PDA

View Full Version : Seventhgear seems to be no more (topic changed by WB)

Pages : [1] 2 3

CART T. Katz
02-11-04, 06:09 PM
7thgear.com (specifically) is redirecting to crash.net, seventhgear.com is loading normally. anyone know what is going on?

Adder
02-11-04, 06:11 PM
I've just noticed this too, was working a couple of hours ago??

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-04, 06:13 PM
Forums don't load, apparently they've been deleted? :confused:

Looks to me like this is the end of 7G.

Adder
02-11-04, 06:16 PM
I've just noticed this too, was working a couple of hours ago??

The domain seems to be owned by crash.net now??

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-04, 06:21 PM
Whois info for, 7thgear.com:
Registrant:
Crash dot Net Ltd
The Innovation Centre
Telford Road
Bicester, Oxford OX26 4LD
UK

Domain name: 7THGEAR.COM

Administrative Contact:
Nolan, Martin martin@crash.net
The Innovation Centre
Telford Road
Bicester, Oxford OX26 4LD
UK
01869 255799
Technical Contact:
Technical, Host Europe webmaster@hosteurope.com
Portland Street
Beeston
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire NG9 2LP
UK
+44.1159170000 Fax: +44.1158770213

Registration Service Provider:
Host Europe PLC, helpdesk@hosteurope.com
+44 115 917 0000
http://www.hosteurope.com/
This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 10-Feb-2004.
Record expires on 28-Mar-2005.
Record created on 28-Mar-1999.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS.HOSTEUROPE.COM 212.67.202.2
NS2.HOSTEUROPE.COM 212.67.203.246

JoeBob
02-11-04, 06:29 PM
Brad Allen's story and photos from Sebring appeared on 7G and crash.net. The 7G photos credited "Brad Allen - crash.net" I wonder if Brad took over the whole thing, and took a deal working with crash.net

I hate to see any web site go under, but 7G had become painful to watch as of late. I'd much rather remember 7G for what it once was, not how it spent its last days.

Turn7
02-11-04, 07:27 PM
:)

Just another example of what happens when you let a woman run a business.

:ducking:
:p :p

Kiwifan
02-11-04, 07:31 PM
Are you ever in trouble mate. :)

I popped in to 7G this morning and thought it was pretty quiet. Wonder what's up?

Rusty.

KLang
02-11-04, 07:34 PM
Forums don't load, apparently they've been deleted? :confused:

I'm still in the forums using the 7thgear URL.

Ankf00
02-11-04, 07:46 PM
7thgear.com takes me to crash.net now...

seventhgear.com takes me to the main 7g page but the forum link redirected me to 7thgear.com/ultimateubb... etc again and failed...

fourrunner
02-11-04, 07:55 PM
7thgear.com takes me to crash.net now...

seventhgear.com takes me to the main 7g page but the forum link redirected me to 7thgear.com/ultimateubb... etc again and failed...

HMMMM

I just posted there.

G.
02-11-04, 08:01 PM
How? I can't.

fourrunner
02-11-04, 08:03 PM
How? I can't.

Seventhgear.com (NOT 7thgear.com)

Then click on forums...

Robstar
02-11-04, 08:03 PM
Me neither...

fourrunner
02-11-04, 08:07 PM
Me neither...

see my post above

So far its still working for me ... maybe the changeover is going on now so it may change soon.

As of 7:08 PM it's still tasking my posts

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-04, 08:15 PM
Figures, I cleared my cookies last night, so now I can't log back in. Guess I'm officially done there.

G.
02-11-04, 08:16 PM
Seventhgear.com (NOT 7thgear.com)

Then click on forums...No worky for me...

fourrunner
02-11-04, 08:21 PM
No worky for me...

This is weird... I was just there 7:20PM ET although mine is the only post since 6:40 PM

Ankf00
02-11-04, 08:22 PM
I hit up seventhgear.com to enter the main page, but the forum links are all in 7thgear format

I manually change the URL bar entry every time, annoying... and on top of that, the graphics dont load for me, just the text.

Audi_A4
02-11-04, 08:23 PM
Weird indeed http://seventhgear.com goes to the old site and http://7thgear.com goes to some crappy crash.net site

fourrunner
02-11-04, 08:24 PM
I hit up seventhgear.com to enter the main page, but the forum links are all in 7thgear format

I manually change the URL bar entry every time, annoying... and on top of that, the graphics dont load for me, just the text.

