PDA

View Full Version : Damn it's cold here.....

mapguy
01-16-04, 06:44 AM
It's friggin -11 right now with wind chills of -35 to -45. How in the hell am I supposed to have a smoke?

KLang
01-16-04, 07:52 AM
Start out by putting on your pants. :p

Turn7
01-16-04, 09:01 AM
Type-S,

It was wise of you not to tell him that it was 70 in Houston today. People that are miserable because they chose to live in the fridgid wastelands of the north don't like for you to point that out at opportune times like this.

:p :D :D

RTKar
01-16-04, 09:22 AM
...102 in the shade...it's not bad ...really!...it's a dry heat.... ;) I still wish I could make like a bird, south in the winter, north in the summer.

sadams
01-16-04, 09:41 AM
-10 here in Rhode Island. Snow nice and crunchy.

KLang
01-16-04, 10:13 AM
Type-S,

It was wise of you not to tell him that it was 70 in Houston today. People that are miserable because they chose to live in the fridgid wastelands of the north don't like for you to point that out at opportune times like this.

:p :D :D

But we did have a little bit of drizzle yesterday. It was awfull. ;)

JT265
01-16-04, 10:16 AM
-23C here, -40 windchill. for the metrically challenged, no biggie, cause it's all the same. :cry:

<but it's a dry cold tho'>

Who gives a rats a**!

:D

JoeBob
01-16-04, 10:26 AM
Hey! Some of us live in Minnesota, where the phrase, "The high today will approach 5 degrees" is not uncommon.

That said, I'm visiting family in New York this weekend, and it is warmer back in Minnesota!

But, I'm the strange breed that will take cold over hot any day. When it is cold, I can put on more layers to get comfortable. When it is hot, there's only so much you can take off.

racer2c
01-16-04, 01:00 PM
Hey! Some of us live in Minnesota, where the phrase, "The high today will approach 5 degrees" is not uncommon.

That said, I'm visiting family in New York this weekend, and it is warmer back in Minnesota!

But, I'm the strange breed that will take cold over hot any day. When it is cold, I can put on more layers to get comfortable. When it is hot, there's only so much you can take off.

My grandmother lives in Duluth. I used to love to watch the tankers come in when I was a little kid. I thought it was awesome that the sailors would wave back. Mom used to claim that she preferred the Minn cold because it was "dryer".

Sean O'Gorman
01-16-04, 02:48 PM
I don't get people that prefer cold over hot. I hate having to spend more than 10 seconds outside in the cold if it doesn't involve driving on unsalted roads or sledding, yet I could spend a whole day outside in 90+ degree weather with a black t-shirt and jeans and a couple bottles of water and not feel uncomfortable at all.

I definitely live in the wrong part of the country, especially when you consider that I spend most of my time at work outdoors. It is definitely unusual, because the more I work outside, the more I adapt to it (when I started my shift on Monday morning it was 40 and I was outside and only needed a long sleeve shirt), but the more I hate it. :laugh:

KLang
01-16-04, 03:45 PM
Hmmm, did mapguy ever make it back inside after his smoke? :eek:

racer2c
01-16-04, 03:55 PM
I don't get people that prefer cold over hot. I hate having to spend more than 10 seconds outside in the cold if it doesn't involve driving on unsalted roads or sledding, yet I could spend a whole day outside in 90+ degree weather with a black t-shirt and jeans and a couple bottles of water and not feel uncomfortable at all.
:

That's a good point but I have friends that could spend all day on the ski slopes without a mention of the cold. Maybe it is age related? I used to ski allot when I was younger, now I hate the cold.

mapguy
01-16-04, 04:04 PM
I made it back from my smoke alright. The wind chill has dropped from -40 to -25 so it is safe to take my pants off now. I was thinking later this afternoon to go to the local bar and have a pint or two and puff in comfort but thanks to New York State's new smoking by-law I can't. :mad:

cartcanuck
01-16-04, 05:32 PM
It's not bad here right now.....we are within 20 degrees of freezing anyways.

But just over a week ago, it was -53 celcius including the windchill (about -64 fahrenheit).

Everything feels warm to me now.

anait
01-16-04, 08:23 PM
But just over a week ago, it was -53 celcius including the windchill (about -64 fahrenheit).

Everything feels warm to me now.

Yup, I finished clearing the deck without my gloves. :thumbup:

The amount of snow we have in our backyard/driveway is getting to be an issue, though. The snow in the backyard is nearly even with the top of our deck, about halfway around, (it's about 6' from the ground to the top of the deck railing) so to get rid of the snow I can't push it off the edge anymore, except down the steps onto the driveway. :saywhat: There's enough snow on the driveway already. So I get to catapult the snow over the deck railing, very good exercise for a 5'4 chick like myself. :rofl: By spring I should have some kinda strong arms, I tell ya!!

