PDA

View Full Version : Sit down, Fat Lady...

Lizzerd
01-14-04, 01:09 AM
We gots lots of fight left in us. (http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/111170-8937-094.html)

Paul Gentilozzi said Tuesday that he and Open Wheel Racing Series partners Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven emerged from two days of meetings prepared to do and spend whatever is necessary to get their offer accepted by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Indianapolis.

This is the kind of stuff that made this dull day bright in the end. You go, Paul.

"Obviously, it caught me by surprise since Tony told me months ago he didn't plan to get involved," Gentilozzi said. "He obviously has one thing in mind: to close it down and get rid of the competition. This 11th-hour involvement doesn't seem very honorable to me."

Come on, Paul. You called this guy a friend. You said you had talked about a unified series with him. You didn't see the snake in the grass all along? I love ya, Paul, but I hope you realize now that you were dancing in the Devil's den if you ever thought TG was an honorable man.

But IRL vice president Fred Nation said the IRL can't kill something that technically is already dead.

"CART's already out of business and has announced its intention not to run the series next year," he said.

Come on, Fred, where the he11 did you hear that? There is a schedule, and teams on board. "intention not to run?" You're into Tony's stash again, aren't you?

rocket
01-14-04, 01:19 AM
Finally good to hear something firsthand from the 3 amigos. Maybe settle things down a little bit...poor Racechic was in a tizzy yesterday ;)

manic mechanic
01-14-04, 01:29 AM
Evidently, PG never learned the BIG lesson from Jacques Cousteau:

When you choose to swim with sharks, you may very well get bit on the @$$!

Here's to hopin that the judge sees through the "power play" and looks out for the best interests of the shareholders (and the fans too!).

manic

KLang
01-14-04, 07:56 AM
This turn of events might be a good thing if Gentilozzi and friends come out of this deal with the knowledge that TG can't be trusted. Hopefully he'll stop with the merger talk now.

pchall
01-14-04, 01:23 PM
So, there is still one small hope that real racing and real sport will survive....

WickerBill
01-14-04, 01:41 PM
There never was much hope. Only a fool's hope.

Turn7
01-14-04, 02:09 PM
CART is gone, Champ Cars are likely gone but, not for good. There hasn't been a time in the last 30 years that there hasn't been two organizations or at least two organizations in the planning stages that target the rear engined winged formula cars in North America.

Whether or not Champ Cars hit the streets this year, next year or whenever, I'll be willing to watch anything other than an IMS based series.

It will be here sooner or later. If not, I'll put on my huckleberry hound outfit and head to the nearest NASCAR facility that doesn't have an IRL race.

Accipiter
01-14-04, 02:22 PM
"Obviously, it caught me by surprise since Tony told me months ago he didn't plan to get involved," Gentilozzi said. "He obviously has one thing in mind: to close it down and get rid of the competition. This 11th-hour involvement doesn't seem very honorable to me."

Well, it seems Paul has learned his lesson. Now he'll be able to move forward in a realistic fashion.

racer2c
01-14-04, 02:23 PM
There never was much hope. Only a fool's hope.

Yes Gandalf. That is correct. :)

racer2c
01-14-04, 05:25 PM
So has this all boilded down to the Battle of the Deepest Wallet?

JoeBob
01-14-04, 05:40 PM
So has this all boilded down to the Battle of the Deepest Wallet?

In a way, it has been that from the start.

nissan gtp
01-14-04, 07:47 PM
PG's comments made me more confident that things will go well for Champ Car.

Time to stuff Toney and the Bork-Warmer trophy into Mt. Doom.

JoeBob
01-15-04, 02:06 PM
Interesting press release from OWRS:

LANSING, Mich. (Jan 14, 2004) – Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC (“OWRS”) partners today indicated that they are not concerned by the information that the Indy Racing League (“IRL”) has recently expressed an interest in the CART, Inc. (“CART”) assets.

On Dec. 30, 2003, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Frank J. Otte established a timeline to complete the CART asset purchase proceedings. The court approved the procedure submitted by CART to sell its assets and accepted the OWRS proposal to purchase said assets as a “qualified bid.” Any other parties interested in submitting competing bids must do so no later than Jan. 23, and the court will render a final decision with regard to the OWRS proposal on Jan. 28.

“My understanding is that the IRL filed and signed a non-disclosure agreement with CART that gives them the right to examine the documents for the CART asset purchase as put forth by the court,” explained Paul Gentilozzi, an OWRS partner and owner of Rocketsports Racing. “It’s not unexpected that other organizations would come forward to review the assets and documents as we’re all in the motorsports business.

“We’ve spent six months to acquire a thorough understanding of the situation and develop a business plan for the successful operation of the series. We are steadfast in our dedication and commitment to continue the Champ Car World Series for the millions of loyal open-wheel racing fans throughout North America and beyond,” concluded Gentilozzi.

Said Kevin Kalkhoven, an OWRS partner and co-owner of PK Racing, “I doubt that the IRL would put in a bid in order to continue the series. In my opinion, their desire would be to kill it. The result would be many hundreds of Americans out of work, depriving two million fans of the opportunity of watching some of the greatest racing in the world and showcasing a great historical American motor racing series. I would sum it up as the IRL wants to bury – OWRS wants to build; that’s the difference.”

Kalkhoven added, “Any offer to acquire specific race assets without assuming all of the contracts as in the OWRS proposal is unlikely to beat the OWRS offer because it would not take on all of the liabilities associated with those contracts.”

The 2004 Champ Car World Series racing season is slated to begin April 18 with its 22nd running of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Reigning Champ Car Drivers’ Champion Paul Tracy will return to defend his 2003 Long Beach win.

Chief
01-15-04, 06:16 PM
KK has drawn a line in the sand. Judge Otte has only one decision to make, the series must go on, with OWRS in charge.

racer2c
01-28-04, 09:13 PM
Today I am a happy fool! What a time this has been, eh?

pchall
01-28-04, 09:37 PM
Which way back to the Shire?

anait
01-28-04, 09:52 PM
Which way back to the Shire?

As long as none of us is planning to sail off to the Grey Havens anytime soon!! :eek: :D