PDA

View Full Version : Despain says Cart driver to make announcement next week on the tunnel

cart7
02-12-04, 11:01 PM
According to him, a OWRS driver will be on next week to announce his plans.

Vasser? Anybody know??

RacinM3
02-13-04, 01:02 AM
Check this out: http://sports.yahoo.com/cart/news?slug=ap-vasser-champcar&prov=ap&type=lgns

Don't look if you're not the optimistic type.

:thumbup:

Lizzerd
02-13-04, 02:12 AM
Vasser...Tracy... our two greatest driving ambassadors.

Gooooo Jeeeeemmmmyyyy!!!!!

KLang
02-13-04, 07:40 AM
:thumbup: Alright JV.

On Friday, the owners of the new Champ Car World Series are expected to close on their purchase of CART, which lost nearly $78 million in the first nine months of 2003.

Why did everyone think this was going to happen on the 12th?

Thankfully I think that describes most of us here so far. :cool:

aka Type-S

rabbit
02-13-04, 08:43 AM
Check this out: http://sports.yahoo.com/cart/news?slug=ap-vasser-champcar&prov=ap&type=lgns

Both the IRL and Busch series offered him a chance to drive on their circuits, but Vasser declined, hoping CART would emerge from bankruptcy and race this season.

``I went out on a limb pursuing things,'' he said. ``I'm overjoyed that it's come through this way.'' Go Jeemy! :thumbup:

RaceChic
02-13-04, 10:17 AM
I'm sooo glad to see this.

It's nice to see the loyalty. :thumbup:

KobySon
02-13-04, 11:53 AM
:thumbup: Alright JV.

aka Type-S

I think PG said that announcements would start on Feb 12. Or there would be a slew of, or something to that effect.

Winston Wolfe
02-13-04, 12:03 PM
You gotta believe that guys like PK, KK and GF know that the core fans of CART and OWRS really think highly of Jeemy, and know that he is important to see back in the series. Heck, if they looked at any one of the CART centric boards on the internet, they'd see Jeemy as one of the crowd favorites.
Interesting stat:
Jeemy has finished in the Top 10 more than I would have ever guessed.
He is just "that good"!

GO JEEMY !!!!

CART T. Katz
02-13-04, 12:31 PM
i just read that christian fittipaldi has just been released from his petty contract.

christian maybe hooking up with uncle?

Accipiter
02-13-04, 12:59 PM
I think PG said that announcements would start on Feb 12. Or there would be a slew of, or something to that effect.

Twas Khalkoven who said the deal would be closed around the 12th, and we kind of all hung our hats on that date. So it's going to happen a day later. No big deal. Hopefully we'll get all the important announcements over the weekend. :thumbup:

RobGuru
02-13-04, 01:30 PM
While I'm all for OWRS driver announcements, I wish they wouldn't do it on Despain's show. He has not been a kind man to C^RT in the past.

Insomniac
02-13-04, 01:34 PM

That was the date reported when they won the auction in January.

Racing Truth
02-13-04, 02:09 PM
:thumbup: Verrrrryyyy good news! PK is a bit of a surprise though. I was betting more on Rocketsports. Either way, :cool:

BTW: I might not always agree with Despain, but he's honest, consistent, and a good guy. Oh yeah, he hosts the only weekday show dedicated to all motorsports now. Makes sense to announce it there.

ShickStift
02-13-04, 02:47 PM
It would be nice to see Vasser in a team with a fair bit of financial backing like Kalkhoven Racing.

So if this rumour is true, we'll potentially see three Americans in the field: Vasser, Almendinger, and Hunter-Reay. It would be great if the series could get a few other Americans like Fogarty in the series.

Chief
02-13-04, 03:08 PM
While I'm all for OWRS driver announcements, I wish they wouldn't do it on Despain's show. He has not been a kind man to C^RT in the past.

Yeah but there isn't any other show anywhere to break the news anymore. What the hell, maybe we gotta bury the hatchet for the good of it all.

KLang
02-13-04, 03:20 PM
It would be nice to see Vasser in a team with a fair bit of financial backing like Kalkhoven Racing.

So if this rumour is true, we'll potentially see three Americans in the field: Vasser, Almendinger, and Hunter-Reay. It would be great if the series could get a few other Americans like Fogarty in the series.

FWIW, AR1 is rumoring Townsend Bell is possible as well.

jonovision_man
02-13-04, 03:31 PM
FWIW, AR1 is rumoring Townsend Bell is possible as well.

Who can afford the cost of bodywork? :rolleyes:

Joking, he did ok in F3000 last year, managed to catch a few of the races. Still has the occassional brain-cramp, and he certainly wasn't the class of the field, but F3000 is notoriously hard for rookies.

jono

ShickStift
02-13-04, 04:01 PM
Considering the driving experience Townsend has and that he was with the best team in the series, his F3000 career was very poor.

Any 'but he was a rookie' or 'he doesn't know the tracks' excuses won't fly either. Half the grid were rookies who didn't know the tracks and still did better.

Steve99
02-13-04, 04:53 PM
Any 'but he was a rookie' or 'he doesn't know the tracks' excuses won't fly either. Half the grid were rookies who didn't know the tracks and still did better.

How about the "he's an American driver and takes longer to come up to speed" excuse? Is that one okay? :)

fourrunner
02-13-04, 05:13 PM
Good for Jimmy, and BETTER for OWRS!!!

Regarding Dave Despain, the only thing that drives me nuts is the "gutteral Top 40 Radio Jock Voice" he uses on the show

I admire the guy for taking on E-Mailers who trash him on the air

I never really heard him trash CART the Series, but yes he's roughed up the administrators on occasion, but hell, we do that too.

