beckham fan, so I hope DirecTV adds Gol! sometime soon so he can see the jersey-seller in action. Right now, he's stuck watching him on Xbox and on Manchester United Classics on YES.

Ankf00
02-13-04, 11:58 PM
gol! rocks, Italian AND Spanish first leagues

ESPN Intl shows Spanish games too I think

FSW shows the occaisional German or Fance first league match, I think there's 1 live German first league match a week...

speculation on my part though because I just have extended basic cable :(

and Francesco Totti trumps Becks as midfielder ;) :p

eiregosod
02-14-04, 12:09 AM
I'm a big Manchester United fan, been so since the mid-80s , & I'm glad that beckham is gone to Espana , though his fashion followers are still here! :(

Spanish footie is the best, for flair & skill

Ankf00
02-14-04, 12:24 AM
Spanish footie is the best, for flair & skill

flair ya, but their defensive philosophy is "who needs it, lets just send all 11 towards their goal!" :rofl:

dirtyboy
02-14-04, 02:43 AM
HAHAHA both Chop and Warlock may attest to my soccer loving. World Cup 2002 stole my love from auto racing.

To tell the truth football (soccer to you not so smart people) has taken over that piece in my heart that was once devoted to Cart.

I’ve been a football fan since I went to England in 1996. I have some family there and I went to a few Premiership matches. The atmosphere was amazing and I was instantly hooked.

In 1997 the US team had a must win World Cup Qualifying game against Costa Rica in Portland Oregon. I took my soccer-hating friend Tim along, mostly because I didn’t have anyone else to take to the game. When the game ended I knew I was a fan for life. We won 1-0 on an amazing shot by Tab Ramos. The shot pretty much put us into the World Cup in France. We sucked in France the next year finishing dead last in the tournament, a lesson US Soccer will never forget.

As many of you can remember World Cup 2002 was pretty damn good for the USA. Well as a USMNT (United States Men’s National Team) mega fan I can’t wait for World Cup 2006. The wife and I already have plans to attend the whole tournament.

Soccer is now, pretty much, my whole sporting life. I can’t get enough. I am a member the LA Riot Squad (http://www.lariotsquad.net/) I go to ever game and consumed by all football on either Fox Sports World, Gol TV or the rare exception when the ultra worthless-ultra American ESPN plays a game.3

If you want to see your country play check out ESPN2 Wednesday at 11:30 am PST. The USA is playing Holland (AMAZING TEAM). This game I will be recording and keeping forever.

dirtyboy

Ankf00
02-14-04, 03:06 AM
god, the new nats kits are HORRIBLE!!!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040212/capt.rio10102121530.brazil_soccer_uniforms_rio101. jpg
http://oglobo.globo.com/foto_galeria/040212_camisa/camisa2.jpg

those are brasil's strips but nike does cookie-cutter kits, so just like last world cup where our kits were identical, just different colors, to brasil, holland, belgium, south korea, etc, we'll probably look as hideous as that. THEY LOOK LIKE BILLIARDS BALLS!

the new kits are going to be unveiled for the game, actually, holland is still nike too so their kits are going to be unveiled at the same time (how lame) as well

Nike == Suck.

TrueBrit
02-14-04, 03:42 AM
Footy is for nancys that are scared to play rugby.....

Wanna see a REAL game?? Check out the Six Nations cup starting this weekend....

Who am I pulling for?? Why that would be the WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS England of course!!!!

"Swing low sweet chariot...."

:thumbup:

Cheers!! Pip!! Pip!!

TrueBrit

dirtyboy
02-14-04, 03:50 AM

This tournament is at the Galaxy's new stadium - the'll be less than 10,000 at each match.

Cart4Live2003
02-14-04, 09:19 AM
Fox Sports World is my source for all soccer..

they have 1 or 2 EPL Live matches a week and 1 or 2 tape delayed matches.

they also have 1 or 2 Live French matches, and 2 Live German matches.. 1 Live German match on saturday and 1 live match on sunday. (at least that is how it was last year).. They also carry Brazillian Soccer, Argentine Soccer, Spanish League, Italien League.. umm Dutch League I think.. *thinks some more* oi so much I can't remember.. this is all I can remember without checking out their site.. at least that is what they had last year.. oh and also 1 Live MLS Match a week.. or is that 2.. can't remember.. and ESPN has 1 Live MLS match on saturday night.. (if they pick it up again for the next season).. Basically Fox Sports world is a football channel.. as in 3 different forms/sports..

