PDA

View Full Version : Autoweek

rabbit
01-12-04, 05:45 PM
IRL could buy CART assets (http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=02428703)

(14:32 Jan. 12, 2004)
IRL could buy CART assets

Indy Racing League officials confirmed the rumor the league is looking at entering a competing bid to buy CART's assets. "We're a racing company, and they have racing equipment for sale," an official said. He added that a decision will be made on or before the Jan. 23 deadline for alternative bids (AW, Jan. 12).

What kind of "equipment" might the league be interested in? In addition to things such as pace cars and technical equipment, the league might specifically be interested in road-racing sanctioning agreements. Many IRL team owners are in agreement that the league needs to go road racing sooner rather than later. CART holds races in Long Beach, Canada and Mexico, all places the IRL feels it needs to be.

The IRL has not budged publicly on its statement that it hasn't found the right road-course opportunity yet. But with Elkhart Lake officials balking in court at the CART moves, it is fair to say the Road America course is, like Mid-Ohio, one of the leading candidates for a fall race this season. The IRL's new chassis update kit includes road-course pieces.

Turn7
01-12-04, 06:14 PM
I think the mobile hospital is something that they need.

nz_climber
01-12-04, 09:59 PM
The news even made it to the nz herald

story (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3543325&thesection=sport&thesubsection=latest)

and yes there is mention of the hospital!

RaceChic
01-12-04, 11:21 PM
See this at PaddockTalk............. (http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=89) :shakehead :( :cry:

nrc
01-13-04, 12:19 AM
I haven't followed the details as closely this off season, but it seems to me that OWRS would have considered this as a possibility when they made the move to go bankruptcy instead of buyout. If they didn't consider it in their planning they've got no business running the series anyway.

The funny thing is that the lemmings can no longer pretend that George doesn't care about CART. I've always said that one series with good mixture of road courses and ovals was what I wanted. But I'm not interested in a series where Tony George writes the script and his toadies sweep the human debris under the rug after each race.

nz_climber
01-13-04, 12:32 AM
I haven't followed the details as closely this off season, but it seems to me that OWRS would have considered this as a possibility when they made the move to go bankruptcy instead of buyout. If they didn't consider it in their planning they've got no business running the series anyway.

The funny thing is that the lemmings can no longer pretend that George doesn't care about CART. I've always said that one series with good mixture of road courses and ovals was what I wanted. But I'm not interested in a series where Tony George writes the script and his toadies sweep the human debris under the rug after each race.

Im with nrc on this one, a mixture would be good, but if those crapwagons and tg involed then im out

fourrunner
01-13-04, 01:34 AM
Last I looked FANS were not on the Asset Purchase List!

At least THIS Fan isn't!!

Lizzerd
01-13-04, 02:37 AM
THIS fan will not follow a series run by TG. He and his minions will not be in charge of any racing series I want anything to do with. If TG thinks he will draw a crowd in Toronto, he can forget it. Won't happen. (Back me up here, my Canuck friends). Likewise the other Canadian events. Same with RA and M-O. Crowds will suck. Fans at those tracks are FANS of CART. Not EVENT fans. Long Beach, I can't say... I would guess that there are a good amount of event fans there. Could happen. Tell me if I'm wrong, SoCals. Mexico, I don't know about that either. If there are Mexicans on the grid, it might be no problem for them paying to see slugs piloted by there coutrymen. Help me out here too, my South-of-the-border friends.

Bottom line is that if TG et al are planning a buyout of CART, it is only for the purpose of killing CART.

rocket
01-13-04, 06:49 AM
Pretty much if TG has anything to say about how it's run, I don't want any part of it. He's already proven how he can "fix" things. I'll just follow ALMS and F1 a little closer, and if I want to see ovals, I'lll watch the tintops...they do have a few good races once you get by the Boogity Boogity thang :saywhat:

jonovision_man
01-13-04, 08:47 AM
THIS fan will not follow a series run by TG. He and his minions will not be in charge of any racing series I want anything to do with. If TG thinks he will draw a crowd in Toronto, he can forget it. Won't happen. (Back me up here, my Canuck friends).

I bet if you stood outside the Molson Indy and asked "are you about to watch an Indy Racing League race?" most would say "yes!".

There are a lot of casual fans, and I'd wager most people in the crowd don't follow CART at all once it leaves town. Lots of corporate give-aways... as long as the Canadians are there (ie. Paul Tracy), I doubt the crowd would drop more than 15-20%... maybe a little more with the Americans out of the picture, there are a lot of US visitors in town for the Indy who may not make the trek.

IRL can have artificial racing on an oval, but it's next to impossible for them to screw up road racing, isn't it? :fingerscrossed:

Assuming this news of a preliminary look at CART's assets turns into something more, of course.

jono

cartcanuck
01-13-04, 11:07 AM
IRL can have artificial racing on an oval, but it's next to impossible for them to screw up road racing, isn't it? :fingerscrossed:

You would hope so, but imagine a group of crapwagons lumbering around a street course or road course. NASCAR does it on road courses and they look awkward. I don't think the IRL will look much better. So, yeah, given the opportunity, I think the IRL will screw up road racing too. At which point we'll all be cheering for a couple more F1 races in North America before long.

