PDA

View Full Version : I lost a very dear friend yesterday....

RaceChic
02-12-04, 11:10 PM
:(

Some of you who know me know I am a critical care nurse. I used to work in an ICU at a large teaching hospital in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. We specialize in post-transplant cases. These cases can be very rewarding, but also very challenging as well. Some of these patients can suffer from rejection of their transplanted organs as well as infections due to their immunocompromised state created to prevent them from rejecting their organs. Because of these complications, some of these patients can be in the ICU for a very long time, sometimes up to months at a time. When this occurs, they can become a whole different challenge to care for. They suffer from depression and poor motivation. These patients accept transplantation in hopes of trading an unmanageable disease for a more manageable disease. Even though these patients want a transplant for a second lease on life, when they hit complications, even the most motivated of spirits can suffer. This brings me to my friend, Yves.

He suffered from Cystic Fibrosis. At 20 years of age, he had his first double lung transplant. He sailed through the recovery phase and was home in a few weeks back in Timmins, some 8 hours north of Toronto. A month later he suffered acute rejection and was back in Toronto. It becomes a dilemma whether or not to give these patients a second transplant because of how ill they become during rejection and the reduced likelihood of success. Yves was a fighter and a warm, happy spirit, so the team went ahead. Sometimes having a fighting spirit is a better set of predictability of success than any statistic a doctor can offer. A donor became available and he had his second double lung transplant.

The second one took a lot more out of him than his first. He was in out ICU for about three months when I came in to care for him. He was depressed and very unmotivated. He had not been out of bed nor had he walked in that whole time. He was frail and weak. By the end of the fourth day that I cared for him, he took his first steps. It was very painful for him, because of the lack of use his muscles had had in the previous three months not including the time before that that he waited on a ventilator for lungs.

He became determined during those pivotal four days and left our unit three weeks later. I visited his bedside every day during that time. Nurses don't generally maintain friendships with their patients because of the emotional difficulty of impending loss, but if I had never maintained a friendship with this young man, it would have been only my loss.

Yves taught me what determination meant. He taught me the value of unconditional friendship. He also taught me that the friendships that are the heaviest on your heart such as these are the best ones to have. Yves had another year of his life at home in Timmins with his family and friends that if he had not become motivated to leave the hospital, he never would have had. I am grateful and privileged to have had a part in that.

I am proud to have been able to call Yves Joanisse my friend. I will miss him more that words can express, but I will never forget what he taught me: the value of a human life, that life is too short, and that we need to cherish every moment we have.

http://www.timminspress.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=57938&catname=Local+News

My friend, Yves Joanisse. I will never forget him. He will always live on in my heart. :)

http://www.timminspress.com/webapp/sitepages/images/www.timminspress.comf/newsphotos/file2122004124437AM.jpg

devilmaster
02-12-04, 11:12 PM
sorry to hear terri.

prayers and wishes....

Steve

cart7
02-12-04, 11:16 PM
My prayers are with his family and you right now Terri.

My mother-in-law recieved a liver transplant just in the nick of time some 10 years ago. Her life after the transplant was difficult to say the least. Increasing dosages of anti-rejection medications led to vulnerability to other diseases. She lived 7 years after the transplant though they weren't great quality years, many month's were spent in the hospital fighting off various infections.

Yves sounds like a one of a kind guy. You were lucky to have known him.

B3RACER1a
02-12-04, 11:18 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

It doesnt only sound like your loss though, but everyones. :(

He is the material heros are made of. :thumbup:

lone_groover
02-12-04, 11:22 PM
So sad. Deepest sympathy to everyone.

Brickman
02-12-04, 11:37 PM
Prayers to him, his family, and friends.

Robstar
02-12-04, 11:44 PM
Sounds like a fighter... respect...

Prayers from downunder...

JT265
02-13-04, 12:17 AM
Thoughts and prayers Terri. Sad deal that.