Soccer/Football

Rugby League and Rugby Union

and Australian Rules Football (FOOTY!!!)

and can I just say.. Soccer is cool.. Go Manchester United in EPL, Go FC Bayern Munchen in German Bundes Liga, Go Chicago Fire in MLS!!

umm all forms of Rugby sucks.. :D

Go Carlton Blues in AFL (FOOTY)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok ok enough of my banter.. Play on!! :D

IlliniRacer
02-14-04, 10:44 AM
Footy is for nancys that are scared to play rugby.....

Cheers!! Pip!! Pip!!

TrueBrit

:thumbup: :thumbup: Started watching rugby a couple of years ago and found it intriguing. Watched the World Cup last year and was hooked.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. American football players are wusses. ;)

Chaos
02-14-04, 10:50 AM
Hey WickerBill, ask your questions! We could use some good soccer chat :)

Champions League is starting soon :)

Chaos
02-14-04, 10:52 AM
Francesco Totti trumps Becks as midfielder ;) :p

Totti has been world class this season. Let's see what happens in the Euros. Should be a wicked tournament :)

No South Korea to knock Italy out :) - yeah, i can smile about that now, but at the time, i was pretty pissed.

WickerBill
02-14-04, 11:24 AM
Right then, let me just list some things, trying not to make myself look stupid, and you tell me what I need to know. Savvy?

1. "Transfer Window"
2. Champions League vs. Premiership vs. FA Cup (F00 explained to me somewhat, but I slept, and I don't recall everything)
3. When, say, ManU comes to America in the summer to tour, they're doing so in their two month non-league window? Do they ever have an off-season?
4. What in the heck is up with, on a free kick, offensive players being allowed to stand in offside positions before the ball is struck?
5. Why can't I find a replica Tim Howard jersey anywhere?
6. Announcer-speak: When they say a club "went to Wembley in '94", are they saying they played in a championship, or just played a match in Wembley? Significance of Wembley to EPL? Why, when Oasis played one of the last gigs in Wembley, did they say they were glad the old place was being torn down? I had heard it had something to do with them being ManCity fans -- but ManU doesn't/didn't play at Wembley as a home stadium, right? They play(ed) at Old Trafford. Ugh. So confused.
7. Do "real" ManU fans hate Beckham for leaving, or are they glad he's gone? The support for Ferguson seems incredibly high.
8. Why is ManU so popular? Am I seeing it wrong? Just got back from vacation in Florida... tons of ManU jerseys (Becks, v. Nistelrooy, Giggs, even Saha!) and only ONE non-ManU jersey to be seen (Crespo). Is it a Yankees/Bulls thing -- everybody loves the winners?

Again... there are so many more questions... I wish I could sit and watch a match or three with you folks and just ask and ask and ask.

TrueBrit
02-14-04, 11:30 AM
Wembley is where they play the FA Cup (British Footy's version of the Superbowl)
Wembley Stadium is being torn down and replaced
ManU=Bulls/Yankees
"Transfer Window"=Trading Deadline
Real ManU fans are pissed that Beckham is gone because it means they don't get to gawk at Posh in the stands

mapguy
02-14-04, 11:40 AM
http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/vsite/vimagesite/images/jpg/0,11410,4566-0-51074-0-custom112380,00.jpg

Go Steelmen!

Chaos
02-14-04, 11:44 AM
I hope i'm not cutting TrueBrit's grass, but here goes... (these are my view of facts and may not be the actual facts :))

1. "Transfer Window"

Tis is a time where teams can buy and sell players from other teams. Typically the transfer window is open in the off-season and for a small period of time during the season.

2. Champions League vs. Premiership vs. FA Cup (F00 explained to me somewhat, but I slept, and I don't recall everything)

The premiership is the highest division in England. Teams like ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea are all there. The teams play a roundrobin (I think they play eachother 2 times) and the team with the most points wins the premier league title.

The FA cup is a knockout tournament similar to playoffs in NA. Every team in the English soccer association (known as FA - football association) has a spot in the tournament.

