PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrrr......

anait
01-29-04, 10:30 AM
Okay, not quite as cold as yesterday, :eek: but still flippin' cold!!! -51 with the windchill, schools closed again.

But I am now very thankful for the insulating properties of snow. I was beginning to think we were keeping the heat turned up too high, the house has been so toasty this winter (the snowiest and coldest since '97). But the light finally went on - there is SO much snow piled against all four walls of our house, and drifted so high in our back yard, that the cold air and NW winds aren't affecting us like they usually do. It's especially noticable on the northwest side (back yard side), which faces onto an open field. Usually our bedroom and the kitchen are icy cold all winter. We still have a draft coming through the back door, but I'm sitting here in bare feet, and I'm completely comfortable. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, a town north of Winnipeg had their gas line freeze up this morning. :eek: If they can't fix it, the town will be evacuated.

Chaos
01-29-04, 10:39 AM
how do you do it? I'm in Toronto and am cussing this cold...makes we wonder why we continue to live here when there are so many other places that have nice weather all year round. I should move to Australia...

anait
01-29-04, 11:11 AM
how do you do it? I'm in Toronto and am cussing this cold...makes we wonder why we continue to live here when there are so many other places that have nice weather all year round. I should move to Australia...

:D Actually, I don't mind this cold weather, if I have a warm home, a dependable vehicle, and cash. Okay, a fireplace or wood burning stove would be nice backup, too...anyway, :D it really is a dry cold. I would much rather have this weather than -15 with high humidity. I visited southern Ontario in the winter and could hardly stand the weather. It was SO damp, my joints hated it.

When you grow up here, you learn what to wear when you absolutely have to go outside. A couple of years ago I walked our oldest daughter to school one morning when it was -51 (school closure rules have changed). I put on hubby's old work parka (huge), had on long undies, jeans, and sweats overtop, super thick giant mitts, and a scarf tied over my face. Had to take off my glasses, or they would have fogged up. I actually dressed too warmly - by the time I got home, I was sweating.

We've talked about retiring somewhere warmer, but every place has a downside. Nah, we'll build our highly energy-efficient new home here on the bald prairie, heat it with geo thermal and solar power, put in a solar water still and maybe a shiny windmill when we retire, and welcome cold and weary travellers. :cool:

JoeBob
01-29-04, 11:34 AM
Here in the Twin Cities, they're predicting a high temperature of -5F. Right now, it is -16. I'd look for the wind chill, but does it really matter?

It is so cold, it actually hurts to breathe. I like cold weather, but this is a bit much!

Warlock!
01-29-04, 11:41 AM
We've talked about retiring somewhere warmer, but every place has a downside.
When we flew out to Vegas last week it was incredibly clear. During our descent, I'm guessing somewhere in Utah, I looked out the window and between two big ol' mountains there was a little Burg of maybe 40 houses/buildings, completely socked in by snow. The streets were visable, so I'm assuming you could still get around without a problem. I could just picture myself busting thru drifts on the snowmobiles, a flask of blowtorch in my inside coat pocket. I looked at my wife (which I usually don't do) and said, "When we retire, THAT'S where we're goin'." She gave an enthusiastic nod (which she usually doesn't do).

Nah, we'll build our highly energy-efficient new home here on the bald prairie, heat it with geo thermal and solar power, put in a solar water still and maybe a shiny windmill when we retire, and welcome cold and weary travellers. :cool:
I assume you'll have alcohol for us weary travellers, correct? :D

Winter Warlock!

dirtyboy
01-29-04, 11:44 AM
When we flew out to Vegas last week it was incredibly clear.
Hey dumbass, you should have let me know you were going to Vegas. I would have met up with you for a few hundred beers.

anait
01-29-04, 12:01 PM
I assume you'll have alcohol for us weary travellers, correct? :D

Yes, sir. :D

cartcanuck
01-29-04, 06:50 PM
Yeah, just a little ways away from you Anait, with our windchill we hit -56Celcius, which...........if the internet calculator is accurate...........translates to -68Farenheit.

Let's just say I spent a lot of time indoors!!

anait
01-29-04, 06:56 PM
Yeah, just a little ways away from you Anait, with our windchill we hit -56Celcius, which...........if the internet calculator is accurate...........translates to -68Farenheit.

Let's just say I spent a lot of time indoors!!

:eek: Holy crap!!

