PDA

View Full Version : IRL changing their point system

Wheel-Nut
02-10-04, 06:16 PM
Each car finishing from 19th to 24th place will receive 12 points, while each car finishing 25th through 33rd will receive 10 points. Previously, a car finishing 19th would receive 11 points, with each successive position receiving one less point. Drivers finishing 29th or lower each earned a single point.

Do they really have to worry about positions 19 thru . . . . . . ?

rabbit
02-10-04, 07:45 PM
Foreign drivers.
Foreign manufacturers.
Engine leases.
Road courses.
Change points system.
etc.

Monkey see. Monkey do.

Don Quixote
02-10-04, 07:59 PM
All I have to say is: :laugh:

pchall
02-10-04, 08:46 PM
Each car finishing from 19th to 24th place will receive 12 points, while each car finishing 25th through 33rd will receive 10 points. Previously, a car finishing 19th would receive 11 points, with each successive position receiving one less point. Drivers finishing 29th or lower each earned a single point.

Do they really have to worry about positions 19 thru . . . . . . ?

Gosh. The clock/calendar on my computer says its not April 1st. What gives?

Chaos
02-10-04, 09:15 PM
to be honest, i never took the time to figure out their previous one...

DaveL
02-10-04, 10:12 PM
What, no bonus points for broken bones?

nz_climber
02-10-04, 10:44 PM
3 points for every foot off the ground(vertical air) and 1 point for every foot not touching the ground (horizontal air)

now thats a real points system

:gomer:

o yeah and 10 points extra if you do this going backwards :shakehead

RTKar
02-10-04, 10:46 PM
The irl's point system........racings version of "Survivor"

JoeBob
02-10-04, 11:29 PM

Its actually a penalty for broken bones! Missing a race wasn't a big penalty previously. It is now.

RobGuru
02-11-04, 01:58 PM

Actually, the press release said that the new points system will make the racing safer. Funny, I thought it was the propensity of the cars to launch themselves into the catch fencing that made them dangerous - not the points system. That'll learn me... duh! :gomer:

Joe in LA
02-11-04, 02:31 PM
It makes it "safer" because there is no incentive for the backmarkers to race each other--that is the rationale. Ridiculous. If the backmarkers can't race each other safely for 22nd place, they shouldn't be licensed to compete, and if the concern is damaged equipment being run around at the back, the flag man has a blackflag available to park'em. Personally, if I'm at a race, I'd like to see all of the cars fighting to move up, regardless of where they are, not holding station in 22nd because 21st doesn't garner more points.

rabbit
02-11-04, 04:01 PM
How many points for nailing the dismount?

pchall
02-11-04, 05:36 PM
How many points for nailing the dismount?

OMG! 10.0 for staying on target with DNF...

fourrunner
02-11-04, 06:53 PM
ATTENTION>>>THIS JUST IN >>>The Point system has been further clarified by IMS

Each car finishing from 19th to 24th place will receive 12 points, while each car finishing 25th through 33rd will receive 10 points. Of course this point system will be reworked throughout the season on a race to race basis to reflect Sponsor needs for promotion, and to assure that an "acceptable" driver wins the Championship to assist in the survival of the series.Also the Indy 500 Winner will be determined, and T&S, and Video adjusted in the last 5 laps of the race. As is currently done.

For example: Although Tony Stewart will not participate in the Series this year, he COULD actually win the 2004 Championship if he agrees to participate in 2005.

nz_climber
02-11-04, 07:54 PM
ATTENTION>>>THIS JUST IN >>>The Point system has been further clarified by IMS

For example: Although Tony Stewart will not participate in the Series this year, he COULD actually win the 2004 Championship if he agrees to participate in 2005.

:rofl:
Its all about marketing, now they can claim a world record - the worst point system ever!

Racing Truth
02-13-04, 02:14 PM
Its actually a penalty for broken bones! Missing a race wasn't a big penalty previously. It is now.

That's a good point. H=ll, GDF almost won the damn thing last year after being punted in Phoenix, and as a result, missing Motegi.

Still too NASCARish for my tastes, but, surprisingly, they didn't consult with me. ;)