Maybe Crash.net is killing it one photo at a time.
:eek:

Ankf00
02-11-04, 08:25 PM
just tried to post w/ seventhgear.com format and...

DENIED!!

racer2c
02-11-04, 08:26 PM
Damn, there goes the neighborhood. :shakehead :(

fourrunner
02-11-04, 08:27 PM
Well pfc_m_Drake just posted in the CART forum at 7:21 PM and I'm still in and I log out each time just to check

Seventhgear.com has always been my entry though

Ankf00
02-11-04, 08:28 PM
teracorona says everything's working fine for her when I was speaking to her before I headed back to campus... go figure...

stupid electronic new fangled gizmo thingies with intarnet contraption stuff, I tell you what.

fourrunner
02-11-04, 08:28 PM
Try this

http://www.7thgear.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1

thats a direct link to forums

racer2c
02-11-04, 08:31 PM
Try this

http://www.7thgear.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1

thats a direct link to forums

I wish it wasn't true fourrunner, but it's gone. Now where did I put that lemming stick...

RichK
02-11-04, 08:31 PM
I was just there, too, fourrunner.

EDIT---> Okay, now it's going to crash.net for me too, but "www.seventhgear.com" still goes to the 7G home page.

G.
02-11-04, 08:36 PM
still nothing. Fourrunner's link doesn't help. I can get to the front page with seventhgear.com, then the links take me to a 505 error. Even if I fix the link to (again) replace 7thgear with seventhgear, the forums are still gone. To clarify, the front page links go to http://www.7thgear.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1

Then I replace "7thgear" with seventhgear, no luck either.

Racing Truth
02-11-04, 08:46 PM
still nothing. Fourrunner's link doesn't help. I can get to the front page with seventhgear.com, then the links take me to a 505 error. Even if I fix the link to (again) replace 7thgear with seventhgear, the forums are still gone. To clarify, the front page links go to http://www.7thgear.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1

Then I replace "7thgear" with seventhgear, no luck either.

Me too. Too bad if its gone. Oh well :(

racer2c
02-11-04, 08:55 PM
Wait! All is not lost my 7G Bedouins! It appears crash.net has a forum.

I'm sure all of you will find it warm and comfortable. :)

CART T. Katz
02-11-04, 09:11 PM
i have no idea where said forum is located. link please?

fourrunner
02-11-04, 09:12 PM
I must have some mojo or something

I still can get in AND Post ... However no one else can so what's the point

I was told about 6 weeks ago that Crash.net was "possibly" absorbing 7G and NO Forums... Looks as though my Trusty & Faithful confidant was right.

Too Bad for the 7G part.. but Crash.net never bothered me

Well WB one less site to occupy my mind, Do you have a spare room to rent? ;)

JT265
02-11-04, 09:24 PM
tomorrows headline to read.......

FOURUNNER MELTS 7G FORUMS!!!!!

<film at 11>

:D

devilmaster
02-11-04, 09:28 PM

you shoulda seen the way he devoured the prime rib. i ain't surprised. ;) :D

Steve

EDwardo
02-11-04, 09:28 PM
I visited 7G chatroom tonight. It seems that no one knows for sure whats happening. Anita was bemoaning the end of the only good forum. She characterized other forums as copies or "hate sites" (my words). She only implied this. Too bad that she isn't willing to admit that Laguna was a big reason behind 7G's success as a forum. WB, we love you man!

Carry on and keep up the good work!

Maybe you can even reclaim your handle eventually!!!!!!! :)

fourrunner
02-11-04, 09:42 PM

<film at 11>

EVERY TIME I wanted to post something obnoxious & obscene MY Self Edit would get in the way. Especially the last few month's!!

Maybe I should Post some really awful comment as my last hurrah ...

But it would be like screaming in the Forrest if no one could read it.

I have mixed emotions ... It was such an EASY target for my awful jokes!

fourrunner
02-11-04, 09:44 PM
you shoulda seen the way he devoured the prime rib. i ain't surprised. ;) :D

Steve

NOW you made me hungry ... You gotta get to Toronto this year!! :)

Tifosi24
02-11-04, 09:47 PM
This is certainly not a thread where I wanted to make my first post, but some times you do what you got to do. As I read through this thread I was struck with some of the negativity (sp?) showed by some of the posters. I realize that many of you aren't exactly friendly with people at 7thGear, and that is ok because that is how you feel. But let's face it, if today is in fact what it appears to be, why make shrewd and immature remarks. It is neither the time nor the place, it is like someone getting injured at a sporting game and cheering (sounds like Gopher hockey fans, but that is beside the point). Everyone is entitled to their opinions in life, but show some dignity and take the higher ground, and this makes me feel silly saying this because I am only 21. In closing, remember that the vast majority of people on both of these sites are fans of one thing, CART, Champ Car, or whatever you want to call; and it is best that we remember that. It is like different Christian sects fighting with each other.

devilmaster
02-11-04, 09:48 PM
NOW you made me hungry ... You gotta get to Toronto this year!! :)

I don't know if you saw it in the petition - thank you thread.... I am not planning to go to any race this year.

