PDA

View Full Version : Tug McGraw passes!!!

fourrunner
01-06-04, 12:00 AM
Cool Guy... Brain Cancer finally took its toll

Last we heard 2 weeks ago he was getting the upper hand on the disease...

One very funny guy...he always had a joke during the worst of it...

Philly is in mourning Tonite!!! The City Loved him till the end!!

SteveH
01-06-04, 12:15 AM
damn, will never forget him walking toward the mound, slapping his thigh with his glove. Helluva a pitcher.

RIP Tug. :(

indyfan31
01-06-04, 04:02 PM
He's the father of Tim McGraw???? Who knew?

I have one memory of Tug McGraw. After watching a home-run ball go foul, he let out a breath and tapped his chest as if to say "whew! that was close".

RichK
01-06-04, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by indyfan31
He's the father of Tim McGraw???? Who knew?

Yes, I believe it was an estranged relationship for a long time. My wife is a country music fan (:eek: ), so I pick things like this up when CMT is on in the background.

RIP Tug.

fourrunner
01-06-04, 07:28 PM
The Philadelphia Inquirer today had a few "McGrawism's" from various interviews over the Years...

He was asked to compare Grass & Astroturf after it was first layed in Veterans Stadium...

"I dunno,I never smoked Astroturf"

When asked how he was holding up as a relief pitcher towards the end of his career...

" I have no trouble with the 12 inches between my elbow and palm. It's the 7 inches between my ears that's bent"

About young kids playing Baseball

" Kids should practice autographing baseball's. This is a skill that's often overlooked in Little League"

On what he'll do with the money after signing his contract extension with the Phillies

" Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish Whiskey. The other 10% I'll probably waste."

And about having a bad game

"Ten Million years from now, when the sun burns out, and the earth is just a frozen iceball hurtling through space, nobody's going to care whether or not I got this guy out!

and of course

"Ya Gotta Believe"

Great and funny man!

RTKar
01-06-04, 08:16 PM
What a bummer. He's from an era when baseball used to be fun. There are too few like him these days.