PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the IRL497.5 might not have 33 cars this year.

Hot Rod Otis
01-31-04, 11:12 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/116502-5703-037.html

Last year the usual suspects said it was no big deal that there was no bumping on "bump day". Some went as far to say that "bump day" was nothing more than a day for wankers, (Lemming51 on 7G). Wonder what lame@ss BS they'll come up with this year if the field ain't full? :gomer: :shakehead

RTKar
01-31-04, 11:25 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/116502-5703-037.html

Last year the usual suspects said it was no big deal that there was no bumping on "bump day". Some went as far to say that "bump day" was nothing more than a day for wankers, (Lemming51 on 7G). Wonder what lame@ss BS they'll come up with this year if the field ain't full? :gomer: :shakehead

I miss the real Bump Day....wouldn't it be sweet if the OWRS teams with irl engines decided not to use them come Memorial Day?

fourrunner
01-31-04, 12:45 PM
He was absolutely right .... Bump day is a day for the wankers... and in reality most of the IRL regulars are wankers...

Of course it didn't used to be like that... I remember folks like Rahal, Penske, Johncock, Rutherford being on "the Bubble" in particular years.

By saying the day is for wankers just confirms their deep down feeling that The Indy 500 of today is hust a pile of steaming stinky poo! A most deserved reputation given it's leadership.

When ABC's Contract is up, and no one else wants it because of the money losing IRL attachment, I'm seeing ABC getting a Bargain Rate to televise it!

Of course it could go to Telemundo also! and they'll say THAT was the goal all along !;)

SteveH
01-31-04, 01:31 PM
Considering that TG most likely knew the status of engine supply before Wednesday's court appearance, his attempt at 'unification' really would not only have put ChampCar out of business but also would have left any current ChampCar team unable to compete until after the 500.

Too bad the judge didn't ask him to provide prrof that the ChampCar teams could have competed in the irl.

ChrisB
01-31-04, 04:33 PM
From the article:

The shortage stems from the IRL's switch to a new power-reducing 3.0-liter engine in midseason. The manufacturers have a limited number of the current 3.5-liter engines, and they aren't building more because they are focused on the 3.0, which becomes legal at the 500.

I still don't understand why the IRL switched to 3.0L engines to slow the cars, instead of just keeping the 3.5L and lowering the rev limiter. Anyone know?

Racewriter
01-31-04, 08:29 PM
From the article:

The shortage stems from the IRL's switch to a new power-reducing 3.0-liter engine in midseason. The manufacturers have a limited number of the current 3.5-liter engines, and they aren't building more because they are focused on the 3.0, which becomes legal at the 500.

I still don't understand why the IRL switched to 3.0L engines to slow the cars, instead of just keeping the 3.5L and lowering the rev limiter. Anyone know?

Because the management of the series simply isn't very smart. That's as simple as it can be made. I honestly don't think they had the slightest semblance of a plan beyond last Wednesday.

Methanolandbrats
01-31-04, 08:49 PM
Because the management of the series simply isn't very smart. That's as simple as it can be made. I honestly don't think they had the slightest semblance of a plan beyond last Wednesday.

That is the most asute observation on the whole deal. About sums up the last nine years. Kudos. :thumbup:

Lizzerd
01-31-04, 09:02 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't one of the early Beta versions of The Vision, 1.4 I think, mention a 2.2 L turbo as the power plant for Earl? I wonder if Boy George is regretting going with the original 4.0 NA in Vision version 1.0 now. The 2.65 L has survived for years by reducing boost as needed. Seems easier than reducing displacement every three years.

Yep, the man sure is a genius.

Racewriter
01-31-04, 09:10 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't one of the early Beta versions of The Vision, 1.4 I think, mention a 2.2 L turbo as the power plant for Earl? I wonder if Boy George is regretting going with the original 4.0 NA in Vision version 1.0 now. The 2.65 L has survived for years by reducing boost as needed. Seems easier than reducing displacement every three years.

Yep, the man sure is a genius.

That was version 1.0. The 2.2 turbo V8 was the very first IRL formula. At the time, I'll be honest - I didn't think it was the right direction. The 4-liter ended up being the IRL formula when 'their' cars debuted in 1997.

