PDA

View Full Version : Testing Pics

nrc
01-26-03, 04:41 AM
rasefan on 7G posted some great pics from testing.

http://www.phototiming.com/pics/laguna/

Check out this pic (http://www.phototiming.com/pics/laguna/PICT0009.JPG) and look at the shirt of the guy on the far left, closest to the camera. :)

cart7
01-26-03, 10:08 AM
:D I think I saw a guy in one of those shirts in RACER mag. Is that the Visteon nose and side pods in the foreground??

Napoleon
01-26-03, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by nrc
look at the shirt of the guy on the far left, closest to the camera. :)

I guess I am not seeing what your talking about. Could someone help out good old clueless me.

Beentoafew
01-26-03, 11:25 AM
come on Nap.

The guy in the KOOL shirt with 'un' above and 'Michael' below.

pchall
01-26-03, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
I guess I am not seeing what your talking about. Could someone help out good old clueless me.

un
KOOL
Michael

Napoleon
01-26-03, 11:59 AM
On my laptop the picture is sized to fit in the screen so although I can tell that the shirt looks like a Kool shirt, I can not make out the actual text of the shirt.

Warlock!
01-26-03, 12:52 PM
I make lame excuses like that too, Nappy, when I don't catch on to jokes right off the bat.

;)

Winter Warlock!

Gurneyflap
01-26-03, 01:56 PM
Oh. So someone is suggesting that Michael is uncool because he decided to swallow his pride for 15 million, or so, $$? NOW I get it! Pride or practicallity? Loyalty or living? Popularity or peace-of-mind? Less or more? Life is filled with decisions...I'm so glad we live where we are free to make them on our own! Kool. Let the REAL racing, sport, season, tracks, teams, cars, (& many) drivers BEGIN! (this anti-political statement brought to you by G-flap, "Movin' on with ChampCar!")

Hurling Frootmig
01-26-03, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Gurneyflap
Oh. So someone is suggesting that Michael is uncool because he decided to swallow his pride for 15 million, or so, $$? NOW I get it! Pride or practicallity? Loyalty or living? Popularity or peace-of-mind? Less or more? Life is filled with decisions...I'm so glad we live where we are free to make them on our own! Kool. Let the REAL racing, sport, season, tracks, teams, cars, (& many) drivers BEGIN! (this anti-political statement brought to you by G-flap, "Movin' on with ChampCar!")

At different points in our lives we are faced with tough decisions that encompass and define our character, loyalty, and or perhaps morals. Michael was able to sell his for 15 million. I think it says a lot about him and the type of person he remains. Personally, I could care less what the wanker does anymore. Frankly, he had a poor season last year that showed that he wasn't up to the high level of competition. I believe he will fare much better against the lesser talent of Eddie Cheaver, Al Unser Jr., Buddy Lazier (if he can get a ride), and Sarah (I'm so sorry) Fisher. Three has beens/never were's and one never will be.

pchall
01-26-03, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Gurneyflap
Oh. So someone is suggesting that Michael is uncool because he decided to swallow his pride for 15 million, or so, $$? NOW I get it!

I think people are more upset with his complete lack of grace and tact in his very noisy exit from CART. The guy spent four months rationalizing his decision in public and never came close to admitting he sold himself and the team to Honda and Tony George.

Have you noticed that Mo Nunn is treated a bit better in champcar forums? Nunn at least went quietly where the money took him.

rabbit
01-26-03, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by pchall
I think people are more upset with his complete lack of grace and tact in his very noisy exit from CART. The guy spent four months rationalizing his decision in public and never came close to admitting he sold himself and the team to Honda and Tony George.

Have you noticed that Mo Nunn is treated a bit better in champcar forums? Nunn at least went quietly where the money took him.

Bingo.

SteveH
01-26-03, 10:14 PM

This deserves another bingo.

spook
01-27-03, 08:50 AM

Not trying to start a quarrel, but just wanted to remind folks that one of the reasons you probably feel that Mikey's exit was "noisier" is that he was constantly ASKED by the media about his reasons for leaving. Over and over and over again. Nunn, god love him, really didn't have as much of the spotlight, so of course his exit seemed quieter.