I'm working up a business plan and hope to start my own business, make millions, become a champcar team owner, etc.etc.etc. And while i'm at it, i'll sleep with Salma Hayek and Kirsten Dunst too ;)

but the business hope is true.
Steve

fourrunner
02-11-04, 09:56 PM
I don't know if you saw it in the petition - thank you thread.... I am not planning to go to any race this year.

I'm working up a business plan and hope to start my own business, make millions, become a champcar team owner, etc.etc.etc. And while i'm at it, i'll sleep with Salma Hayek and Kirsten Dunst too ;)

but the business hope is true.
Steve

LOL - I guess I'll eat your helping!! ;)

The New Business plan is great news ... And I know when I started My Business back in the early part of the century ;) I had to fucus ALL my Attention & Money to it's success.. It WORKED for me, so I totally understand where your at!

If you have time PM or E-Mail me and let me know what your doing in that regard

I Wish you all success in your venture!! :thumbup:

racer2c
02-11-04, 10:03 PM
This is certainly not a thread where I wanted to make my first post, but some times you do what you got to do. As I read through this thread I was struck with some of the negativity (sp?) showed by some of the posters. I realize that many of you aren't exactly friendly with people at 7thGear, and that is ok because that is how you feel. But let's face it, if today is in fact what it appears to be, why make shrewd and immature remarks. It is neither the time nor the place, it is like someone getting injured at a sporting game and cheering (sounds like Gopher hockey fans, but that is beside the point). Everyone is entitled to their opinions in life, but show some dignity and take the higher ground, and this makes me feel silly saying this because I am only 21. In closing, remember that the vast majority of people on both of these sites are fans of one thing, CART, Champ Car, or whatever you want to call; and it is best that we remember that. It is like different Christian sects fighting with each other.

Truth be told, I am the only one with any negativity toward 7Grade in this thread. And for the most part it is mostly tongue an cheek. Ironically, it would be foolish for me to hold any grudges toward that forum as WB banned me from there more times than I can remember and I never had any contact with the 'ladies'. So what did I do? I jumped, begged and pleaded to be a member of WB's own Off Camber forum. Why? Because I think I understand his beliefs on the topic at hand, that being Champ Cars and I agree with them. I also respect his moderating. I have never really engaged in dialog with WB and am not privy to his vision of OC. BUT, I have enjoyed the past year immensely. It's been like think tank for the hardest core Champ Car fans. It's not the busiest. It doesn't have the incessant cheer-leading. But what it does have, I'd hate to lose. There are some really fine Champ Car fans that stayed loyal to 7thBeer that would be great OC contributors, but there are quite a few left who would, let's just say, in my opinion change what I think is great about OC. But, this is WB's place and he knows what he wants and who he wants here and I respect that.

CART T. Katz
02-11-04, 10:03 PM
seventhgear.com now redirects to crash.net.

if this type of crap was going to happen, why didn't any of us know about it?

/bad day gone worse. long story not for here.

devilmaster
02-11-04, 10:04 PM
Oh - i can probably explain why some can still access the old page and some cannot.

I might not have all the info correct, but any other computer geeks (cam, wb) can correct me.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 10-Feb-2004.
Record expires on 28-Mar-2005.
Record created on 28-Mar-1999.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS.HOSTEUROPE.COM 212.67.202.2
NS2.HOSTEUROPE.COM 212.67.203.246

As you can see, the record of domain servers was changed on the 10 of feb, which was yesterday. When this info is changed it usually takes a maximum of two days for the domain servers info (the index of where the actual site is when you type www.7thgear.com) to cross the major root servers (i believe there are 15-20 in the world) that are in charge of indexing the .com domain names.

Odds are that the root server 4rnr is hitting hasn't changed yet, so he actually still hits the 7G site, while most everyone else is hitting the changed root servers.

Steve

RHR_Fan
02-11-04, 10:14 PM
Well that sorta sucks for me. I hadn't done much activity over there for a while so it's not like it's the end of the world.

