PDA

View Full Version : I Lost a Friend Today...

racer2c
01-22-04, 08:31 PM
Our eldest horse Onyx passed this morning (from a suspected cancer).
I've had numerous canine and feline funerals in my life, but there is something special and different about a horse. Maybe because of the way they carry us and the bond of trust that is established in doing so.
Onyx was the reason I became interested in my wife and daughters favorite activity. We hit it off from day one. This was my first equine death experience and it was a tortuous and morbid day. He died in his stall and had to be excavated with a hired front end loader (and not by graceful means). I clipped a lock of his tail to bring inside. He was buried under an apple tree overlooking the pond where he loved to romp.

Raise your glass with me friends if you will. A toast to a beautiful Thoroughbred. May you run free and fast.

nz_climber
01-22-04, 08:48 PM
Sorry for your loss racer :(

My glass is raised, and my thoughts with you

Ziggy
01-22-04, 10:56 PM
Sorry to hear that. Revel in the good memories.

Hang in there

Ziggy

Kiwifan
01-22-04, 11:00 PM
So sorry buddy. :(

They say that a dog is mans best friend but from my (limited) experience with horses I would say they come a very close second. My son and daughter went through the 'horse' stage for a few years and we spent lots of time in the paddock with them. I'll never forget the fun and laughter we had and I remember well the sorrow we had when one of them died.

Take care,

Rusty.

lone_groover
01-23-04, 12:01 AM
Very sad to hear, chum.

Always helps to talk about your departed friend with those who loved him, and remeber.

Don Quixote
01-23-04, 12:11 AM
So sorry for your loss. In time the good memories will prevail. :(

Lizzerd
01-23-04, 01:12 AM
God Speed, Onyx. May wide green pastures await you.

Glass is raised, r2c.

Robstar
01-23-04, 01:18 AM
Sorry for your loss, glass is charged racer2c...

chop456
01-23-04, 02:41 AM
My condolences, R2C.

JoeBob
01-23-04, 12:06 PM
Thanks for sharing with us, my thoughts are with you.

rabbit
01-23-04, 12:08 PM
Sorry to hear that r2c.

To Onyx.

nrc
01-23-04, 12:35 PM
Very sorry for your loss, racer2c. Losing a friend like that is all the more difficult because some people don't understand how hard it is to lose a close animal companion. We understand. Over time the pain will fade and leave you with fond memories. Wishing you well until that day arrives.

DjDrOmusic
01-23-04, 12:49 PM
Our deepest condolences Racer :(

racer2c
01-23-04, 03:57 PM
Thank you for the kind sentiments everyone. It made me feel better to share like groover mentioned. I contemplated posting this for thirty minutes or so as I was thinking that, well, you know, it's an animal and I'm supposed to be the big strong man. The burial process for such an animal is strange as the logistics come before emotion, if you know what I mean.
Breaking it to my 13 year old daughter was a tough thing also. A sad day indeed, but I appreciate this opportunity to share among my forum pals.

RTKar
01-23-04, 09:12 PM
Thank you for the kind sentiments everyone. It made me feel better to share like groover mentioned. I contemplated posting this for thirty minutes or so as I was thinking that, well, you know, it's an animal and I'm supposed to be the big strong man. The burial process for such an animal is strange as the logistics come before emotion, if you know what I mean.
Breaking it to my 13 year old daughter was a tough thing also. A sad day indeed, but I appreciate this opportunity to share among my forum pals.

No way, not just an animal, my uncle had a labrador that passed away 20 years ago that I still remember fondly as if he was a relative.... like a brother. I know the feeling. Not to mention the two beagles I've had, that I grew up with.

Railbird
01-23-04, 09:43 PM
A glass raised to Onyx and the joy he brought you 2C.

I love my four legged friends and know the pain.

embrace the memories

nissan gtp
01-23-04, 10:00 PM
so sorry to hear of your loss .... I grew up with horses, and my dad still keeps serveral (and a mule.... talk about a horse of a different color !). Horses become very interesting and amazing members of the family. They're unlike anything else.

hope your daughter is doing ok ... it's a young age to experience the pains of life... I am worried that we are facing a similar cancer situation with one of our dogs... and my daughter will be 13 in March...

Here's to Onyx. cheers.