Railbird
01-31-04, 09:18 PM
First off I've been told T&H will have the power back by mid season so the reduction is just another meaningless excercise in acting like they are concerend with safety.

Knee jerk change with the costs passed off to the manufactures.

Secondly, the most dramatic bump day I've ever witnessed came in '95 with the defending championship team struggling and failing.

what was so wrong that needed to be fixed?

Lizzerd
01-31-04, 09:18 PM
That's why I suggested it was a Beta version. :)

I always considered Version 1.0 to be what was run in 1997. Could be wrong, though. I lost track of all the versions years ago... :)

Edit: This was a reply to Racewriter.

Methanolandbrats
01-31-04, 09:26 PM
First off I've been told T&H will have the power back by mid season so the reduction is just another meaningless excercise in acting like they are concerend with safety.

Knee jerk change with the costs passed off to the manufactures.

Secondly, the most dramatic bump day I've ever witnessed came in '95 with the defending championship team struggling and failing.

what was so wrong that needed to be fixed? Elmer needed to be "fixed", but it was too late for that. :D

racer2c
01-31-04, 09:40 PM
If I said it once, I've said it a thousand times; Tony could have done everything right, instead he did everything wrong. Meaning, since he was concerned about the 'power' of the franchised teams and their grip on his race (sidebar: Did CART ever threaten to boycott the 500 after 1980?) he could have written his letter of intent to say to the fans "I'm concerned about the integrity of the Indy 500 as the franchised teams have the ability to manipulate it for their own needs. I am creating my own series that will insure that the diversity, integrity and future is insured. I have nothing but the fans in mind in making this decision." Instead he went about alienating his current, and quite large, fan base by doing everything he could to create the opposite series to what they were enjoying at the time. Boy, those Euro road racers sure did make some bad blood eh? You better believe it.

Now I see some sympathizers claiming that less than 33 but at least 30 is OK. Give me a break. I can not believe that Toyota and Honda are supporting this guy. I really can't.

DaveL
01-31-04, 10:18 PM
Good thing the IRL was created to solve the problems caused by mfg leasing :shakehead

As an adendum to RW's post, the 4.0 was first IRL engine not because it was the best engineering option, but because that's what they could get at the time.

And to answer Railbird's question as to what needed to be fixed, maybe thought there was something wrong with the 45 car/driver combos attempting to qualify in '94.

racer2c
01-31-04, 10:36 PM

And to answer Railbird's question as to what needed to be fixed, maybe thought there was something wrong with the 45 car/driver combos attempting to qualify in '94.

A point that we need to yell from the mountain tops come May. Or, actually, not us, but the fans of the IRL.

Railbird
01-31-04, 10:39 PM
for the money TG has spent he could have owned/controlled enough teams/tracks within the CART structure to influence the direction without destroying the momentum.

DaveL
01-31-04, 11:03 PM
for the money TG has spent he could have owned/controlled enough teams/tracks within the CART structure to influence the direction without destroying the momentum.

And he could have put the Murican drivers he was supposed to be so concerned about in the cars to boot.

I remember 1995. Not having enough engines for every potential entry was the last thing anyone had to worry about.

Dr. Corkski
02-01-04, 07:28 AM
I am sure Big Daddy's BBQ will step up and sponsor 12 cars to make it a 33 car field on bump day.

pchall
02-01-04, 11:26 AM
He was absolutely right .... Bump day is a day for the wankers... and in reality most of the IRL regulars are wankers...

For the most part, Bump Day has always been Wanker Day. How else could ABC's desperate reporting have made George Snider in underprepared Foyt cars into a hero? Or Bob Frey in a five year old copy of a ten year old Eagle?

RichK
02-02-04, 01:01 PM
As an adendum to RW's post, the 4.0 was first IRL engine not because it was the best engineering option, but because that's what they could get at the time.

I remember reading Sam Posey's Road & Track article where he lamented the state of American open wheel racing. He talked about staying at the Hotel at the Speedway, and with the 4.0L engines running around the track, he wasn't sure if he was listening to the racecars or a bunch of trucks passing on I-395....