Hey 4R! I use those pens you gave me. And where's my food?! :D

~Nicole

fourrunner
02-11-04, 10:15 PM
Well I can still get in and I started a NEW thread as a Goodbye to 7G

So the is / may be the last post on the site ... Too bad no one can see it! :(

posted 02-11-2004 09:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This CART/ OWRS Fan will certainly miss the great times I had on this site, and its Forums

All the Friends I made, and the great interaction I participated in.

I know I speak for many, that I will miss this once great site!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really liked 7G... I did not like what happened to it in the last 6 month's... A lot of us spent many good years talking the good talk and fighting the good fight for CART there

But things change and I'm so glad we have OC, Crapwagon, Paddocktalk, and other sites to continue this Fun!!

fourrunner
02-11-04, 10:19 PM
Well that sorta sucks for me. I hadn't done much activity over there for a while so it's not like it's the end of the world.

Hey 4R! I use those pens you gave me. And where's my food?! :D

~Nicole

Hey RHR NUT

Just start posting here more often, and it will be like old times!

If your going to Toronto I'll give you Devilmasters Prime Rib :D

But we'll have to eat it in his honor!! ;)

racer2c
02-11-04, 10:19 PM
Well I can still get in and I started a NEW thread as a Goodbye to 7G

So the is may be the last post on the site ... Too bad no one can see it!

posted 02-11-2004 09:05 PM
This CART/ OWRS Fan will certainly miss the great times I had on this site, and its Forums

All the Friends I made, and the great interaction I participated in.

I know I speak for many, that I will miss this once great site!!

I really liked 7G... I did not like what happened to it in the last 6 month's... A lot of us spent many good years talking the good talk and fighting the good fight for CART there

But things change and I'm so glad we have OC, Crapwagon, Paddocktalk, and other sites to continue this Fun!!

:thumbup:

JT265
02-11-04, 10:22 PM
Now I haveta watch out for a rabid fourrunner, fork in hand, blasting down Thunder Alley looking for a tenderloin.

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!! :D

Steve, PM me, you got my interest up large on your plans. JT

fourrunner
02-11-04, 10:27 PM
Now I haveta watch out for a rabid fourrunner, fork in hand, blasting down Thunder Alley looking for a tenderloin.

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!! :D

Steve, PM me, you got my interest up large on your plans. JT

LOL

But without a doubt you, me and that other dude will sit down and chow down while we're there... Its still Winter but I'm chomping at the bit for July!! :cool:

Turn7
02-11-04, 10:28 PM
I realize that many of you aren't exactly friendly with people at 7thGear, and that is ok because that is how you feel. But let's face it, if today is in fact what it appears to be, why make shrewd and immature remarks. It is neither the time nor the place, it is like someone getting injured at a sporting game and cheering

:rolleyes:

You're kidding I hope. Sorry if you feel so attached but, many here have been banned from that place. Therefore, I am not bothered by its demise in the least.

If 7G was what is was in the JP days with Irvine as a moderator or the early Tara/Laguna days, I would be right with you. However, it had turned in to a lemming haven that catered to the political rants of liberals and conservatives and posted 3 day old press releases.

That is nothing to miss.

JT265
02-11-04, 10:30 PM
Yep. July ain't coming soon enuff! I'll work on getting Steve to Toronto, hell, it's only one race right?

Besides, I can sneak him in anyway. :eek: :D

JT265
02-11-04, 10:31 PM
Turn 7, you nailed it spot on.

Audi_A4
02-11-04, 10:35 PM
:rolleyes:

You're kidding I hope. Sorry if you feel so attached but, many here have been banned from that place. Therefore, I am not bothered by its demise in the least.

If 7G was what is was in the JP days with Irvine as a moderator or the early Tara/Laguna days, I would be right with you. However, it had turned in to a lemming haven that catered to the political rants of liberals and conservatives and posted 3 day old press releases.

That is nothing to miss.

7G was awesome when IRVINE was the ed.

fourrunner
02-11-04, 10:37 PM
It's a deal JT!! :cool: :thumbup:

This is SICK.... I have the Run of 7G... can say whatever I want... NO Moderators... Can't be banned... What was that Movie with Harry Belafante where he was the only survivor of a Nuclear War. ;)

Audi_A4
02-11-04, 10:47 PM
It's a deal JT!! :cool: :thumbup:

This is SICK.... I have the Run of 7G... can say whatever I want... NO Moderators... Can't be banned... What was that Movie with Harry Belafante where he was the only survivor of a Nuclear War. ;)

hahaha

lone_groover
02-11-04, 10:50 PM
HA HA fourrunner!