The champions league is a Europe-wide competition. It starts with 32 teams. The teams are comprised of the best teams in Europe from the season before. They include teams that one their national leagues and other prominent teams. ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, Juventus, AC Milan, Ajax, Real Madrid... are examples of teams in the Champions League. Milan won the title last season.

3. When, say, ManU comes to America in the summer to tour, they're doing so in their two month non-league window? Do they ever have an off-season?

i think they had one month off last season. most of the stronger european clubs are in constant training. but this is somewhat offset by the fact that their bench players are better than some other teams starters.

4. What in the heck is up with, on a free kick, offensive players being allowed to stand in offside positions before the ball is struck?

you stumped me on that one....i'm pretty sure if you're offside on a freekick you're offside. You can be in an offside position on a throw however.

5. Why can't I find a replica Tim Howard jersey anywhere?

cant help ya there...

6. Announcer-speak: When they say a club "went to Wembley in '94", are they saying they played in a championship, or just played a match in Wembley? Significance of Wembley to EPL? Why, when Oasis played one of the last gigs in Wembley, did they say they were glad the old place was being torn down? I had heard it had something to do with them being ManCity fans -- but ManU doesn't/didn't play at Wembley as a home stadium, right? They play(ed) at Old Trafford. Ugh. So confused.

Truebit got this one...

7. Do "real" ManU fans hate Beckham for leaving, or are they glad he's gone? The support for Ferguson seems incredibly high.

the purists are glad he's gone. he became a distraction. the enlgish soccer superioritists are not happy though since they feel the best english players should be playing in england

8. Why is ManU so popular? Am I seeing it wrong? Just got back from vacation in Florida... tons of ManU jerseys (Becks, v. Nistelrooy, Giggs, even Saha!) and only ONE non-ManU jersey to be seen (Crespo). Is it a Yankees/Bulls thing -- everybody loves the winners?

yup...

Cam
02-14-04, 11:45 AM
Go Carlton Blues in AFL (FOOTY)!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean this team? :D

http://www.pccruisers.com/camscfcjersey.jpg

RTKar
02-14-04, 11:49 AM
One of the most enjoyable sporting events I've ever attended was a World Cup Soccer match in Chicago back in 94. I know nothing about the game, except that Germany was the defending World Champions at the time. One of the local sports radio stations (WSCR) did nothing but denigrate the tournament, so I figured it must be good since I have so little respect for most of the hosts of that station...it's the World Cup..the best players. I knew I'd have to attend at least one match to better uinderstand the passion for the sport in the rest of the world. It was a gorgeous day with Germany playing Belgium. I picked up a $125 ticket for about $70 - $80, Soldier Field was rocking. Half the seats were filled with Germans and there were fans from every corner of the world. I felt as if I was another country. The game ended up being a high scoring match something like 5 to 3 with Germay winning. The passion of the Europen fans was astounding. I think I was the only American in my section.I've never heard so many foreign languages spoken in one place. The German fellow I sat next to rented a suite in the Hancock building for the entire tournament..not a cheap proposition. There were banners, in German, from different fan clubs and cities with fans constantly chanting.There was never a quiet moment. I swear most of the German fans had their faces painted and not a one was sober :) I still no nothing about soccer but I do know that I'd attend another World Cup game in a heart beat.

Ankf00
02-14-04, 01:26 PM
football threads I started on 7g were NEVER this cool, wtf?! were you ppl holding out on me? :saywhat: :p

I don't believe offensive players are allowed to be behind the last defender on a spot kick, but if they're onside once the ball is struck they're free to run behind the last defender.

and ManU == Yankees @ Steinbrenner's worst
they spend like crazy, Arsenal's entire roster last year cost less than ManU's top 3 transfers combined. Those crazy euros purchase players, don't trade...

Ankf00
02-14-04, 01:39 PM
Totti has been world class this season. Let's see what happens in the Euros. Should be a wicked tournament :)

No South Korea to knock Italy out :) - yeah, i can smile about that now, but at the time, i was pretty pissed.

Totti + Vieri + Del Piero == unbeatable, and ya, no SKoreans this time ;)

the highlight of last year's crappy showing was Roma trouncing Milan near the end of the season and Totti taking over the spot kicks and taking names better than Becks ever could.

video here:
Totti owning that wanker Dida (http://home.engr.utexas.edu/patelaa/pictures/tottimilan.mpeg)

Chaos
02-14-04, 02:09 PM
football threads I started on 7g were NEVER this cool, wtf?! were you ppl holding out on me? :saywhat: :p

and ManU == Yankees @ Steinbrenner's worst
they spend like crazy, Arsenal's entire roster last year cost less than ManU's top 3 transfers combined. Those crazy euros purchase players, don't trade...

