PDA

View Full Version : PKR and Salo back in action at Laguna

Barton
01-09-04, 06:49 PM
PK Racing confirmed today that they have scheduled a test for returning driver Mika Salo on January 26-27 at Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca, in preparation for the upcoming 2004 Champ Car World Series season.

Salo, who joined the PK Racing squad for the final four races of 2003, will pilot the #27 PK Racing Ford-Cosworth Lola during the two-day test in order to build upon the information and teamwork he and the crew established last year.

Making an immediate impact upon the Champ Car scene, Salo scored two top-five finishes in those final four races. His brief season was highlighted by a third-place podium finish at the Grand Prix Americas in Miami, his second race in a Champ Car.

"I am really looking forward to getting back in the car again after a few months off," Salo said. "It has been nice spending time with my family over the holidays, but it is time to get back to work and focus on competing for the championship this season. We will pick up where we left off last year, where I really felt we had the car and the potential to win in Australia."

PK Racing General Manager Russ Cameron stated, "The upcoming test at Laguna is a critical one. Last season, we were behind from the start because we had a rookie driver, and we barely had a team together in time for Spring Training."

"This year," he continued, "will be different. We have had a full year to gel as a team, and we have a driver with experience who is eager to compete and win in Champ Cars. Beginning our testing program earlier will give us that much more of an advantage in the coming season, which looks to be just as competitive as the last one, if not more so."

Founded in January 2003, Indianapolis-based PK Racing fields a one-car effort in the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford. The team is co-owned by successful motorsports businessman Craig Pollock and high-tech industrialist Kevin Kalkhoven and is managed by Champ Car veteran Russell Cameron.

SteveH
01-09-04, 07:33 PM
I'm really looking forward to Mika running an entire season. He jumped in the deep end last year and fared pretty well. :thumbup:

RTKar
01-09-04, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by SteveH
I'm really looking forward to Mika running an entire season. He jumped in the deep end last year and fared pretty well. :thumbup:

Got to agree, I think he's a talented driver who's slipped through the cracks somehow. I still think he should have taken the checkers during his stint at Ferrari instead of allowing Irvine by...screw team orders...look where it got him.

jonovision_man
01-09-04, 09:30 PM
Great to see some activity - any activity! :)

Salo's a decent driver, certainly better than most of the 2003 CART grid, I'm sure he'll hold his own in 2004. If the team can put some good machinery under him, he could easily be a podium regular.

Still a one-car effort from PK?

jono

Lizzerd
01-09-04, 09:47 PM
At the time Papis was falling out of favor with PK at Road America last year, I ran into a buddy of mine at the track who knows Pollock well. He said that the team was getting frustrated with Max because of his inability to provide feedback during practice/testing. He was in the pits with the team earlier in the day (Friday?) and just after Max went back on track, he overheard Pollock as he turned to someone else on the crew and said "I can have Mika Salo here tomorrow..." Ironically, Max posted a fourth place finish in the race and stayed with the team for two more races.

Anyway, it's good to see SOMETHING happening... Can't wait for the racing. The off season really sucks.

Cart4Live2003
01-12-04, 05:04 PM
hehe so max stayed his execution for 2 more races.. hehe.. personally I like Mika.. he's a great driver and a great guy.. He should of been in the seat from the start.

Dougrun
01-22-04, 06:34 PM
Dear Doug:

Thank you for your inquiry to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The testing
occurring on January 26-27 will be open to the public but will not be to the
degree as in 2003. If the County of Monterey decides to charge entry, the
fee should be approximately $5 per vehicle. Paddock access will be at the
discretion of the teams.

There is no schedule as to what teams will be on track at what times. Since
Newman-Haas has rented the track and invited other teams to join them, it is
at their convenience when cars will be allowed on track.