Okay, no more b!tching from anait... :D

cartcanuck
01-29-04, 06:59 PM
Boy I'm tellin' ya.....the only think keeping me warm (aside from mrs. Cartcanuck!!) is knowing that in 3 weeks, we are going to be in Florida sittin' on the beach drinking a couple of paper's beers!!! Ohhh, I can't wait!!

anait
01-29-04, 07:14 PM
Boy I'm tellin' ya.....the only think keeping me warm (aside from mrs. Cartcanuck!!) is knowing that in 3 weeks, we are going to be in Florida sittin' on the beach drinking a couple of paper's beers!!! Ohhh, I can't wait!!

:flame: :p :D Oh, you bum....trying to not be jealous....trying hard....NOT working. :D

Sigh. Are you going to T-O?? We're trying like crazy to do it...

cartcanuck
01-29-04, 07:21 PM
With yesterday's annoucement I talked it over with Mrs. Cartcanuck and it's looking pretty good right now. We want to go down and visit her family anyways, and I can steal her brotherin law away and head to the track with our cameras. But we'll likely wait until mid march to decide because Mrs. Cc's job term ends and we don't know if she'll be working or not. If not, then $$ might keep us from going. But my fingers are crossed that either her term is extended or another position comes up for her. The next day, I'm booking tickets!!

anait
01-29-04, 08:40 PM
Okay, now I'm mad. :flame: This frelling cold has killed our van, leaving mr anait stuck in Winnipeg for the night. He tried for an hour and a half to boost it.

There are plenty of friends for him to stay with...at least he's not stuck at his office. I'm just p-o'd that I'll be in bed with pillows only tonight... :cry: :D

RTKar
01-29-04, 10:28 PM
Man... -1 on the way into work, -1 on the way home and it's not even February yet. Reminds me of my college days in northern Wisconsin.

rocket
01-30-04, 06:43 AM
It's not so bad....great ice cube weather :gomer:

Nick51
01-30-04, 10:59 AM
It's a balmy -3 :saywhat: here in Indy....so I guess I have nothing to complain about!

JoeBob
01-30-04, 01:26 PM
I actually heard the following on the radio this morning: "It is warming up a little bit. Right now, in the Twin Cities, it is 22 degrees below zero."

Warmest spot in Minnesota is -13. Coldest is something like -40.

It is so cold, they actually closed the ice palace this morning!

RichK
01-30-04, 01:28 PM
Some TV news show was interviewing workers at an ice factory on the East Coast. The delivery guys were going INSIDE the ice storage area to warm up!

anait
01-30-04, 05:03 PM
Well. My husband now has a plan to start the van.

His friend (who builds cars in his spare time, and who has saved us piles of money by letting us use his home shop - I got to play with the air gun!! :thumbup: ) will arrive at our van with a propane blow torch, to heat up the engine block from underneath our car.

Hubby's boss says they used to do this all the time with tractors on the farm - sometimes they'd light up the ol' hibachi and stick it underneath.

But the putting together of 'propane torch' and 'gasoline-powered vehicle' isn't sitting comfortably in my mind... :eek:

Don Quixote
01-30-04, 05:08 PM
Did I mention that it is 52 degress F in Denver right now? :p

racer2c
01-30-04, 05:12 PM
... I got to play with the air gun!! :thumbup: ) :

:) :eek: :cool:

anait
01-30-04, 06:05 PM
:) :eek: :cool:

Heheh...yeah, well, I sure would look like an idiot in a pit box, though. Tires are heavier than I thought... :gomer:

KLang
01-30-04, 06:31 PM

His friend (who builds cars in his spare time, and who has saved us piles of money by letting us use his home shop - I got to play with the air gun!! :thumbup: ) will arrive at our van with a propane blow torch, to heat up the engine block from underneath our car.

Hubby's boss says they used to do this all the time with tractors on the farm - sometimes they'd light up the ol' hibachi and stick it underneath.

But the putting together of 'propane torch' and 'gasoline-powered vehicle' isn't sitting comfortably in my mind... :eek:

Has this friend done this before without ending up in the hospital? :eek:

anait
01-30-04, 06:43 PM
Has this friend done this before without ending up in the hospital? :eek:

Apparently so. And he's a big, healthy guy.

I'll let y'all know if I'm a widow in a few hours. :saywhat:

Ankf00
01-30-04, 07:11 PM

it was 0 in Peoria...

I'm brown, we don't do 0.

:flame:

You canucks can keep your cold, I'm gonna hide like a wus down south! I'm wearing shorts now :p

anait
01-31-04, 11:56 AM
Okay, applying flame to the vehicle was not necessary. :D Mr anait's bosses felt so badly that he'd spent the night away from his family (awwww....), that they bought him a super-long extension cord to plug in the van. The cord ran across the street to the parking lot. :rofl:

Cam
01-31-04, 12:12 PM

Sounds like a good time to break out the video camera! :gomer: