PDA

View Full Version : "I'm Not Interested in any Kind of Merger..."

racer2c
01-29-04, 06:10 PM
George contended it was a missed opportunity.

"I felt we had an opportunity to unite open wheel racing," he said. "But I'm not interested in any kind of merger now that they've got those assets. I'm not interested in giving up the equity we've got in the IRL.

"With the economy it's going to be tough to have two series in open wheel racing and by us not being successful today our work will continue to be a challenge but we're up to it. And we still intend to go road racing in the future."

Link to Article (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/9574/)

This is just as I (us) expected. Tony is now going to try to use his money and his associates (T & H) to steal races from Champ Car. Bastard.

Lizzerd
01-29-04, 06:28 PM
That idiot really wants the casual fan to believe he was trying to "unite" the series. Absolutely incredible.

At least the first paragraph in this article (http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/115822-8786-036.html) gets it right.

Unification was never on his mind.

JT265
01-29-04, 08:22 PM
The last thing on his mind Lizzerd was a big juicy hemmoroid.

RichK
01-29-04, 08:39 PM
This is just as I (us) expected. Tony is now going to try to use his money and his associates (T & H) to steal races from Champ Car. Bastard.

I've thought about this a bit today. Tony WILL get a few road courses, I'm sure. There's too much money behind him. Honda will pay for Mid-Ohio, and Portland is in limbo right now. I'm wondering about the big influence that Toyota has on Long Beach. What are the odds that the IRL will actively seek street races where ChampCar isn't racing?

I really doubt that the IRL has a chance to get anything in Canada, Mexico or Australia.

racer2c
01-29-04, 11:39 PM
I've thought about this a bit today. Tony WILL get a few road courses, I'm sure. There's too much money behind him. Honda will pay for Mid-Ohio, and Portland is in limbo right now. I'm wondering about the big influence that Toyota has on Long Beach. What are the odds that the IRL will actively seek street races where ChampCar isn't racing?

I really doubt that the IRL has a chance to get anything in Canada, Mexico or Australia.

That is why I am ready to get on the road/street course only bandwagon for Champ Cars. Make the cars even more adept at those cirquits thus making the crapwagons even more evident of being crappy. I want smaller, lighter chassis, higher turbo boost maybe even larger tires. Oh and paddle shifters, yeah paddle shifters! An F1 car on a budget. Get those Champ Cars screaming out of the corners and stopping even better so that the look is more F1 and people will start to say whoa, look at this! I'm all for diversity, but not for two ovals a year. Not when they could have a smaller, lighter, faster car that is even more impressive. That way when the crapwagons take to the track they will look like the slugs they are in comparison. *credit to Chris B for the influence*

nz_climber
01-29-04, 11:58 PM
I like your thinking R2c :thumbup: :D

Lizzerd
01-30-04, 02:01 AM
That is why I am ready to get on the road/street course only bandwagon for Champ Cars. Make the cars even more adept at those cirquits thus making the crapwagons even more evident of being crappy. I want smaller, lighter chassis, higher turbo boost maybe even larger tires. Oh and paddle shifters, yeah paddle shifters! An F1 car on a budget. Get those Champ Cars screaming out of the corners and stopping even better so that the look is more F1 and people will start to say whoa, look at this! I'm all for diversity, but not for two ovals a year. Not when they could have a smaller, lighter, faster car that is even more impressive. That way when the crapwagons take to the track they will look like the slugs they are in comparison. *credit to Chris B for the influence*

r2c,
Like nz, I'm beginning to think the same way. Screw the ovals. Smaller and lighter cars I agree with, but not sure about the tires. See what Bridgestone's input might be first. Paddle shifters would be okay with me too. Expose their racing for what they already admit that it is - momemtum "racing". Some people might turn their heass and, as you say, say "woah, that's cool".

chop456
01-30-04, 02:51 AM
Well, if the chassis is lightened and made smaller, the tires will essentially be bigger without being modified at all.

Genius, I know. :D

RichK
01-30-04, 03:55 PM
I'd like to know if ChampCar is going to talk to Bernie about the new GP2 cars. Maybe use those chassis (although they are Dallaras), and plop in a turbo-4 with Mike-Kellner-approved boost.

racer2c
01-30-04, 04:15 PM
I'd like to know if ChampCar is going to talk to Bernie about the new GP2 cars. Maybe use those chassis (although they are Dallaras), and plop in a turbo-4 with Mike-Kellner-approved boost.

When we finally hear which engine manufactures Champ Car is courting for '05 (?) we can better understand their demographics and how that would correlate with a race engine. Example, BMW is probably a good guess as they are a support series. Now, is BMW more likely to be in favor of a i4-turbo or a V8 turbo, or are they going to rehash the NA V10 prospect.
I hope Champ Car decides what is best for them and lays that out and lets those who want to join the fun, come on in!

pchall
01-30-04, 04:29 PM

pchall
01-30-04, 04:31 PM
Read Russel Jaslow on Tony George and his bid and the aftermath.

Deep Throttle (http://www.deepthrottle.com/Essays/born_rich.shtml)

Good insights from RJ as usual.

racer2c
01-30-04, 04:39 PM
Read Russel Jaslow on Tony George and his bid and the aftermath.

Deep Throttle (http://www.deepthrottle.com/Essays/born_rich.shtml)

Good insights from RJ as usual.

Nice! :thumbup: