PDA

View Full Version : Timing and Scoring System for sale

Hink
01-14-04, 03:39 PM
I read somewhere that one of the things that Barnhart was interested in buying from CART is the timing and scoring system.

No kidding.

They're two years too late on getting one.

Anyone have a link? (I think it was on IndyStar)

RichK
01-14-04, 03:45 PM
I saw that too.

What is worse is that they also need a mobile hospital unit as good as CART's.

cartcanuck
01-14-04, 03:55 PM
Hmmm, mobile hospital. What an interesting concept. You'd think someone who's run a series for 8 years would already have one of these. Especially a series that is so concerned about safety and the health of it's drivers. And with the number of drivers that the IRL sends to the hospital, I am truly shocked that they don't already have something like this. How can you run a series like the IRL without these sorts of facilities???? Just more evidence to the "idiot" in "idiot grandson". A facility like this should have been one of the first things he bought.

JoeBob
01-14-04, 05:15 PM
Interest in the Mobile Medical Unit is interesting not because they didn't have one before, but because you really only need one for a street race. You don't really need the mobile hospital for oval races, (or even a road course race) because the tracks have have infield care centers with equivalent facilities.

The same could be said for the timing and scoring equipment. Permanant facilities already have most of that in place. You'd only need to bring your own to a place that doesn't normally host a race. (Granted, you might use yours in place of a track's, but you don't have to.)

In an article today Paul Gentilozzi speculated that the IRL was interested in purchasing just enough to ensure that OWRS doesn't get what they need to put on a series in 2004.

Ziggy
01-14-04, 05:23 PM
What they really need is a bunch of catchers mits for the fans in the first twenty or so rows of seats.

Or they could do it cheap, and just pass out butterfly nets

Plexiglass shields with the Hulman Family Crest??????

Ziggy

RichK
01-14-04, 05:45 PM
What they really need is a bunch of catchers mits for the fans in the first twenty or so rows of seats.

Or they could do it cheap, and just pass out butterfly nets

Plexiglass shields with the Hulman Family Crest??????

Ziggy

HAHAHAHAHA!

Don Quixote
01-14-04, 06:29 PM
If they have a more sophisticated timing and scoring system, won't that make it harder for them to cheat certain drivers out of certain race wins, if you know what I mean.

JLMannin
01-15-04, 12:40 PM
If they have a more sophisticated timing and scoring system, won't that make it harder for them to cheat certain drivers out of certain race wins, if you know what I mean.

WRONG! Caution periods begin at the moment Brian Barnhart thinks about going yellow. Reviewing the tapes and scoring information would be a great asset in assisting Brian to select the best time to retroactively initiate the caution period.

jonovision_man
01-15-04, 01:16 PM
It makes a lot of sense for IRL to be checking out the asset sale.

TG's just looking out for his own company and series. If he can pick up some stuff he needs for cheap, it might offset some of the losses he is taking supporting his series.

He'd be a pretty negligent business owner if he DIDN'T check it out, don't you think?

jono

mapguy
01-15-04, 02:20 PM
It makes a lot of sense for IRL to be checking out the asset sale.

TG's just looking out for his own company and series. If he can pick up some stuff he needs for cheap, it might offset some of the losses he is taking supporting his series.

He'd be a pretty negligent business owner if he DIDN'T check it out, don't you think?

jono

Nice try. Honestly, why would he need C^RT's hard assets? C^RT's Med Trailer? They already have one that is pretty much equivalent to what C^RT has, plus all the ovals they race on has a full medical facility. Doesn't pass the sniff test. Timing systems? C'mon, like none of the ovals they race on don't have timing systems? C^RT's timing systems are for street courses.

The idiotGrandson does not need any of C^RT's hard assets. There is one reason and one reason only that he wants to buy those and that is to eliminate the competition.

Chaos
01-15-04, 03:31 PM
The idiotGrandson does not need any of C^RT's hard assets. There is one reason and one reason only that he wants to buy those and that is to eliminate the competition.

This happens in the business world everyday.

jonovision_man
01-15-04, 03:40 PM
This happens in the business world everyday.

Absolutely.

He's lost a lot of money propping up the IRL, he doesn't need this to be prolonged any further. Last thing he needs is OWRS coming in with new money trying to rebuild the competition.

If he can spend a few million, get some of those CART assets for cheap AND help put a "nail in the coffin", what has he possibly got to lose? I guess any chance of CART fans watching the IRL, but from the sounds of the people here there's no chance of the die-hards watching anyway.

I guess we'll know very soon... :-)

jono

RacinM3
01-15-04, 04:24 PM
TG's just trying to eliminate a competitor.

It's such a smart thing to do, he probably won't do it.

cartcanuck
01-15-04, 04:30 PM
Certainly, most business people would likely do exactly the same thing...and why not? If the IRL was in poor condition and they had something CART wanted, I'm sure we'd be there picking the bones dry too.

But where's TG been for the past 6 months? I would think that if he really wanted anything he would have been there doing due diligence much sooner. At this point he's only really doing it to stink things up.

Don Quixote
01-15-04, 04:48 PM
TG's just bringing his hammer to work, that's all. And alienating a few more of his dwindling number of fans in the process.

jonovision_man
01-15-04, 05:22 PM
Certainly, most business people would likely do exactly the same thing...and why not? If the IRL was in poor condition and they had something CART wanted, I'm sure we'd be there picking the bones dry too.

IMS? :)

jono

cartcanuck
01-15-04, 06:07 PM
IMS? :)

jono

Wouldn't that be sweet irony in a couple of years if OWRS/CART were in a position to buy IMS!! :rofl: It's a fantasy, but I'd love to see poor Georgieboy cry as he handed over the keys. But I'm pretty sure NASCAR and the France's will beat everyone to the punch.

Chief
01-15-04, 06:20 PM
If TG had the guts to admit he was wrong, turning over the keys would be the right thing to do.