That was The World, the Flesh and the Devil with Inger Stevens and Mel Ferrer. Good call!

Anywayz.....this was the original TV Guide synopsis of the movie: "A man, a woman, and a negro survive a nuclear holocaust."

Hope TV Guide has changed a bit. I haven't bought it since I got cable.

:saywhat:

RaceChic
02-11-04, 11:03 PM
WOW !!!! :eek:

Warlock!
02-12-04, 12:33 AM
So... who's gonna get their hard-cards?

High road my @zz...

Winter Warlock!

dando
02-12-04, 12:40 AM
Interestingly, 7G had just recently started approving new member registrations. Very odd.

-Kevin

MAXAR RE
02-12-04, 01:08 AM
Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. I never rewally liked it once JP sold out and Tara changed the design of the site. I always liked how he would post links to news stories on Champ Car stuff.

Looks like I have to stop lurking everywhere and start posting. :cool:

Brickman
02-12-04, 01:14 AM
Interestingly, 7G had just recently started approving new member registrations. Very odd.

-Kevin

I'm guessing Anita was left out of the loop.

New members were indeed being processed. Actually more like old members. ;)

Well... the torch has been passed. Kind of like when Carson exited Late Night Television.

Figures they would wait until I was out of town (daytona) to pull the plug. ;)

Bottom line. SeventhGear was the center of the CART universe, forces that they couldn't control led to the unraveling of CART and therefore their website... honest exchanges took place. It wasn't always pretty, sometimes it was uncaring and personal. But just as OWRS has the ability to breath new life into Champ Cars the same could have happened at 7G. They passed.

CART is dead and their assets sold off. Seventh Gear is dead and their assets sold off. A lot of good people who visited, shared, cared about their community will be looking for a place to call home. I can't think of a single member who was a regular contributor there who wouldn't be welcome anywhere.

The torch has been passed...

Hard Driver
02-12-04, 01:57 AM
I might not have all the info correct, but any other computer geeks (cam, wb) can correct me.

What you said basically. The root servers all update instantly. Your local ISP has their own DNS lookup servers. They cache the entries and only re-look them up from the root servers when they can't find someting or every day or two.

Fourrunner's local ISP has DNS servers that check infrequently. So until his local ISP DNS servers update and the IP address of seventhgear is still going to a server, he will still work.

But it's a goner.... Dum dum da dum.

And no goodbye :cry:

Well old friends, I haven't seen some of you lately. :thumbup:

I'll try to lay low on the politics turn 7 ;)

Hard Driver
02-12-04, 02:02 AM
P.S.
This isn't like Champcars and the IRL merging...were all on the same side. :cool:

You can say FTG over here....right :laugh:

Ankf00
02-12-04, 02:14 AM
to quote "rabbit" in Super Troopers:

Man, this sucks. I don't want to get transferred...

have to be a rookie again with a buncha weird new people.

baffle
02-12-04, 02:35 AM
wow. no more political rants, lawyer jokes, or beers with TB.... :cry:

pinniped
02-12-04, 02:59 AM
wow. no more political rants, lawyer jokes, or beers with TB.... :cry:

who says no more beers with tb? ;)

rocket
02-12-04, 03:26 AM
Really the problem is more with the management of the site, several years back it was the place to be. I've met many people from there, and here on OC and over at CW. Never really had a problem with a vast majority of the posters, but the people that ran that site had a bad handle on things and couldn't determine where a line needed to be drawn. Pull up a chair here and stay a while.

Oh and save the play nice lectures for when you have kids. ;)

Robstar
02-12-04, 03:41 AM
You can say FTG over here....right :laugh:

I was under the impression it was encouraged... ;) :cool:

chop456
02-12-04, 03:44 AM
OffCamber is a lot like what 7G was in '99-'00. Many of the same knowledgable posters keeping the topics in bounds, moderation in moderation, and sensible discussions without the idiocy and adversarial political b.s. All that without the false pretense of news reporting and the need to worry about whose toes are being stepped which could mean some Mitty-esque cub reporter's creds getting yanked.

Like rocket said, I appreciate it for what it was, and I made a lot of good friends, but when it's no longer enjoyable - I'm out.

Pamela DeBarres doesn't live here.

