PDA

View Full Version : AP is smokin' something...

Dougrun
01-22-04, 03:46 PM
Daytona 500 to Be Broadcast in High Definition
Jan 22, 12:48 PM (ET) Email this Story

NEW YORK (AP) - The Daytona 500 will be the first auto race to be broadcast in high definition.

The Feb. 15 race is being shown by NBC.

Besides a clearer and sharper picture, director Mike Wells said Thursday the HDTV broadcast will allow viewers to see more cars on the left and right of the screen than they would with standard television.

"It gives you that bigger feel," Wells said. "You feel so much more a part of the event."

The network has no immediate plans to broadcast future races in high definition.

NBC has had success with the Daytona 500 before. The network's broadcast of the 2002 race got a 10.9 rating, the highest ever for start-to-finish coverage.

NBC Sports, Fox Sports, Turner Sports, TNT and FX are entering the fourth year of a six-year, $2.8 billion deal to broadcast NASCAR.

I alerted AP to their mistake. The race at RA last year was done on HDNET.

turn1
01-22-04, 03:57 PM
I alerted AP to their mistake. The race at RA last year was done on HDNET.

I am sure the blame lies on NASCAR or the Speedway - I am sure this came from a release.

Turn7
01-22-04, 04:15 PM
Was the HDNet a broadcast or a distribution? Maybe there is an industry standard definition that would not count the RA race as a "broadcast".

??

Sean O'Gorman
01-22-04, 04:16 PM
Honestly, that race was so insignificent that its not hard to see how they didn't notice it. :(

Ankf00
01-22-04, 04:40 PM
maybe they mean on a broadcast network

Lizzerd
01-22-04, 06:03 PM
The Daytona 500 will be the first auto race to be broadcast in high definition.

Remember, to the majority of auto racing "fans", NASCAR IS auto racing. Sad, but true.