13th – 8
14th – 7
15th – 6
16th – 5
17th – 4
18th – 3
19th – 2
20th – 1

WHile I don't think there was anything terribly wrong with the old points system, I see their rational, unlike in F1 or NASCAR, and they have at least retained the integrity of the points spread. But, it is going to promote the possibility of NASCAR & IRL style rolling wrecks hunting small change points.

rabbit
02-05-04, 06:27 PM
In addition, one point will be awarded to a driver for leading one or more laps in a race, :thumdown: another point will be given to the driver that runs the fastest lap of the race :thumbup: and one point will be awarded to the driver that improves the most number of positions from their place on the starting grid :thumbup:. There will no longer be a point given to the driver that leads the most laps in a race. :thumdown:

As has been the case for the last two seasons, one championship point will be awarded to the leaders of the Friday and Saturday qualifying sessions on road and street courses, while one point will be available for the qualifying leader on oval courses. Overall, it doesn't sound bad. At least it's not a playoff. Anybody out there have the time to figure up if any of the recent championships would have been altered by it? Perhaps Montoya/Franchitti in '99?

Hot Rod Otis
02-05-04, 06:47 PM
There was nothing wrong with the old system.

JoeBob
02-05-04, 07:03 PM
If I'd change anything, I'd change the system to give points to fewer cars.

12 cars scoring points worked nicely for 28 regulars. For 19 cars, I'd award points to 8.

The thought of cars limping around the track for points at a street circuit really scares me. They better give the chief steward an awful lot of leeway in telling somebody to get the heck off the track.

Warlock!
02-05-04, 07:52 PM
This blows goats.

Winter Warlock!

RTKar
02-05-04, 08:08 PM
Off the top of my head, I would think the early part of the year guys will be going all out but as the season progresses the guys in contention will be circling just to score enough points without charging to the front....gotta' think about this some more.....

dirtyboy
02-05-04, 08:23 PM
Having a points system like this is stupid. IMO you should give out AS LITTLE points as possible. This make points must more valuable. Hell there is only going to be 18 cars on the grid. Why give out points to 20 positions? So I can buy a car, crash in the first turn and still get points? Stupid.

Ankf00
02-05-04, 10:12 PM
this is so ridiculous, :shakehead:

jonovision_man
02-05-04, 10:34 PM
unlike in F1 or NASCAR, and they have at least retained the integrity of the points spread.

Where? 31 for 1st, 27 for 2nd? :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

What's the motivation to really push for that win?

I hate it. CART used to have one of the best point systems out there.

jono

IlliniRacer
02-05-04, 10:39 PM
Points to the top ten cars.

Car must be running to obtain points

Bonus points for: Fastest lap, most laps led, greatest start/finish improvement, P1 on Friday and Saturday qualifing.

CART T. Katz
02-05-04, 10:48 PM
Where? 31 for 1st, 27 for 2nd? :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

What's the motivation to really push for that win?

I hate it. CART used to have one of the best point systems out there.

jono

you have it wrong. officially it's 31 for 1st but technically its 32 for 1st (31 + 1 for leading a lap).
but you are right. this new system blows.

cart7
02-05-04, 11:06 PM
:thumbup: This'll be great. Now we'll have cars circling the track without wings, body pieces and misaligned suspensions parts in order to collect those valuable points that now pay down to 20 places.

I could see paying down to 12th, MAYBE. But 20 places is too far. :shakehead

Railbird
02-05-04, 11:08 PM
I have no idea why they did this.

Not knocking this deal, but with all that needs to be done why mess with the freakin points structur?e

Turn7
02-05-04, 11:26 PM
'bird,

I can only hope that the three amigos have more put together than we could of ever imagined and it is all waiting for the 12th to be announced.

A new points system is something that is independent of any contractual obligation, or ownership issue that can be announced before everything is official closed and it keeps the news-train chugging in the interim.

If that isn't the case, then there needs to be a priority check and refocus on issues that are more pending.

chop456
02-05-04, 11:50 PM
Just stupid.

lone_groover
02-06-04, 12:00 AM
I don't know. Looks a little too 'NECKCAR for my taste. But what do I know? Lots of internet sexperts seem to like it.

Guess I'm feeling a little conflicted. Have to talk it over with my Life Coach.

:confused:

devilmaster
02-06-04, 12:17 AM
Reading between the lines.....

Does this mean that there will be at least 20 cars every race?

Steve

Robstar
02-06-04, 12:50 AM
This blows goats.

Winter Warlock!

Yup, same as... :thumdown: :thumdown:

Lizzerd
02-06-04, 01:32 AM
Stupid, stupid, stupid...