Rock on, OC. :thumbup:

Robstar
02-12-04, 03:46 AM
OffCamber is a lot like what 7G was in '99-'00. Many of the same knowledgable posters keeping the topics in bounds, moderation in moderation, and sensible discussions without the idiocy and adversarial political b.s. All that without the false pretense of news reporting and the need to worry about whose toes are being stepped which could mean some Mitty-esque cub reporter's creds might get yanked.

Pamela DeBarres doesn't live here.

Rock on, OC. :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

fourrunner
02-12-04, 03:54 AM
HA HA fourrunner!

That was The World, the Flesh and the Devil with Inger Stevens and Mel Ferrer. Good call!

Anywayz.....this was the original TV Guide synopsis of the movie: "A man, a woman, and a negro survive a nuclear holocaust."

Hope TV Guide has changed a bit. I haven't bought it since I got cable.

:saywhat:

That TV Guide synopsis was toooo funny! :rofl:

That's one of those movies that just sticks with you over time!

Kiwifan
02-12-04, 04:24 AM
chop456 wrote
All that without the false pretense of news reporting and the need to worry about whose toes are being stepped which could mean some Mitty-esque cub reporter's creds might get yanked.

And here's me taking it personally all these years! ;) Ah ha RFM, you just may have been right. ;)

Has anyone heard of Aaron Irvine of late? He emailed me last month but because I have my email set to High Spam he got lost, sorry mate. :(

Rusty.

Railbird
02-12-04, 06:10 AM
Damn, 2000 slices of wit and wisdom lost in cyberville.

Oh well, 7thGear was a great place a few years back, made a lot of friends and quite a few parties but it had gone into the tank of late.

I'm feeling pretty comfortable here at OC. The old line from Brooklands comes to mind:

"The right crowd, and no crowding"

mapguy
02-12-04, 06:33 AM
I guess the checks from Japan stopped. :D

As others have mentioned 7G was the C^RT site for years. Once Laguna left the place went down hill fast. Starting with all the political BS on the Off Topic forums. Then the lemmings and trolls (unfortunately one or two are here now.) were running amok there and the mods banned the C^RT supporters instead. Hell, they even banned PT's Mom!

I haven't posted on 7G in about a year and I don't miss that place one little bit.

cart7
02-12-04, 07:14 AM
I'm guessing the boss will be busy approving new members for awhile now. Well, there goes the neighborhood. :laugh:

Some of the stuff going on there the past year has been pretty pathetic considering the purpose of that site in the beginning. Sorry, but after 10 years of this war there's just no way to have a site that's directed at one side or the other and try and allow posters sympathetic to the other side to come over and state there views without having every other thread turn into endless pizzing matches.

This place is really comfortable, self-moderated for the most part and lemming-trolls are shown the door without the need for a countdown. WB keeps good tabs on the goings on and gently guides our sometimes misguided keyboard rants when necessary (though it rarily is necessary).

WickerBill
02-12-04, 07:21 AM
7G was a very rare site on the internet. For quite a while, it was one of only two dedicated CART sites in existance, and far and away the only one with an active forum. Therefore, it was (as was said earlier) the hub for all CART fans everywhere.

Then came the departure of Mark C from 7G and his startup of AR1, the inevitable fragmentation began, as it was, and is, with most sports sites. But for a small time, we were together, and I don't think it's overstating it to say that when 7G was not "friendly" to the IRL, that 7G was the glue that held CART fans together.

If you've been around awhile, you remember rushing to 7G after Greg's accident... after Zanardi's charge from the back... after "the cones" at Cleveland... after Andretti held off local boy Hogan's Castro-Neves... after Gonzo's accident.

While I've been accused in email since this thread started of helping to kill 7G, I hope people will remember that I brought life to the place too; I posted thousands of times as WickerBill, ran the photo page, moderated and upgraded the forums as Laguna.

This place will never be what 7G was. The fans are too few, and far too fragmented. Even if all of the current sites all folded into one new site, let's face it -- what made 7G amazing was that nobody had to contribute a dime. Nobody had to pay dues. Yet (in it's prime) it was ALWAYS up to date, always had fresh news, and always had legions of CART fans posting in the forums. If there were one site again, I highly doubt you would find someone with the love and resources necessary to fund and manage that kind of venture again.

So, in short, an era has passed; regardless of what you think of how it ended, or how it spent it's final days, 7G was mecca. Hail JP and Angel. What you started for us was golden.

WB

chop456
02-12-04, 07:41 AM
Well said.

There won't ever be "one" site again, but with a good percentage of the original 1000 members at OC now, much of the same friendship, knowledge and spirit of community exists, and will continue to exist right here. Much like the old days, I don't think anyone could have a negative thought about OC.