Lizzerd
02-13-04, 02:02 AM
Terri, I remember you telling me of this young man. It was not long after we met a year and a half or so ago. You made quite an impression on me regarding the kind of person that you are. You are a very caring and thoughful, wonderful lady. That first impression of you has not wavered in the least. You told me of how you took a particular interest in Yves (I'm sure you do with other patients, too), how you encouraged him to fight, raised his spirits, made him laugh and feel loved, and scolded him when he was seemingly giving up on life, then lifted his spirits with a good joke. That in itself almost brought a tear to my eye.

Now, Yves is no longer with us, and I think I have a special understanding of the pain you must feel now.

May God Bless Yves and you.

pinniped
02-13-04, 02:03 AM
he too was very fortunate to have made such a good friend...

Kiwifan
02-13-04, 02:15 AM
Thinking of you.....

Rusty.

fourrunner
02-13-04, 02:29 AM
RaceChic

I'm very sorry for the loss of Yves... Your Story was sad to read about such a young man losing his life ... I can imagine how tough it must be to want so much to live, but every minute is a struggle to keep up.

I'm sure your friendship with him just brightened his outlook and helped him live a much longer life than he would have had you not been his friend!

DjDrOmusic
02-13-04, 05:35 AM
Terri, if you need to talk, I'm here. I'm sorry for your loss, and please know that your friend Yves will be remembered in our prayers. :(

rocket
02-13-04, 05:58 AM
No words here...except prayers :(

RTKar
02-13-04, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear that Terri. May the good memories last a life time.

sadams
02-13-04, 10:43 AM
Thank God there are people like you. :thumbup: I know I couldn't do it.
Prayer for you and his family.

Gangrel
02-13-04, 10:58 AM
My deepest condolances. There are few traits in a person that I have more admiration for than a fighting spirit, and he certainly had that. I am certain that he will continue to be with you for a very long time. :(

nrc
02-13-04, 11:19 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss, Terri. Thank you for sharing those wonderful memories. The pain will dull with time but you'll still have those memories to cherish.

Hard Driver
02-13-04, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend. You are a better person than I. I could never do your job. You are helping people who desperately need it. When you look at the good contributed to the world, you are a wonderful person who saves lives. You can't do much more than that. Thank god for people like you. I just personally couldn't deal with the pain and suffering. I am truely sorry to hear that such a fine person lost such a hard fight. Life is just not fair sometimes.

goldpanracing
02-13-04, 02:59 PM
my thoughts are with you

jcollins28
02-13-04, 03:36 PM
RaceChic,

Sorry to hear of your loss. My sister has CF and we are all hoping for a cure. My sister is 24 and has been in pretty good shape. I'm just hoping for a cure to come soon. Again I'm very sorry to hear of this news.

nz_climber
02-13-04, 05:37 PM
Thats a very moving story RC, made me think how lucky most of us are

Thinking of you...

RaceGrrl
02-13-04, 11:34 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss, Chica. You were Yves caregiver in the truest sense of the word. I'm certain that he felt just as blessed by your friendship as you did by his.

SID
02-14-04, 02:25 PM
My deepest sympathies.

Words can't explain the respect and admiration that I have for you. Thank you for doing this work.

SID

Don Quixote
02-14-04, 02:31 PM
Such a terrible disease. Many prayers. :(

Anteater
02-14-04, 05:21 PM
My deepest condolences on the loss of your dear friend, RaceChic. :(

RaceChic
02-14-04, 05:34 PM
Thank-you to everyone for your kind words and taking the time to reply with your thoughts. I didn't honestly expect all of you to comment so kindly on my profession, but thank-you for that as well.

It means so very much to me to be able to have a place like this with all of you to be able to share the difficult times.

Thank-you for allowing me to share this story. It was very helpful for me. Just typing the story out for all of you helped me process it and appreciate the experience for all of the blessings it has given me.

I have really missed this place and all of you here.

Thank-you.
Terri

:)