PDA

View Full Version : CART response to IRL bid

rabbit
01-24-04, 01:01 AM
OPEN WHEEL RACING SERIES, LLC

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OPEN WHEEL RACING SERIES RESPONDS TO IRL’S BID ON CART ASSETS

LANSING, Mich. (Jan. 23, 2004) – The Indy Racing League’s (“IRL”) submission of a bid for selected assets of Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc. (“CART”) has only reinforced the Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC (“OWRS”) commitment to preserve the future of open-wheel racing through the continuation of the Champ Car World Series.

Any competing bid had to be submitted no later than 9:30 a.m. today. On Jan. 28, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Frank J. Otte will render a final decision on the disposition of the CART assets.

“We stand by what we’ve said previously,” said OWRS partner Paul Gentilozzi. “We will do whatever it takes to save the Champ Car series and ensure its success into the future. Last-minute posturing and provocation by (Tony) George and his organization only serve strengthen our commitment and dedication to do what’s right for motorsports. To coin a phase, ‘failure is not an option.’

“We have teams representing more than 18 cars, a creative television package, and a great race schedule all ready to go,” continued Gentilozzi. “Our plan calls for a win-win situation for the teams, creditors, sponsors, promoters, and the fans – a fact that will not go unnoticed in the courtroom next week.

“It’s clear what the IRL’s intentions are when you look at which assets they want to purchase,” said Gentilozzi referring to the Long Beach contract and the CART engines, among other equipment. “They want to kill the series, yet they hide that fact under the pretext of ‘unification.’ They’re not fooling anyone.”

OWRS partner Kevin Kalkhoven explained, “The IRL bid specifically excludes the teams and their employees. Furthermore, it excludes the other races and promoters which reached more than 2 million fans. Their bid does not take into account the tens of millions of dollars of future liabilities that would be accepted by OWRS. We intend to preserve the teams and sponsors.

“No amount of posturing by the IRL will determine the ultimate fate of the Champ Car series. The issue will be decided in a court of law, based on the facts presented,” concluded Kalkhoven.

Kiwifan
01-24-04, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the heads up rabbit. :thumbup: I thought that CART should have said this waaaaaaay back when some of CARTs owners wanted to race INDY. We shoulda raced that weekend and said "screw you boys, the Championship points just carry on and if you want to do Indy then you'll lose points."

Glad to see the guys taking a hard line against the IRL, it's about bloody time!

Rusty.

racer2c
01-24-04, 11:51 AM
Amen! It's good to see PG mirror my opinion in my editorial post. *gloat, gloat*.

You go OWRS!

turn1
01-24-04, 01:58 PM
I have been getting these as well Rabbit. I admire the proactive PR in response to the IRL stiring up the pot. Typical Gentilozzi dont ya think?

Let's cross our fingers for a fair judgement - I dont want to start planning alternative functions for the Independance Day Weekend!

pchall
01-25-04, 11:12 AM
The IRL bid only serves one function: stirring the pot. The rest is only any effort to prevent their competition from racing in 2004. Whatever use could the IRL have for the Ford Cosworth engine and rebuild contract? And the interest in the LBGP is only cherry-picking of an event that would begin to supply the glamour and the fans missing from the rest of the pathetic IRL series.

Brickman
01-25-04, 01:54 PM
The IRL bid only serves one function: stirring the pot. The rest is only any effort to prevent their competition from racing in 2004. Whatever use could the IRL have for the Ford Cosworth engine and rebuild contract? And the interest in the LBGP is only cherry-picking of an event that would begin to supply the glamour and the fans missing from the rest of the pathetic IRL series.

You are 100% correct.