PDA

View Full Version : Worst Cars Ever

racer2c
01-28-04, 10:02 AM
Link (http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2004/01/26/cx_dl_0126feat.html)

Between myself and my parents, four of these P'sOS were in our driveway at one time or another. They omitted the car on the top of my list, a '90 Chevy Celebrity. Also, their list contains the Bronco II but their picture shows a full size Bronco.
What, no K Car?

Make sure your popup stopper is on for this one. Click the slideshow for their list.

And the domestic manufacturers are scratching their collective heads wondering why they are having such a hard time getting market share back.
Truth be told, there is hardly a bad vehicle made today from anyone (even GM and the Koreans) but try telling that to people who have purchased nothing but Honda's and Toyota's for the last twenty years. They give you that 'look'.

RacinM3
01-28-04, 12:00 PM
Nice job Forbes. At least get the photos right.....the Bronco II photo was of a full-size Bronco, and if the Bronco II was so bad, how do you explain the bazillion Ford Exploders that were sold, which were just Bronco II's with 4 doors?

I would add:

Any Renault
Any Peugeot
Any Fiat
Delorean
Gremlin (ok, anything AMC)
Any K-car
Mustang II
Any 1975 imported car (due to the new smog requirements)

The absolute worst car I ever had the displeasure of riding in was a Chevrolet ________ (forgot that name, but same car as the Pontiac T1000) - I swear the car was so small and gutless, I was afraid for my life in it. GM executives should have been sued for foisting that on the public as a "car". :thumdown:

chop456
01-28-04, 12:29 PM
The absolute worst car I ever had the displeasure of riding in was a Chevrolet ________ (forgot that name, but same car as the Pontiac T1000) - I swear the car was so small and gutless, I was afraid for my life in it. GM executives should have been sued for foisting that on the public as a "car". :thumdown:

That'd be a Chevette.

Cars that I've had the personal displeasure of driving (Not owning).

Original Hyundai Excel H/B. First gear was good for at least 8mph.
Jaguar XJS V-12. Had 2 at the dealership I worked for. Neither one ran. Ever.
Pontiac 6000 (Did own this one). Same as every other suck-ass FWD 80's GM POS.
Ford Bronco II. Drove it twice. It stranded me twice.
198(2?) Turbo TransAm. 301 Pontiac. Worst engine EVER!.
Chevy Vega
Ford Maverick
Mustang II

Racewriter
01-28-04, 12:31 PM
I have to take issue with the 79-84 Olds 88. They indicted it mainly for the 5.7 diesel, which was installed in a minority of the cars. And, one thing we discovered back in the mid-80s was that if you installed dual exhausts on a 5.7 diesel, you transformed a dog to a bear. Those cars' biggest problem was that they couldn't breathe out the exhaust.

And the diesel was worthwhile just because it gave Olds racers everywhere the best racing block they ever had...:D:D:D

Joe in LA
01-28-04, 03:43 PM
Nice job Forbes. At least get the photos right.....the Bronco II photo was of a full-size Bronco, and if the Bronco II was so bad, how do you explain the bazillion Ford Exploders that were sold, which were just Bronco II's with 4 doors?

I would add:

Any Renault
Any Peugeot
Any Fiat
Delorean
Gremlin (ok, anything AMC)
Any K-car
Mustang II
Any 1975 imported car (due to the new smog requirements)

I had a '78 Chevette 4 door. Went through 2 clutches in 25K miles! The best thing about the car was that it was reasonably well balanced and rear wheel drive, so you could drive it just as quickly (slowly) on snow and ice as on dry pavement--in fact, in some places you could handle it better in winter because you could slide the car under power, something that was impossible normally. The other "useful" thing about it was the name--you could tell people you had a "vette".

mapguy
01-28-04, 03:44 PM
Original Hyundai Excel H/B.

Dood, you guys here in the US were lucky not to get the first Hyundai. The Pony. Made the Excel look like a freaking Acura.

http://www.scorbett.ca/photos/cars/1985_pony/****box.jpg

Hyundai's other model at the time was named the Stellar, which it was not. This was it's Accord fighter. :gomer:

http://www.witurb.iap.pl/hyundai/muzeum/stellar.gif

Chaos
01-28-04, 04:57 PM
My parents owned an 82 Mercury Lynx mini-wagon...that was was a weiner. They also owned an 87 Reliant...it lasted a while, but it did eat 3 engines - 2 under warranty!