PDA

View Full Version : Austrian GP to be dropped after 2003

mnkywrch
01-27-03, 01:16 PM
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21779&s=5

The A1-Ring at Spielberg holds a contract to host a Formula 1 event until 2006, but Ecclestone told Kronen Zeitung: "We'll be racing for the last time in Spielberg on May 18 this year – then it's over. Of course, we had a contract with Spielberg until 2006, but with an exit clause that's now come into effect. Your [Austria's] health minister is the one to blame because he agreed to bringing forward the ban on tobacco advertising."

Ecclestone gave his comments while in Kitzbuhel for the World Cup skiing races at the weekend.

"In 2004 we're racing in Shanghai and Bahrain, 2005 in Istanbul, then in Russia," he said. "It's possible that we then only have five or six races in central Europe."

mapguy
01-27-03, 02:38 PM
Well, can't say that I blame Bernie on this one. Looks like in a few years F1 will be racing in 3rd world countries exclusively. It's a shame because Austria tends to be one of the more exciting GP's of the year.

01-27-03, 02:47 PM
Although I've never really cared for the new circuit, I think this GP should stay. It's a shame that F1 is losing its more traditional-type circuits. I still can't believe that they are not returning to Spa this year. Quite honestly, I'm not too crazy with the way F1 is heading these days.

Ziggy
01-27-03, 05:16 PM
I agree with the direction comments. It looks as if the history of the sport means nothing.... and in this day and age, its all a money game. Austria has supported GP racing through some rough times, and the fans pack the place.

Ziggy

RTKar
01-27-03, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Looks like in a few years F1 will be racing in 3rd world countries exclusively.

Boy this is great, the most expensive racing series on the planet with teams like Ferrari,BMW,Mercedes and Jag all trying to sell luxury cars in countries whose people's greatest hope is to get enough firewood to boil a bowl of gruel.

pchall
01-28-03, 12:29 PM
Bernie does seem to have a drive to destroy F1 as we know it search of a few more years of tobacco money.

RichK
01-28-03, 12:33 PM
Austria is/was my favorite F1 track after Spa.

I'm pretty tired of big time racing politics the world over. :(

oddlycalm
02-01-03, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by pchall
Bernie does seem to have a drive to destroy F1 as we know it search of a few more years of tobacco money.

Ah yes, the real bottom line... Bernie will never come right out and say it, but any race held in a country that won't allow tobacco advertising on the cars is in jeopardy. :shakehead