Whether you call it karma, reaping what you sow, or the chickens coming home to roost - it exists.

KLang
02-12-04, 07:43 AM
Well, most of us had already started posting here and other places. Seems pretty rude though to just shut the place down with no warning. Had a feeling this was on the way when all the previous posts were 'lost' the day of the bankruptcy hearing.

Cam
02-12-04, 07:56 AM
I only wish to remember it for what it was (http://web.archive.org/web/19990429155455/http://www.seventhgear.com/) not what is became. :(

Turn7
02-12-04, 08:35 AM
Hey WickerBill,

Why don't you use the old "Laguna" id around here? It would be sort of cool.

Hard Driver
02-12-04, 08:47 AM
...Seems pretty rude though to just shut the place down with no warning. Had a feeling this was on the way when all the previous posts were 'lost' the day of the bankruptcy hearing.

It was free and nobody owed me or others anything. But it does seem a little weak to just pull the plug like that without comment. :thumdown:

Although I guess the owners didn't want to put up a notice on the front page for a week and face a wrath of grief in the forums. I understand just skipping out the back door to avoid confrontation, but it still seems a little weak on the spine factor.

rosawendel
02-12-04, 08:58 AM
definately kindof a bummer... now, if i can only transfer that post count from there to here! my post count makes me look like a newbie! aaa!

Dirty Sanchez
02-12-04, 10:12 AM
somebody call a waaaaah-mbulance :cry:

Next! :laugh:

KLang
02-12-04, 10:19 AM
Crash.net is now popping up a window that says:

Welcome SeventhGear.com users, to provide a better and more extensive motorsports coverage SeventhGear.com/7thGear.com has joined the Crash.Net family of sites. We have several additional channels at Crash.Net and hope that you'll enjoy the site and our content.

We welcome all Seventhgear.com users to Crash.Net, our friends at Seventhgear have sent e-mails out to their registered users to advise of the takeover, if this has come as a surprise to you then we apologise.

Crash.Net is one of the busiest and most comprehensive motorsport destinations on the internet and we will strive to cover and report on all aspects of motorsport to the point of increasing our coverage of the US championships which you have come to expect at SeventhGear.com

Once again we welcome you all to Crash.Net and hope that you will remain loyal to the site as we have retained the services of the editorial team at SeventhGear. You'll therefore still be able to read and see the excellent written and photographic content generated by the guys at SeventhGear.com.

I didn't get any email. Anyone else? Pretty lame.

SteveH
02-12-04, 10:23 AM
Never got an email, however 7G might not have my most current email address either.

Just got on the forums there. This link still works for me
http://www.7thgear.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1&submit=Go

JT265
02-12-04, 10:25 AM
That TV Guide synopsis was toooo funny! :rofl:

That's one of those movies that just sticks with you over time!

Actually, as quoting L_G, it seems kinda small minded and offensive to me.

<that was a political rant for those that would miss them>

fourrunner
02-12-04, 10:34 AM
I never got an E-Mail either.... Although I had heard it was going to happen awhile ago... Considering how many people since yesterday who were caught totally by surprise about the shutdown of the forums, I assume that part of the transition didn't come off as planned.

BTW....Couldn't agree more Wickerbill! :thumbup:

fourrunner
02-12-04, 10:41 AM
Actually, as quoting L_G, it seems kinda small minded and offensive to me.

<that was a political rant for those that would miss them>

Well TV Guide is only 5 inches x 7 inches, so they have to think small... you pinko, politically correct, Canadian Foreign Boy.

Ok... It's out of my system now! ;);)

Chaos
02-12-04, 10:44 AM
but with a good percentage of the original 1000 members at OC now

...does this make me a sage on this site? :)

Mike Kellner
02-12-04, 10:50 AM
I know they don't have my current e-mail. Just as well, I lost my interest in racing fora almost two years ago. I just got tired of having the same six arguments with the same six people year in and year out. I had stopped back here and there, but I never returned to any forum with the vigour that I used to have.

I guess 7Gs passing marks an end to an era. I am glad I was there when it happened, I had a great time, met some great people. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

I'll see ya all around from time to time.

mk - cz** CSSBBS HOF

»ò

÷÷÷<

Boycott Indy. Save Racing From Tony. Do It For The Children.

Wheel-Nut
02-12-04, 10:50 AM
Anyone have a link to the OC banned list?