But you make a very good point about casual fans, corporate give aways, etc. In general, they don't know what they're watching and would be just as happy seeing Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson on the track as they are seeing champ cars. Put Paul Tracy in a tin top in Toronto, and you'll likely see attendance RISE. Put him in a crapwagon and you'll lose some of us hardcore fans, but the casual and corporate seats will still be filled.

But the IRL will lose many more of their hardcore fans, and hardcore champcar fans will also stay away. These are the people who attend more than one race a year, follow the series closely, buy the swag and die casts, etc. You can't build a series and make it profitable off a bunch of casual fans. It will take a few years before the New Look IRL would be able to really build a fan base again.

jonovision_man
01-13-04, 11:13 AM
You would hope so, but imagine a group of crapwagons lumbering around a street course or road course. NASCAR does it on road courses and they look awkward. I don't think the IRL will look much better. So, yeah, given the opportunity, I think the IRL will screw up road racing too. At which point we'll all be cheering for a couple more F1 races in North America before long.

They would indeed look awkward at first, but I'd imagine the chassis builders would get their collective heads around it. Maybe the specs would have to change a little too... they certainly have enough downforce for the corners, but they would look pretty pokey compared to the Champcars.

And they don't sound as nice. ;)

I wouldn't be at all opposed to another F1 race... especially in Toronto. :D :) :)

jono

WickerBill
01-13-04, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't be at all opposed to another F1 race... especially in Toronto. :D :) :)

jono

I'm in.

racer2c
01-13-04, 11:48 AM
There are only two issues regarding a 'merge' or buyout, what have you, that will keep me from being a 'fan'. 1) Tony George as the 'leader'. 2) Crapwagons as the cars.

JoeBob
01-13-04, 11:57 AM
I wonder if they'd do a deal where they operate CART as a seperate entity, using existing rules and equipment for 2004, and then "relaunch" with a new "best of both worlds" series for 2005, combining the strongest events from 2004.

Since OWRS is putting together a bid for pretty much everything, IMS would have to do the same. I don't see them wanting to shake up their entire series this close to the start of the season. Operating CART as is for 2004 would be a lot easier.

As for the cars/engines, Honda and Toyota are calling the shots, and I doubt they'd go for vastly underpowered cars road racing. They've gotten everything they wanted thus far, and an adjustment to the formula for better road racing can't be far behind. Along with that would be a cutting of the cookie cutters. There would be no need to race at Texas twice, nor would there be a need for Nashville, Kentucky, or some of the other sparsely attended cookie cutter races.

I'm not ready to say, "This will be great." I will say, "If done right, it might not be too bad." The question is whether or not it will be done right. Looking at the resumes of all involved, I don't have high hopes.

flobee1kenobi
01-13-04, 12:12 PM

Last I heard, they dont handle ovals too good either(Renna)
this whole thing makes me very suspicious of TG and his motives(like I wasnt before!)
If IRL runs at M-O, I will not be there. Probly won't go again.
If M-O wasn't making enough $$$ they should've raised prices, I'd still pay!
And if TG thinks CART fans will suddenly become IRL fans he's smokin crack! :saywhat:

JT265
01-13-04, 12:14 PM
Like 4 said, I ain't for sale. And I agree with JoeBob, done right it MAY work, but I have my doubts. And further, if I was IMS, I'd scrap their engine and crapwagon program straight away, thus solving the flying crapwagon problem, Honduh and Yoda have 2.65's on the shelf, and so does Chebbie (Cossie, for the right $$$ of course)

cartcanuck
01-13-04, 12:23 PM
You've got that right Racer2C.

JoeBob, you make the point about Toyota and HOnda calling the shots, and I have to agree with you in a big way. The scary thing here is that Toyota and Honda could end up being the saviours of open wheels road racing in America!! :eek: If TG get's his hands on CART, as has been said there would have to be some tweeking done to the engines and the cars, and neither manufacturer will want their cars to look crappy on the track. So they could end up build a decent car and engine over time. The only thing is, will the series last long enough for them to do this? The way that fans are being alienated on both sides of the equation, there may not be anyone left to watch them try.

All I want is for OWRS to put a good product on the street and road courses, Ford to keep on keeping-on with the engine package, and for us to have the quality of racing we had last year. I have little faith that TG and his cronie's will be able to make a product that anyone will like if they buy CART and try to make a bigger series out of it. As you said, their track records don't make for much confidence. With TG in charge, I just see him spending more and more money to keep his hobby afloat with little success. I firmly believe that OWRS could rebuilt CART and make a good success of OW racing on streets and roads. So in the long run that's what I hope to see.

