PDA

View Full Version : Vasser shopping?

Railbird
02-08-04, 07:26 AM
I've been told Yimmy has found some backing and is shopping it around.

Anybody else heard anything?

even though he's getting a little long in the tooth I would still like to see him in the series.

pchall
02-08-04, 10:42 AM
...even though he's getting a little long in the tooth I would still like to see him in the series.

The way he hustled that Reynard around at Mid-Ohio last August showed me he still some fine racing left in him. I hope it is true that he's developed sponsorship over the winter and can run in champcars again. In the best of all possible worlds he'd team with A. J. Allmendinger in a second car at RuSport.

Spicoli
02-08-04, 10:48 AM
I've heard he found some money last summer, but where he goes with it is a mystery.

I had heard he was interested and talking to Patrick & Walker, but evidently that's not working out now is it? :saywhat:

Jimmy needs to be part of this series.

JT265
02-08-04, 10:56 AM
Yes he does.

<need to be part of the series I mean>

RTKar
02-08-04, 10:57 AM
The series needs him, he's a good spokesman, a link to the past and he can still win. He's got the right attitude and would be a wonderful mentor to someone like 'Dinger.

Racing Truth
02-11-04, 08:50 PM
Hope so. Methinks if he has sponsorship (read $$$), then Walker could be an option. Patrick is done, but another thought could be a 2nd Rocketsports car, if RHR goes to Herdez.

dreamracer
02-12-04, 02:47 AM
I hope Jimmy gets a ride... he's one of the mainstays. It's hard to beleive that he's "getting long in the tooth". I remember being there for his first "almost win" in Portland in 95, when he was awarded his very first CART race win (when Penske was DQ'd in tech.). Too bad he got it taken away later on appeal...

That seems like yesterday....

Go Jeeemy...

Steve99
02-12-04, 04:44 PM
It would be nice to see him go to Rocketsports in a second car. That would probably be a better team than Walker or RuSport's first season of ChampCar.

Racing Truth
02-12-04, 05:35 PM
It would be nice to see him go to Rocketsports in a second car. That would probably be a better team than Walker or RuSport's first season of ChampCar.

:thumbup: Agreed. Although, a Vasser-Allmendinger combination would be interesting. Problem is Jimmy would be nothing more than a mentor. AJ would be the focus, IMHO.

rabbit
02-12-04, 05:37 PM
Jimmy deserves a No. 1 seat. I think he got tired of playing Joe Tanto last year.

Racing Truth
02-12-04, 05:41 PM
Jimmy deserves a No. 1 seat. I think he got tired of playing Joe Tanto last year.

Yep. Although getting a #1 seat could prove difficult at this point. Which is too bad b/c he does indeed deserve it.

datachicane
02-12-04, 05:47 PM
I hope Jimmy gets a ride... he's one of the mainstays. It's hard to beleive that he's "getting long in the tooth". I remember being there for his first "almost win" in Portland in 95, when he was awarded his very first CART race win (when Penske was DQ'd in tech.). Too bad he got it taken away later on appeal...

That seems like yesterday....

Go Jeeemy...

Yep- I was sitting up on the East bank when something that looked exactly like a pizza box flew out from under Al Jr.'s car.

Guess that would make a great trivia question- what do Mario and Jeemy have in common? :D

Lizzerd
02-12-04, 07:28 PM
Yep- I was sitting up on the East bank when something that looked exactly like a pizza box flew out from under Al Jr.'s car.

Guess that would make a great trivia question- what do Mario and Jeemy have in common? :D

Screwed out of a victory by a Pimpske lawyer.

Joe in LA
02-12-04, 09:29 PM
Screwed out of a victory by a Pimpske lawyer.

And an Unser in a Penske in both cases. (Although I don't necessarily agree that either really got "screwed".)

RacinM3
02-13-04, 01:03 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/cart/news?slug=ap-vasser-champcar&prov=ap&type=lgns

datachicane
02-13-04, 12:51 PM
And an Unser in a Penske in both cases. (Although I don't necessarily agree that either really got "screwed".)

I'd tend to agree that Jeemy didn't get screwed, but Mario? C'mon, how many cars should you be able to pass under yellow? Not that the USAC brain trust would do anything questionable for political purposes- just ask PT.
:rolleyes:

Racing Truth
02-13-04, 02:23 PM
Well, I wasn't thinking PK, but that'll work. :thumbup: :cool:

Joe in LA
02-13-04, 04:38 PM
I'd tend to agree that Jeemy didn't get screwed, but Mario? C'mon, how many cars should you be able to pass under yellow? Not that the USAC brain trust would do anything questionable for political purposes- just ask PT.
:rolleyes:

I'll admit I'm somewhat biased. I think Mario is a great driver, but I was never a Mario fan. USAC screwed things up habitually. The reason I don't think Mario got "screwed" is I don't think he would have necessarily won if Bobby hadn't passed those cars. Did USAC blow the call--sure (although Mario might have gotten tagged for the same offense), but would Mario have beaten Bobby on the track--not so sure. IMHO, this one was quite different than the PT situation. I don't see Penske and Bobby as having been favorites of USAC at the time.

dreamracer
02-13-04, 05:20 PM

No doubt! My first thought was, "What the hell was that?" Why is there a big peice of cardboard on the track?" :saywhat:

Then it slowly dawned on me that the jabrock must've fallen off. Little Al was smoking down the straights for a multitude of laps before the thing finally banged right off. Still, I guess he deserved it (the win) after setting up Villenueve so well for that pass into the festival earlier. Boy, that was way back when Little Al belonged in a Champcar. He still had "it" back then. (The Penske didn't hurt either, though) It's been nearly a decade.