Fitti Fan
02-12-04, 10:51 AM
If you've been around awhile, you remember rushing to 7G after Greg's accident... after Zanardi's charge from the back... after "the cones" at Cleveland... after Andretti held off local boy Hogan's Castro-Neves... after Gonzo's accident.

While I've been accused in email since this thread started of helping to kill 7G, I hope people will remember that I brought life to the place too; I posted thousands of times as WickerBill, ran the photo page, moderated and upgraded the forums as Laguna.
WB

These are the memories I have of Seventh Gear. Through difficult times and hilarious times, we came together as CART fans. BMEP and I were practically "courting" through the whole cone ordeal and to this day we make comments whenever we pass those little guys. I've met a lot of really cool people and made some real friends because of those chats and that place.

As I can be somewhat superstitious, I have to admit it's kind of scary that only a couple days after I let people know of BMEP's and my engagement, that the place closes down. Afterall, it was because of Seventh Gear and most especially Wicker Bill, that Rob and I met in the first place. The positive spin will HAVE to be that this is just a new beginning.

Insomniac
02-12-04, 11:05 AM
Looks like this is my new home. Anyone have the old IP address for 7G? That may be a way to still get there.

JT265
02-12-04, 11:07 AM
Well TV Guide is only 5 inches x 7 inches, so they have to think small... you pinko, politically correct, Canadian Foreign Boy.

Ok... It's out of my system now! ;);)

Better RED than DEAD!!!!! :rofl:

whew!!!! That's enuff politics for the month for me. ;)

Ed_Severson
02-12-04, 11:10 AM
Seventh Gear is done, eh?

Good riddance.

That place was great, before certain leadership, for lack of a better word, ran it into the ground.

Brickman
02-12-04, 11:19 AM
While I've been accused in email since this thread started of helping to kill 7G...

That's just plain silly. On any given day threads here at OC could go eight hours without contribution. OC became a safe harbor, pleasent, easy going, nothing going on would undermine 7G.

Although members left 7G for various reasons, some blaming Lemmings, others because they were banned because they couldn't have a grown up discussion without a personal attack. I never heard of anyone who was treated unfair by management, many were given second chances.

One simply couldn't expect a healthy, forum chock full of good news when there simply wasn't any... that's what put the hurt on more than any other factor. Sure there we other factors, untimely illnesses, untrained moderators who couldn't process new applicants and Tara explained to many how 9/11 derailed many plans and potential sponsors.

Off to the Magic Kingdom, have a great day.

fourrunner
02-12-04, 11:23 AM
Racermike & Myself were the last men standing in the 7G Forums early, early this morning. We could still access the site. I signed off about 2:30 AM with a Final Goodbye thread.

I can no longer access the site!

Hard Driver
02-12-04, 11:25 AM
Looks like this is my new home. Anyone have the old IP address for 7G? That may be a way to still get there.

I still had an old bookmark of an IP address back from when 7G was having DNS issues a year or two ago. Couldn't get to the site via the IP address bookmark. So I think their server has been taken off line.

Well if WickerBill wants to give some of us shelter, It could be nice to hang around. I guess I'll have to do my political ranting over at USPoliticsonline.com or Whistlestopper.com. Seems like both here and crapwagon, the political threads at 7G have been mentioned as a bad thing. I personally think they were in the off forum..and if you wanted to skip the political ones, it was not too hard. But you have to abide by the rules of the house.

fourrunner
02-12-04, 11:42 AM
I still had an old bookmark of an IP address back from when 7G was having DNS issues a year or two ago. Couldn't get to the site via the IP address bookmark. So I think there server has been taken off line.

Well if WickerBill wants to give some us us shelter, It could be nice to hang around. I guess I'll have to do my political ranting over at USPoliticsonline.com or Whistlestopper.com. Seems like both here and crapwagon, the political threads at 7G have been mentioned as a bad thing. I personally think they were in the off forum..and if you wanted to skip the political ones, it was not too hard. But you have to abide by the rules of the house.

The Off Forum political threads had little to do with 7G's downfall... You had to WANT to read them to read them. I just had fun with the threads. I replied with lighthearted sarcasm or bad jokes. The CART forum, F1 forum, and Other Racing forum had nothing to do with Political threads in off forum.

Many little things hurt 7G ... "A Million Razor Cuts" but in the end the person that was paying to keep up the site wanted to stop doing that, and Crash.net took it over... Case closed.

I admire anyone like Wickerbill who starts and maintains a site for us fans to participate for in for free. The transition will be easier because of sites like this being in place.