Actually, ManU has been rather prudent this season. They sold Veron to Chelsea, and Beckham to Real. They bought Christiano Ronaldo from Porto. They got Howard from MLS for really cheap (relatively speaking). Perhaps the transfer of the year.

Now you wanna talk insane? Chelsea!!! They bought a bunch of players, and now some of them are on the bench more than they play. Ex. Joe Cole. I wish I were a billionaire oil tycoon :)

Ankf00
02-14-04, 02:17 PM
And big, burly, hairy, and Russian, you forgot that part ;)

Gol!TV might be on DirecTV next year, this year Dish has purchased exclusive rights, but the same birdies that predicted ESPN Deportes would become fulltime in the US and would have 8 champs league matches a matchday are saying DirecTV gets it next year, so write to DirecTV!

WickerBill
02-14-04, 07:30 PM
Is Gol! a premium, or a part of one of their packages (Dish, that is)?

eiregosod
02-14-04, 07:43 PM
Why are manchester united so popular?

in 1958 most of their team was killed in the munich air disaster! It was the most promising team in europe at that time , and some say would've dominated European footie for the fiollowing decade.

Despite the fact that ManU had modest success, they still attracted a large fanbase all over the world, when they started to dominate English football in the 90s it fuelled their popularity worldwide!

Ankf00
02-14-04, 08:03 PM
Why are manchester united so popular?

in 1958 most of their team was killed in the munich air disaster! It was the most promising team in europe at that time , and some say would've dominated European footie for the fiollowing decade.

Despite the fact that ManU had modest success, they still attracted a large fanbase all over the world, when they started to dominate English football in the 90s it fuelled their popularity worldwide!

how many european titles did ManU win compared to Real this past decade? What was it? 3 in 5 years for Madrid? Thank you come again ;)

WB: http://www.soccertv.com/dbs.cfm shows channel availability on specific dish packages, Gol is listed under Dish 180 and RSN packages, the lowest 2 dish packages apparently dont have it

also, you can always check soccertv.com for upcoming broadcasts, it's a bit disorganized but very thorough for US telecasts and the channels they appear on

JT265
02-14-04, 08:38 PM
How come you can't touch the ball with your hands? :gomer:

<just trying to stir things up some> ;)

Chaos
02-14-04, 09:10 PM
How come you can't touch the ball with your hands? :gomer:

<just trying to stir things up some> ;)

well...it is called football :)

trubritz
02-14-04, 10:03 PM
So I upgraded to DirecTV's Total Choice Premier, because they gave it to me $20 off for 6 months.

I've always loved watching soccer (and playing it on my Xbox), but there's so little of it on "normal" channels that I've never been able to follow. But now... I'm watching Premiership matches almost every night on Fox Sports World or YES.

So, before I go about asking tons of really stupid questions, let me know if there are any fans of teams in the EPL (or fans of top level soccer in general) so I can ask you my stupid questions directly, and perhaps in PM.

WB

A-ha, at last something I know a fair bit about...With the BDPS gone this season :), I can devote more of my time to the fine art of football.

A CHELSEA fan all my life (born within a few miles of Stamford Bridge), through the good and bad times, I'll answer most all your questions Laguna!

eiregosod
02-14-04, 10:56 PM
how many european titles did ManU win compared to Real this past decade? What was it? 3 in 5 years for Madrid? Thank you come again ;)

we're talking popularity not success here!

there was a 31 year gap between man U winning 2 European Cups, it hardly dented their popularity worldwide :p

besides, ManU didnt go seriously into debt requiring the local govt to bail them out :p :p

Ankf00
02-14-04, 11:14 PM
ManUre!!!

eiregosod
02-14-04, 11:17 PM
ManUre!!!

EARL Madrid ;)

Ankf00
02-14-04, 11:31 PM
*shrug*

Forza Roma beyotch. ;)

they're still ManUre :)

Dr. Corkski
02-15-04, 12:06 AM
Real doesn't have Tim Howard. :p

eiregosod
02-15-04, 12:11 AM
Real doesn't have Tim Howard. :p

After this past week, I'm sure they'd wanna stay clear of him, he let in 10 goals in 3 games!

