PDA

View Full Version : OWRS market idea

Chaos
02-12-04, 02:59 PM
Do you have indoor or outdoor karting tracks near you? Wouldnt that be a good place to advertise ChampCar events? Get those people involved, especially the younger ones, and maybe you'll get them hooked on the major league product.

At the very least, it can't hurt.

Hard Driver
02-12-04, 03:50 PM
Sure, not a bad idea. But it is not like tons of people go to them. And many that do probably already know what Champcars are. So I think it is a good idea, but it isn't going to bring in "the masses"

What we really need is some good fistfights in the paddock after the race, maybe more people flipping people off on the track.. While cheesy, the "highlight" would be shown on Sportcenter and CNN and get the series and drivers name recognition.

What would really be a good marketing idea, is have a Champ car race a NASCAB on any track. When the Champcar starts lapping the Nascab every 3 laps, maybe the difference in performance would sink in. Of course no self respecting NASCAB team or driver would participate.

KLang
02-12-04, 03:56 PM
How about a few Janet Jackson type moments. ;)

That would surely draw some media attention.

(formerly Type-S)

Sean O'Gorman
02-12-04, 03:57 PM
OWRS would be stupid to not make a connection. I think they should try and get the Champ Car brand name associated with karting. The one thing that racing lacks compared to other sports is the fact that the average fan has no idea what its like to race, at least with karting they can get a taste of what its like.

Sean O'Gorman
02-12-04, 04:00 PM
What would really be a good marketing idea, is have a Champ car race a NASCAB on any track. When the Champcar starts lapping the Nascab every 3 laps, maybe the difference in performance would sink in. Of course no self respecting NASCAB team or driver would participate.

:D

I was over a friend's house watching the Twin 125s with him and his girlfriend. She is huge into cars and hes "breeding" her to like auto racing, so whenever he left the room I'd tell her not to believe his propaganda that NASCAR is the only form of racing out there. So we got into a nice argument about that, with him changing his mind about showing her the Super Speedway DVD...but I'll make sure she gets to see what its like.

Mike Kellner
02-12-04, 04:36 PM
Any promotion would be great. One guy with a sandwich board would be an improvement.

"What would really be a good marketing idea, is have a Champ car race a NASCAB on any track. When the Champcar starts lapping the Nascab every 3 laps, maybe the difference in performance would sink in. Of course no self respecting NASCAB team or driver would participate."

Does anyone remember the half hour TV show with Niki Lauda where he had a 83 McLaren, and Porsche, and a family sedan. First he spends a bunch of time showing what a GP car is, and how it is different. In grand finale, he is standing there drinking coffee. The Sedan launches. 30 seconds later, the Porsche launches. He finishes his coffee, straps into the GP car, and catches both before they make one lap. Maybe we should remake that show, and get out the two seater, giving some regular people rides. Run it over and over again on Spike, and anywhere else that will have it. Getting a used NASCAB for the demo would be a great touch. Start 'em side by side, and see how long it took to lap the cab.

Oh, I just remembered Bobby Rayhal made one too in the late 80s.

mk

turn1
02-12-04, 04:45 PM
How about a few Janet Jackson type moments. ;)

That would surely draw some media attention.

(formerly Type-S)

Didn't we kinda have that at Mid-Ohio a couple years ago?

:)