PDA

View Full Version : We've come to take your liver.

RichK
01-08-04, 04:07 PM
LINK (http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2004/organdonor.asp)

Jan. 7 – The American Motorcyclist Association has expressed its outrage over a proposed law in California that could force some motorcyclists to be organ donors against their wishes.

The proposal is an amendment to Assembly Bill 1200. The original proposal would allow adults 18 and older to decide whether to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. The amended version states that those who chose not to wear a helmet "is deemed to have consented to the making of an anatomical gift under this act."

AMA Western States Representative Nick Haris said that while the AMA supported the bill in its original form, it can't support the measure with the new amendment.

"Riders who wish to donate their organs should be under no undue pressure to do so," Haris said. "This provision makes a mockery of the spirit and kindness of voluntary organ donation."

Assemblyman John Longville (D-San Bernardino), left, amended the bill to require motorcyclists who wish to ride without a helmet to be organ donors. To express your opposition to the amendment, go to the California section of StateWatch at the Rapid Response Center to send an e-mail. Or you can send a letter to: Assemblyman John Longville, State Capitol, P.O. Box 942849, Sacramento, CA 94249-0062.

A New Mexico lawmaker introduced similar legislation about a year ago and quickly withdrew the proposal after the AMA mustered opposition to the bill from motorcyclists around the nation.

lone_groover
01-08-04, 04:52 PM
No thanks on the biker livers, unless they're gonna use them as loofas. Brains might be more useful, though; do some nifty Pineal Gland resonator-type experiments.

RaceGrrl
01-08-04, 05:19 PM
"Right. Can we have your liver then?"

"Oh.... all right"

FTG
01-08-04, 07:11 PM
I used to think people shouldn't be forced to wear helmets if they didn't want to. It's their right.

But now I believe that cops have a right not to be forced to shovel little pieces of brain into a body bag just because someone is too stupid to wear a helmet.

nz_climber
01-08-04, 07:36 PM
helmets are compulsary here so not really a problem (who wants a used liver anyway, why not just get a new one) :rolleyes:

lone_groover
01-08-04, 07:39 PM
RaceGrrl, you nerd!

:)

RichK
01-08-04, 07:42 PM
We have a helmet law in California too, that's not really my point in posting the above proposed bill.

My point is that a lawmaker wants to take my body parts without my or my family's consent. I don't like that!

This violation of privacy is a slippery slope. Who are the next lawbreakers to have their body parts taken? What's keeping the organ police from running me down and tossing my helmet in the bushes because they like the way my butt looks?

For the record, I always wear a helmet while riding and cycling, and I am already signed up as a donor if I croak. I'd like to keep that as a choice.

WickerBill
01-08-04, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by RichK
What's keeping the organ police from running me down and tossing my helmet in the bushes because they like the way my butt looks?

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Wow.

Methanolandbrats
01-08-04, 08:36 PM
A law like that, proposed in California? Who woulda imagined that.

Railbird
01-08-04, 08:39 PM
do they realy want my liver?

I'm an organ donor, but then again so is Keith Richards

Hink
01-08-04, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

I always write "You don't want my liver." on the back of my DL.

This part about ripping people's organs out without consent is really ghoulish. Normally in most cases such things wouldn't be a bother. This is getting crazy.

mapguy
01-08-04, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

I figure between me and 'Lock we can support the liver donation gig for about a year.

rocket
01-09-04, 12:14 AM
I don't really have an opinion on the organ donation thing, But what I can't understand is that the government passes laws that force you to wear your seatbelt in a car to protect yourself, but don't require the motorcyclists to wear helmets.

I also don't understand how they can let the police pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt either...seems to gestapo like. What it really breaks down to is you can be pulled over at any time now just because a cop THOUGHT he saw you driving without a seatbelt on. Since when has my ability to operate my vehicle safely hinged on whether or not I wear my Mother f'n seatbelt. It affects no one but me. What I'd like to know is when they are gonna crack down on the motorists that eat, drink, put on makeup, talk on the phone, read etc. when they are driving...they pose a much larger threat to public safety than whether or not someone is wearing their godam seatbelt. :shakehead

BTW I always wear my seatbelt....ever since the day I was thrown out of a car going 80 when it flipped...funny thing is I would have broken my neck had I had a belt on, as it is I didn't break anything, just lots of bumps and bruises,so not wearing it worked in my favor that time.
One in a million though.

RaceGrrl
01-09-04, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by lone_groover
RaceGrrl, you nerd!

I'm not a nerd, I'm a dork. :p

Foxman
01-09-04, 10:12 AM
Sometimes the morbid side of me wonders if they would give up on trying to save/revive you sooner if they knew some young kid was waiting on one of your organs.... No way should they make it mandatory, I think they'll have one heck of a time getting that to pass.

nrc
01-09-04, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
RaceGrrl, you nerd!

No, I'm the nerd. RaceGrrl is the dork.

We decided not to have kids because we couldn't agree on whether they would be raised nerd or dork.

Joe in LA
01-09-04, 01:10 PM
I rode in CA before the helmet law passed, and always wore a helmet. I have no problem with the helmet law, but find this "compromise" ridiculous. Either require the helmets or don't, but this "voluntary" donation scheme is macabre.

Funny thing about the helmet law--I had a friend who always wore a helmet before the law, but had a libertarian bent. As soon as the law passed, but before it went into force, he stopped wearing his helmet because he didn't like knowing he would be required to do it in the future.

RaceChic
01-09-04, 08:38 PM
I work in an intensive care unit that takes care of people after transplant. I can't imagine approaching the family and saying.....

"Sorry your loved one is brain dead. We will be taking him/her off the machines now, but we have to wisk them away to the operating room to take their organs......What is that you ask?......No sorry.....it is the law because he/she never wore a helmet.....You don't believe in organ donation?....It is against your religion?.....He/she wouldn't want this?.....Sorry.....It is the law!" :shakehead :rolleyes:

Although I think it is crazy as heck to not wear a helmet..... this potential new law is just plain ludicrous!!!! :eek: