PDA

View Full Version : Bourdais has big crash

rabbit
01-27-03, 06:13 PM
According to AR1...

Bourdais destroys Newman Haas Lola AR1 sources tell us Sebastien Bourdais has just had a big crash at Laguna Seca and totaled one of the Newman Haas Lolas. No word on the condition of the driver, but we think he is OK. The team stayed on to test (as did Herdez) after the CART open test this weekend. I hope he's not hurt.

JoeBob
01-27-03, 06:16 PM
I hope he's okay too. Among other things, AR1 is notoriously loose with their injury reports. How can you assume that somebody is okay, without any word on their condition? (Or is he operating on the assumption that his "source" would have mentioned it if he was injured.)

rabbit
01-27-03, 06:18 PM
That's what I was thinking JoeBob. Wasn't a year or so ago that they reported a driver was killed, then retracted that only to have to re-report him as dead after they got their facts straight? I like MarkC's site, but you have to take EVERYTHING he says with a grain of salt.

RaceGrrl
01-27-03, 06:31 PM
You know, even the internet isn't fast enough when you're waiting on news in a situation like this. :(

JoeBob
01-27-03, 06:32 PM
IIRC, it was an Australian karter who he reported as dead, then alive, then dead again. He also published a rumor that Davey Hamilton had lost "at least one of his feet."

JoeBob
01-27-03, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
You know, even the internet isn't fast enough when you're waiting on news in a situation like this. :(

I agree, but I doubt we'll hear anything soon. I doubt there's much in the way of "real media" at the track, so we'll probably have to wait for a NH press release.

Most likely, somebody at the track with a cell phone who occasionally communicates with MarkC called him and said, "Dude! Bourdais just wrecked big time!"

Given the writer's history of overblown stories, it is entirely possible that the above 6 words are all he has. If the news is bad, we'd hear sooner than if the story is much ado about nothing.

JSR
01-27-03, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl

I agree.

Paddockrat
01-27-03, 07:43 PM
He went off in Turn 10 at the bottom of the hill. Turn 10 is approximately a 115-120 MPH corner. He is ok and did not go in for a check up. NH packed up after the crash and left. I was not able to verify the condition of the car. Welcome to CART!

rabbit
01-27-03, 07:51 PM
You heard it here first! Thanks Paddockrat!

Turn 10, that's the right hander before pit in, no? Didn't Patreek go off there last year.

JSR
01-27-03, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
You heard it here first! Thanks Paddockrat!

Not quite, but almost. :)

rabbit
01-27-03, 08:14 PM
I was referring to the details of the crash, but...

BTW, just minutes after after Paddockrat posted this
He went off in Turn 10 at the bottom of the hill. Turn 10 is approximately a 115-120 MPH corner. He is ok and did not go in for a check up. NH packed up after the crash and left. I was not able to verify the condition of the car. MarkC had this up
AR1 has learned that Bourdais is OK, and it has not been determined yet whether the car is a write-off. He went off at Turn 10, a 115+ MPH turn.
Hmmm, looks like we have a visitor.;)

RacinM3
01-27-03, 08:23 PM
I can't think of a better place to go off at Laguna than 10. 2 would be my second choice. Anywhere else there can be extremely nasty. 2 and 10 have decent runoff and deep tire walls.

pchall
01-27-03, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by rabbit

Hmmm, looks like we have a visitor.;)

Is that any way to run a news & rumors site? :p

owfan
01-28-03, 08:15 PM
NH report says a minor crash ended his day. You do know that Paul Tracy reads AR1 every morning, I heard him say it in Toronto, so it must be okay.