I really couldn't tell you whether Dave is Pro or Anti CART/ IRL. He seems to vary according to the subject. A Reporter SHOULD NOT be taking a side. If they are too STRIDENT, then there just a Lemming ... I don't get that impression from Dave.

I might not agree with everything he says, but he says enough good stuff to make me like him.

dreamracer
02-13-04, 05:23 PM

Regarding Dave Despain, the only thing that drives me nuts is the "gutteral Top 40 Radio Jock Voice" he uses on the show

I never really heard him trash CART the Series, but yes he's roughed up the administrators on occasion, but hell, we do that too.

I really couldn't tell you whether Dave is Pro or Anti CART/ IRL. He seems to vary according to the subject. A Reporter SHOULD NOT be taking a side. If they are too STRIDENT, then there just a Lemming ... I don't get that impression from Dave.

I might not agree with everything he says, but he says enough good stuff to make me like him.

Dave likes the bikes the best, IMHO.

I like Dave, I don't agree with him all the time, but I like him.

dreamracer
02-13-04, 05:24 PM

:thumbup:

SCHWEEET! :thumbup:

skaven
02-13-04, 05:27 PM
:) Awesome ! ! !

It would be great to see Jeemy, RHR, Allemdinger and Townsend all in the CCWS. Over the past couple of years, I've travelled to Road America, Cleveland and Vancouver to see some of my favorite races (thinking the end might be near). I had a lot of fun anyway. This year I might have to put another trip together and with the new direction, not feel like I'm attending a swan song.

Is it possible with the American driver count, small teams, etc. that we could see some of the fans who were initially against CART (big teams, etc.) coming our way?

I would welcome them.

cart7
02-13-04, 05:32 PM

The biggest gripe I've ever heard him voice is that, Cart being run by a committee of team owners was insane. It needed a single leader many years ago. Though I don't regularily tune in either so he may have said worse.

He's also ragged on the earl saying he thought an oval track series dominated by short trackers was a good idea. Though he also said it should have been a Cart ladder series.

BTW, you'll note I said Despain didn't mention the driver. He didn't. For all I know it might be Geoff Boss who'll tell us about his plans with Coyne and how they'll tempt fate by trying to run Vancouver without taking all the corners off the cars. ;)

Ziggy
02-13-04, 05:45 PM
Depain is a Kool Aid swilling Lemming

Dont ever forget that

Clueless in Charlotte

Ziggy

Jag_Warrior
02-13-04, 11:12 PM
Depain is a Kool Aid swilling Lemming

Dont ever forget that

Clueless in Charlotte

Ziggy

In the IRL's early days, Despain was asking for seconds on the Kool-Aid. Now that the IRL is basically a discount version of the old CART, Despain seems to have changed his tune a bit. Unlike some, he seems to realize that TG's vision was just a power grabbing lie.

Brickman
02-13-04, 11:52 PM
In the IRL's early days, Despain was asking for seconds on the Kool-Aid. Now that the IRL is basically a discount version of the old CART, Despain seems to have changed his tune a bit. Unlike some, he seems to realize that TG's vision was just a power grabbing lie.

He signed up to ask questions at Track Forum, would he be welcome here??

jonovision_man
02-14-04, 12:24 AM
Considering the driving experience Townsend has and that he was with the best team in the series, his F3000 career was very poor.

Not completely true, only a few of the people who finished ahead of Bell in the standings were rookies, most were in F3000 in 2002. Of course, most weren't with teams as good as Arden...

He finished ahead of Baumgartner, and he's in F1 this year. :rolleyes: OK, so he bought a ride at Minardi, so what? :P

Townsend Bell might still prove to be a good driver, but he doesn't seem to have that something extra that the greats have.

jono

Lizzerd
02-14-04, 02:14 AM

I would say yes. He surely knows the collective TF mindset, so he would likely know ours. If he is an honest journalist/commentator, he will ask questions to this crowd that we are interested in answering and likewise ask for questions of him of which we would want to know his opinions.

Sure, if Dave wants to be here and identify himself, I would welcome him. That's just MHO, though.

JT265
02-14-04, 02:34 AM
I'm with Lizzerd on this one.

Jag_Warrior
02-14-04, 02:43 AM

Sure, I don't see why not.

Kiwifan
02-14-04, 02:44 AM
What about Trackside? Anyone know where he is these days? I had an idea he was working with TEAM USA but I could be wrong. ;)

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Rusty.

Railbird
02-14-04, 08:24 AM
I've always enjoyed Despain's work whether I agreed with him on certain points or not.

Bell has always seemed to be a half step behind where I would like to see a "phenom" be. Potentail perhaps, but up to this point unrealized.

It wouldl be nice to see Yimmy in with a shot but even with financing any effort put together this late is surely going to take time to find it's feet. Assembling a team complete with engineers is not the work of a moment no matter who's writing the checks. That said, Go Yimmy!

Cart4Live2003
02-14-04, 08:56 AM
Actually Rail.. if Jimmy is going to PK.. they already have a crew for a 2nd car.. the majority of the Patrick crew was hired by KK. Also Jimmy has had his own sponsorship (not sure exactly how much $$ he has backing for) that he has to shop around with in the champ car paddock. :D :laugh:

TravelGal
02-16-04, 02:34 AM
Townsend Bell might still prove to be a good driver, but he doesn't seem to have that something extra that the greats have.

jono

That's for sure. All he has even showm me is an extra big ego. He was basically tossed out of CART and it was everyone else's fault. PULEEZE don't let it be Bell......