Ziggy
02-13-04, 05:55 PM
Something to think about. For many fans, this was the start of the downfall of Champcar Racing. The bungled finish of the 1981 Indy 500, which ended with a victory for Bobby Unser in a court room.

My personal thoughts, Unser was waved around by a couple of guys (one that I know of) and decided, "what the hell, might as well go around all these wankers". Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Andretti knew he was making inroads into Mr Unsers lead. Mario was waved around by the same guy (guys) that Unser went around.

I think Uncle Bobby had the better car that day. Mario will say different. Its his right to say different. He WAS driving it! Who knows what would have happened.

Rules are rules, and even some of us Hoosiers can figure that one out.

and your correct, it has nothing in common with the Paul Tracy/ -Neves deal

Ziggy

Railbird
02-18-04, 06:39 AM
Vasser update (http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=3&nid=85647)

PKR with some old Patrick crew.

not bad, not bad at all

jdcooper
02-18-04, 11:39 AM
YES !

Vasser is a class act both in the car and out. A "reborn" series like CC absolutely needs his presence to cement it's credibility. As Schumacher has been the "face" of F1 for the past few years, so Jeemy has been the face for CART (CC, whatever). While PT has won more races recently (and he's certainly a character), he's not exactly the image many sponsors want to align themselves with. Can you remember a race in the last two seasons where the networks DIDN'T go to him for his comments, regardless of his finishing position ? Yes they speak to the podium guys, but always work their way around to Mr Vasser.

Welcome home Jeemy.

CARTNUT
02-18-04, 04:14 PM
:thumbup: :D GO JEEMY!!! :cool:

Great news!

(Almost as great as the FittiFan+BMEP engagement!)

'NUT :gomer:

cartgal
02-18-04, 05:56 PM
ahhhhhh. Schweeeeeet news!!!! I can sleep peacefully again. And begin to make plans to go to a race, 'cause my guy's gonna be there. :gomer: (I'm such a goob when it comes to JV, but, hey! a girl's got her priorities!) :laugh:

Go JV!!! :thumbup: :cool:

Railbird
02-20-04, 12:51 PM
Rumor has Vaser's sponsorship giving him part ownwership of Kalkhoven's team.

Pollock is evidently out.

Details to follow hopefully

bigdcart
02-20-04, 01:23 PM
JV will end up at Kalkoven Racing.

pchall
02-20-04, 01:31 PM
Rumor has Vaser's sponsorship giving him part ownwership of Kalkhoven's team.

Pollock is evidently out.

Details to follow hopefully

Interesting. It makes me wonder just what exactly Pollack was there for last year? Was he only Villeneuve bait?

RTKar
02-20-04, 02:11 PM
Interesting. It makes me wonder just what exactly Pollack was there for last year? Was he only Villeneuve bait?

Other than being Jacques buddy, I could never understand what Pollock was about anyway...he helped botch Jacques career, he botched things at BAR..What exactly does the guy bring to the table?

dreamracer
02-20-04, 02:12 PM
Other than being Jacques buddy, I could never understand what Pollock was about anyway...he helped botch Jacques career, he botched things at BAR..What exactly does the guy bring to the table?

Kevin Kalkhoven, for one.

TravelGal
02-20-04, 10:36 PM
HOOOORAY! Now THIS is rumor that makes sense! :thumbup:

ferrarigod
02-20-04, 10:51 PM

Well, he's a really good ski instructor

Railbird
02-20-04, 11:56 PM
Word has it that Kalkhoven just quit taking CP's calls.

In Pollock's defense he did manage to use Jacques skills to leverage himself from school teacher/ski bum to a main player in one of the richest roll outs in F1 history.

Pissed it away, but just the fact that he was involved gives him credentails in some circles.

A Flavio wannabe IMO

Ziggy
02-21-04, 12:28 AM
Dang 'bird, 901 posts already! Best of luck to you and your family tomorrow

Ziggy

Railbird
02-21-04, 10:04 AM
Dang 'bird, 901 posts already! Best of luck to you and your family tomorrow

901?

damm, time/posts fly when you're havin fun.

Sorry about the no-show Thursday Zig, the festivity frieght train over-ran me. The rehearsal dinner went very well last night. Stop on by around 7ish tonight and get the rare chance to see my old skinny ass in a tux.

btw, glad to hear Inky found the way home