PDA

View Full Version : Preserve and protect

Railbird
01-25-04, 09:33 AM
"we are committed to expand our schedule to preserve and protect key traditional road and street races in North America"

The last time this guy decided to do a little P and P the end result was short beer lines and lots of legroom at Indy during the month of May.

"and incorporating historic road and street courses which are important to fans and sponsors."

in other words:

'Since we've run off the short track folks and even with ticket give-aways don't seem to be able to draw flies from the Nascar crowd, we thought we would try to buy our way into the road racing fan's hearts with a low ball offer and a little revisionist history.'

Ziggy
01-25-04, 10:33 AM
Dont it just make you sick? To think that He even has the nerve to put these words down on paper.... and to think that if he buys his way into road racing the fans will embrace his series

Not

FTG
Ziggy

pchall
01-25-04, 10:45 AM
The thought makes me nauseous.

If Tony George gets his way, for the first time since 1964 there will not be a pro series in North America worth my attention on a season long basis. So goes almost forty years of loving and hating this cruel sport.... :(

racer2c
01-25-04, 10:55 AM
Maybe Judge Otte will have a moment of clarity and throw Tony in the hoosgow (sp) for crimes against humanity. One can dream. :)

racer2c
01-25-04, 10:59 AM
Could it be that he is setting the precedent that even if OWRS wins in court, the IRL will continue to try and steal tracks from Champ Car? Business as usual...

Racewriter
01-25-04, 01:32 PM
"we are committed to expand our schedule to preserve and protect key traditional road and street races in North America"

The last time this guy decided to do a little P and P the end result was short beer lines and lots of legroom at Indy during the month of May.

"and incorporating historic road and street courses which are important to fans and sponsors."

in other words:

'Since we've run off the short track folks and even with ticket give-aways don't seem to be able to draw flies from the Nascar crowd, we thought we would try to buy our way into the road racing fan's hearts with a low ball offer and a little revisionist history.'

As accurate an analysis as it gets, Bird. Of course the usual suspects are sucking it up...

cart7
01-26-04, 09:08 AM
Too bad this judge isn't racing aware. He may have no idea that accepting a bid from TG will mean the trashing of great venues like Toronto, Surfers, Vancouver and others. :shakehead

pchall
01-26-04, 10:50 AM
Too bad this judge isn't racing aware. He may have no idea that accepting a bid from TG will mean the trashing of great venues like Toronto, Surfers, Vancouver and others. :shakehead

Molstar has apparently raised an object to the the IRL bid and a representative from Molstar is supposed to be there on Wednesday to watch over their interests.

This link (http://www.cartfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13784) to Crapwagon.com's forums gets you to the thread with all the info from Canada.

jonovision_man
01-26-04, 01:19 PM
Molstar has apparently raised an object to the the IRL bid and a representative from Molstar is supposed to be there on Wednesday to watch over their interests.

This link (http://www.cartfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13784) to Crapwagon.com's forums gets you to the thread with all the info from Canada.

Good link, especially that Toronto Star article:
here (http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1075072209499&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064)

I don't think it's the IRL specifically he's opposed to, since in the past he's mentionned it was a possibility. (He also mentionned ALMS as a stand-in)

Sounds like his real opposition is the fact that they wouldn't run the Molson Indys in 2004, effectively shutting him down for a year when expenses have already been incurred and contracts signed...

I object to it too! No cars on Lakeshore? :shakehead It wouldn't be a Toronto summer!

jono

cart7
01-26-04, 02:09 PM
Good link, especially that Toronto Star article:
here (http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1075072209499&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064)

I don't think it's the IRL specifically he's opposed to, since in the past he's mentionned it was a possibility. (He also mentionned ALMS as a stand-in)

Sounds like his real opposition is the fact that they wouldn't run the Molson Indys in 2004, effectively shutting him down for a year when expenses have already been incurred and contracts signed...

I object to it too! No cars on Lakeshore? :shakehead It wouldn't be a Toronto summer!

jono

I watched some of a Cascar race from the Toronto street course on Speed a few weeks ago. While this race is no substitute for the Cart event, when do they run the Cascar race in relation to the Cart race?

jonovision_man
01-26-04, 02:52 PM
I watched some of a Cascar race from the Toronto street course on Speed a few weeks ago. While this race is no substitute for the Cart event, when do they run the Cascar race in relation to the Cart race?

Last year it was on Saturday after CART qualifying.

Just another support race, a well received one typically, but the stands are usually pretty empty for them. CASCAR puts on a good show, but it doesn't have much of a profile, only people who really know racing would know about CASCAR. (They do put on a pretty good show, though, last year there were tonnes of lead changes and it was a fight to the last corner!)

jono

cart7
01-26-04, 02:57 PM
Thanks, and BTW, it was a pretty decent race. ;)