DON'T try to fix what isn't broken!!

Yikes...

Don Quixote
02-06-04, 10:42 AM
What could they have been thinking? :confused:

Dirty Sanchez
02-06-04, 10:46 AM
:saywhat:

Its difficult to describe the level of suckage of this new points system. For those not keeping score at home... since OWRS took over...

good moves 0
bad moves 1

Chaos
02-06-04, 11:11 AM
:thumdown:

Andrew Longman
02-06-04, 11:13 AM
I hope they are listening and not too proud to change their minds. The rejection is pretty universal.

racer2c
02-06-04, 11:14 AM
I predict it won't last two seasons. I think they are trying to reward the mid-packers so that it doesn't leave just a two or three team battle with six races to go.

JLMannin
02-06-04, 12:45 PM
I predict it won't last two seasons. I think they are trying to reward the mid-packers so that it doesn't leave just a two or three team battle with six races to go.

The old point system more or less handed the championship to the driver with the most wins. I don't have a problem for this, a premium should be applied to winning races. This new point system will likely hand the championship to the driver with the fewest DNF's. I have not plugged the numbers yet, but I suspect that using this point system, Jourdain would have won the championship last year. I have the "mother of all spreadsheets" for the last several PPG/FedEx/Champcar championshps that I can modify to see how this would paly out on past data. For the last two years, I have been tracking position improvement as well, so I will be able to include that.

I don't like this new points system.

pchall
02-06-04, 01:16 PM
There was nothing wrong with the old system.

I agree. 20 pts. for the win has been the points system for all the US and Canadian road racing I've cared about since the days of the Can Am. It has worked well even with CART's little bit of tinkering over the years.

Joe in LA
02-06-04, 02:26 PM
The points definitely go too deep. I've always like the F1 points because winning brings a big premium. The previous CART systems was fine.

Ankf00
02-06-04, 04:10 PM
:saywhat:

Its difficult to describe the level of suckage of this new points system. For those not keeping score at home... since OWRS took over...

good moves 0
bad moves 1

Bad moves 2, the first was opening a chance for the wanker supreme to bid to take the sport from us

CART's system was always great b/c midpack drivers would receive some reward. Albeit nominal yet it still differentiated effort and indifference. However the points differential between the top positions was simliar to F1 in that it still rewarded charging to the checkered. Personally I think pole and most laps led deserves more than 12th place and now 20th place. It's a hell of a lot harder to get pole and charge hard enough to lead most of the race than it is to tool around the track and collect last place points. :shakehead , oh well.

Steve99
02-06-04, 04:16 PM
Bad moves 2, the first was opening a chance for the wanker supreme to bid to take the sport from us

CART's system was always great b/c midpack drivers would receive some reward. Albeit nominal yet it still differentiated effort and indifference. However the points differential between the top positions was simliar to F1 in that it still rewarded charging to the checkered. Personally I think pole and most laps led deserves more than 12th place and now 20th place. It's a hell of a lot harder to get pole and charge hard enough to lead most of the race than it is to tool around the track and collect last place points. :shakehead , oh well.

good moves 2

Laguna Seca :thumbup:
Road America :thumbup:

manic mechanic
02-06-04, 09:56 PM
" In addition, one point will be awarded to a driver for leading one or more laps in a race":
I like the lap leader points, as long as it's a lap under GREEN. No "staying out" when everyone else hits pit road.

"another point will be given to the driver that runs the fastest lap of the race and one point will be awarded to the driver that improves the most number of positions from their place on the starting grid".

I like these too. Many is the time we have seen a great drive from a poor quaifying position. I have always thought that a guy who starts 15th and makes it to the podium with a stellar drive was worthy of more than just the points for position.

"As has been the case for the last two seasons, one championship point will be awarded to the leaders of the Friday and Saturday qualifying sessions on road and street courses, while one point will be available for the qualifying leader on oval courses".

Same 'ol, same 'ol...no objections.

I am also in agreement with most of you in as much as they have stretched the points too low on the grid. The points awarded 1-5 are OK, but I would say 6th should bew 10 points, and 11th 1 point. 12th on back...SEE YA!

HOWEVER: This points system smacks of trying to attract new teams and sponsors by (desperately) saying: Hey, your team could be "in the hunt" down to the last race of the season.

If that's what it takes to stabilize/grow the series, I'll take it. :gomer:

manic

FTG
02-07-04, 08:28 AM
I like the idea of encouraging back markers to pass.

And points aren't awarded too deep if we have a 30 car field. Maybe we'll see 6 new 2 car teams announced soon. ;)