RacinM3
01-13-04, 12:48 PM
I, like the rest of you guys, will not be counted as part of the "equipment" the irl is looking to purchase.

If this goes down, it's ALMS all the way, baby!

pchall
01-13-04, 01:28 PM
Last I looked FANS were not on the Asset Purchase List!

At least THIS Fan isn't!!

Amen.

I think the misguided notion that the IRL would inherit what's left of the road/street racing earth after Tony George scorched open wheel racing is what drives IMS/IRL these days. They know that an all oval series will die. Welcome to 1978, you morons.

cart7
01-13-04, 01:32 PM
There are only two issues regarding a 'merge' or buyout, what have you, that will keep me from being a 'fan'. 1) Tony George as the 'leader'. 2) Crapwagons as the cars.
As for me, I'd also add a predominately ovals format. It would have to be at least 50/50 ovals vs. roads and streets along with dumping the fugly earl cars and TG backing off as leader to get me interested.

jonovision_man
01-13-04, 02:38 PM
I'm not ready to say, "This will be great." I will say, "If done right, it might not be too bad." The question is whether or not it will be done right. Looking at the resumes of all involved, I don't have high hopes.

Don't you mean "egos"? :rolleyes:

I'm with you, I won't dismiss it out of hand just because TG is involved, he's at the mercy of the team owners, manufacturers, and sponsors and there are a lot of good people there. You never know... having one series is probably very appealing for most involved.

jono

JoeBob
01-13-04, 03:24 PM
If I meant "egos," I would have written egos. Take a look at who still be around to help grow the sport. Then ask yourself, "What has each of these people done in the past to grow the sport?"

pchall
01-13-04, 03:49 PM
If I meant "egos," I would have written egos. Take a look at who still be around to help grow the sport. Then ask yourself, "What has each of these people done in the past to grow the sport?"

The problem is that these guys have an ego larger than the sport. And these guys depend on a fat wallet to support their egoes...

No wonder they sing "NASCAR über Alles" breakfast, noon, and night.

jonovision_man
01-13-04, 04:14 PM

Are you talking about Tony/Gentillozi/Forsythe? If Tony wants CART, you can bet there will be other voices in the mix, namely Honda, Toyota, Penske, Ganassi... etc... he can't fundamentally change his series without making sure the manufacturers and teams will stick around.

Tony runs the show, but the show has wandered from where his "vision" started... which leads me to believe he's not calling the shots as much as he'd like to be. If he were, would they be racing in Japan, with only half a dozen Americans?

jono

JoeBob
01-13-04, 04:26 PM
Are you talking about Tony/Gentillozi/Forsythe? If Tony wants CART, you can bet there will be other voices in the mix, namely Honda, Toyota, Penske, Ganassi... etc... he can't fundamentally change his series without making sure the manufacturers and teams will stick around.

I'm talking about all of the above. What have TG, Gentilozzi, Forsythe, Honda, Toyota, Penske, Ganassi, etc done to grow the sport?

I think you'll find they've done remarkably little, unless you count "spending money until your competition can't afford to compete" as some sort of accomplishment. They've pretty much all done that - but that doesn't give me hope for a brighter future. Just like Wil E. Coyote didn't know what to do when he finally got the Road Runner, TG will have no idea what to do once he's finally spent CART into the ground.

Ziggy
01-13-04, 05:05 PM
There was never a "vision" to begin with. Just a dream of running open wheel racing.

right into the ground....Tony George is a moron

Ziggy

racer2c
01-13-04, 05:43 PM
... TG will have no idea what to do once he's finally spent CART into the ground.

He'll be convinced that the next logical progression will be to have the countries most popular series run the 500.

fourrunner
01-13-04, 07:03 PM
Just a wild guess A Drop of 15-20% in attendance at most any well attended Race Circuit, would probably take the Promoter from Black to Red Ink!

So from success to failure! "The IRL Standard of Excellence" ;)

jonovision_man
01-13-04, 10:18 PM
I'm talking about all of the above. What have TG, Gentilozzi, Forsythe, Honda, Toyota, Penske, Ganassi, etc done to grow the sport?

I think you'll find they've done remarkably little, unless you count "spending money until your competition can't afford to compete" as some sort of accomplishment. They've pretty much all done that - but that doesn't give me hope for a brighter future. Just like Wil E. Coyote didn't know what to do when he finally got the Road Runner, TG will have no idea what to do once he's finally spent CART into the ground.

I would suggest that apart from TG, the rest have contributed quite a bit. It was never altruistic, they're in it for their own ends, but I've enjoyed watching the teams those guys and all the other team owners have put out there...

Take a guy like Penske - his team is one almost everyone loves to hate, because they are so good. The reason many tune in is to see if someone can take those Penske guys down, and when they do it's a blast. Every series needs a villian... :-)

There are a lot of competing interests in CART and IRL, but I don't see that as a problem. Manufacturers will always be looking out for themselves, same with teams, same with promoters... but everyone wins if the series is successful, and I think all those guys can get it there.

jono