Dirty Sanchez
02-15-04, 12:18 AM
I'm a big Manchester United fan, been so since the mid-80sbecause of Keane?
;)

eiregosod
02-15-04, 12:27 AM
because of Keane?
;)

actually no, when I started rooting for them, everyone was either a Liverpool fan or a ManU fan. I didn't like rooting for the team that was winning, ie Liverpool, so it was ManU. There was always great Irish players for manu over the years, now our (Irish) players indulge in too many opiates in their teenage years to make it big!

Keano, he sets a high standard, unusual for us as we'll celebrate any old defeat

Dirty Sanchez
02-15-04, 11:02 AM
10-4.

I'm a bigger fan of international footie, personally. I was in France during the Euro 2000 Cup Final (for a race :D )... that was fun. This year's tourney should be good again!

Club football, while interesting, is a little goofy sometimes with all the ancillary tournaments... they play constantly! I do like their system of promoting/relegating from one division to the next though... I always thought some traditionally crap American sports teams (Clippers, Bengals, etc.) might get their act together if a system like that was used here.

eiregosod
02-15-04, 08:49 PM
10-4.

I'm a bigger fan of international footie, personally. I was in France during the Euro 2000 Cup Final (for a race :D )... that was fun. This year's tourney should be good again!

Club football, while interesting, is a little goofy sometimes with all the ancillary tournaments... they play constantly! I do like their system of promoting/relegating from one division to the next though... I always thought some traditionally crap American sports teams (Clippers, Bengals, etc.) might get their act together if a system like that was used here.

International Championship tournaments are the best by far :thumbup: , there's nothing quite like when all the paricipating countries would stand still and follow their country for their duration in the tournament!

International footie has the elite of the elite. I find club football to be bring these days (English league), its way over hyped for the skill level of the players, thanks to subscription TV the players are way over-paid and last but not least the media coverage is dumbed down, I'm sick & tired of hearing the same hackneyed expressions describe the same dull games :D

As for the relegation/promotion that provides a lot of excitment , even though 3 teams get relegated there's always 5 or 6 who are constantly sweating. The financial gulf between the top flight leagues & the lower leagues is enormous, basically clubs would have to file for bankruptcy if they're to turn around & survive.

With the European Champions League dominating football, qualifying for that tournament is essential nowadays. Each county sends only so many teams into it that getting the final ECL spot now overshadows the relegation battles towards the end of the season.

Cart4Live2003
02-16-04, 12:25 AM
CAM ...

*bows down to the Carlton jersey*

yes yes that is what i'm talking about hehe

just look at this and you'll know what I mean CAM hehe

http://www.geocities.com/carltonfootyfan/CFCtattoo.jpg

I'm as big a fanatic about the AFL and Carlton as I am on Champ Cars!! :D

Ankf00
02-18-04, 03:16 PM
USA @ holland on in 15 minutes! making them put it on on the plasma in the student lounge downstairs :)

and both sides are bringing their stars

starting lineups:
US:-------------------Donovan-----------McBride------------

----------------------------Reyna--------------------------

----Lewis----------------------------------------Convey--

---------------------------Armas--------------------------

---Bocanegra-----Gibbs----Berhalter--------Hejduk---

--------------------------Keller---------------------------

Hol: van der sar, Heitenga, Stam, Cocu, Bouma, Sneijder, van der Vaart, Davids, van der Meyde, van Nistelrooy, Robben

freaking keller and lewis instead of howard and mathis :flame:

rabbit
02-18-04, 03:45 PM
I've never seen a European match. I watch Mexican League futbol on Gala and Univision as often as I can. I added the SportPack to my DirecTV package now so I'll definitely be checking it out. I got hooked on soccer watching the last World Cup, but I'm still a novice.

Maybe WB could set up a "stupid football questions" forum cause I'll probably have a bunch! :gomer:

eiregosod
03-12-04, 09:57 PM
well ankf,

I was wrong on Real, their team is even better than the USA olympic basketball dream team!

Ankf00
03-12-04, 10:37 PM
well ankf,

I was wrong on Real, their team is even better than the USA olympic basketball dream team!

me too, damnit.