KLang
01-16-04, 08:53 PM
Heard on the news today that the Mars rover Spirit reported back that it was 12 above on Mars today. :p

RaceChic
01-17-04, 06:01 PM
It's wicked cold here. :cry:

http://www.kurts-smilies.de/krank.gif

Warlock!
01-18-04, 12:52 AM
That's a good point but I have friends that could spend all day on the ski slopes without a mention of the cold. Maybe it is age related? I used to ski allot when I was younger, now I hate the cold.
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you and Sean are gashes. Cold weather brings out the strength in a man, seeing who can keep his fire lit and his cabin warm, despite the whoary nights...

Of course, put me in the esses at MO when it's over 90 degrees and listen to me whine (unless I have a DD and a cooler full of beer).

Winter Warlock!

Sean O'Gorman
01-18-04, 02:18 AM
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you and Sean are gashes. Cold weather brings out the strength in a man, seeing who can keep his fire lit and his cabin warm, despite the whoary nights...

Of course, put me in the esses at MO when it's over 90 degrees and listen to me whine (unless I have a DD and a cooler full of beer).

Winter Warlock!

I think maybe part of my hating the cold is the fact that most of the time I spend facing it is at work...maybe its really that I just hate my job. :)

Some days its not so bad, its the constant scraping ice and snow off all the customers cars that gets really old, especially when they don't tip. When I'm not at work, I don't really mind it. In fact, I was supposed to go sledding with a friend tonight to try some new sled designs, but it started pouring. Its too bad, because one sled was the inner tube from a tractor tire, and the other is a sled built out of a skateboard and a construction sign...it looks like an ice skate for a giant! :cool:

EDIT: What is a **** anyway? Its pretty bad when Warlock's vocabulary goes over my head

Sean O'Gorman
01-18-04, 02:19 AM
double post

JT265
01-18-04, 03:13 PM
Your such a **** Sean.

:D

Railbird
01-18-04, 04:53 PM
I'm old

I'm skinny

I'm freakin' cold

The only things that keep me warm this time of year are layers and chuckling about the fat forkers sweatin' in the summer .

But Sean is still a ****

nz_climber
01-18-04, 05:40 PM
I won't brag too much cause it'll be winter before we know it

BUT come down under its warm and sunny :thumbup: :p

RTKar
01-18-04, 06:12 PM
I won't brag too much cause it'll be winter before we know it

BUT come down under its warm and sunny :thumbup: :p

One of these days hopefully, it's on the must do list. NZ and Australia with a little F1 thrown in.

nz_climber
01-18-04, 07:50 PM
One of these days hopefully, it's on the must do list. NZ and Australia with a little F1 thrown in.

and just after the Melborne GP (about 1 month) is the WRC in NZ :thumbup: so it would be good time to turn up :)

Cam
01-18-04, 08:03 PM
Just wait..................................

nz_climber
01-18-04, 08:19 PM
Just wait..................................

what are we waiting for ??

RTKar
01-18-04, 09:34 PM
and just after the Melborne GP (about 1 month) is the WRC in NZ :thumbup: so it would be good time to turn up :)

When I was typing out my response, I was actually wondering if there was a WRC event near the GP date. Thinking, "Wouldn't that be cool...F1 and WRC". That would be a great trip.

nz_climber
01-18-04, 09:55 PM
When I was typing out my response, I was actually wondering if there was a WRC event near the GP date. Thinking, "Wouldn't that be cool...F1 and WRC". That would be a great trip.

:thumbup: :)

nz_climber
01-19-04, 02:54 PM

Just a follow up on some dates for 2004 (to give you an idea)

F1 Melborne GP 7 March 04
WRC NZ 16-18 April 04

as you can see they are pretty close another time would be October/Nov
V8 Super Cars at Bathhurst
Champcars at surfers
WRC Austrailia
(but that schedule don't include any racing in nz - but still some awesome events)

:thumbup:

RTKar
01-19-04, 10:28 PM
Just a follow up on some dates for 2004 (to give you an idea)

F1 Melborne GP 7 March 04
WRC NZ 16-18 April 04

as you can see they are pretty close another time would be October/Nov
V8 Super Cars at Bathhurst
Champcars at surfers
WRC Austrailia
(but that schedule don't include any racing in nz - but still some awesome events)

:thumbup:

I think if I were to fly half around the world, it would be for F1, although Surfer's looks like a whole lot of fun. I do get something like 36 paid days off..... :p , thanks for the info nz...a tempting trip

Lizzerd
01-19-04, 11:39 PM
Ok, try this. 36 paid days off, right? Say you work for 15 of them and take 21 days off. Then say you want double pay for those 15 days. No, wait, maybe you should ask first.