Just a thought. Don't yell at me.

:)

Napoleon
01-27-03, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by spook
Not trying to start a quarrel, but just wanted to remind folks that one of the reasons you probably feel that Mikey's exit was "noisier" is that he was constantly ASKED by the media about his reasons for leaving.

And he could have answered the questions significantly different and avoided the appearance of using his exit as an opportunity to bash CART. Mikey had complete control over his answers.

spook
01-27-03, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
And he could have answered the questions significantly different and avoided the appearance of using his exit as an opportunity to bash CART. Mikey had complete control over his answers.

When asked if he had tried to put together a CART program, Mikey said that his sponsors wanted to go to the IRL. He also said that he felt that the IRL had more momentum. He said that he wanted to keep the relationship with Honda. He said that he was worried about the future of CART. He said it was a business decision.

I must have a different definition of "bashing" than you do. It's not like MA got up on a podium somewhere and said, "CART SUCKS!!"

Don Quixote
01-27-03, 10:26 AM
Michael who?

RaceGrrl
01-27-03, 10:59 AM
Andretti's exit was completely without class. He just couldn't keep his mouth shut. All he had to do was tell the reporters that he wasn't going to discuss it, but instead, he took every opportunity to complain about the series that made him. Good riddance.

cart7
01-27-03, 11:13 AM
I agree, Racegrrl. As a long time fan of Andretti's, I think a "no comment" would have worked perfectly.

spook
01-27-03, 11:57 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that had MA said, "No comment" versus choosing to be forthcoming and honest, he would be getting JUST as much criticism for being vague and secretive.

mapguy
01-27-03, 12:00 PM
When asked if he had tried to put together a CART program, Mikey said that his sponsors wanted to go to the IRL.

Which sponsors would that be? KOOL? No wait... Motorola? Haven't seen them on any of the cars.

Ohh. I know!

Honda Motor Cars.
Honda Finance.
Honda Motorcycles.

spook
01-27-03, 12:04 PM
Mappy mappy mappy............patience my friend. Stay tuned till Friday night. Sponsors will be shown, in all their glory.

RaceGrrl
01-27-03, 12:09 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that had MA said, "No comment" versus choosing to be forthcoming and honest, he would be getting JUST as much criticism for being vague and secretive.

Andretti was dishonest all along, maybe because he had to lie to himself about his reasons for leaving, so he thought we'd believe his lies too.

All he had to say was, "CART has been great for me and for my career, I've really enjoyed my success here, but it's time for me to move on." He didn't even have enough class to do that, because that would be accepting personal responsibility for his decision, and we know that with Mikey, it's about blaming someone else.

I'm done. Mikey is gone, I don't care what he's doing. There are plenty of great guys in the pics posted on this thread: those are the drivers I'll be watching this year.

pchall
01-27-03, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Andretti was dishonest all along, maybe because he had to lie to himself about his reasons for leaving, so he thought we'd believe his lies too.

All he had to say was, "CART has been great for me and for my career, I've really enjoyed my success here, but it's time for me to move on." He didn't even have enough class to do that, because that would be accepting personal responsibility for his decision, and we know that with Mikey, it's about blaming someone else.

This deserves another rousing chorus of Bingos.

Now if I could only get that stupid kids' song out of my head...

Kiwifan
01-27-03, 02:04 PM
Oh thanks pc, now I've got that tune buzzing too. ;) You're right as is RaceGrrl. Micheal me old mate I know that your comments over the last few months have lost one fan, my teenage son. Even if he had said he was now in the place he wanted to be and left it at that but no.

The photos are still on the wall mate but I reckon if you carry on bad mouthing CART they may just come down. Mario on the other hand still has pride of place (along with pics of Greg but that's another story :( ).

Rusty.

RaceChic
01-28-03, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl

I'm done. Mikey is gone, I don't care what he's doing. There are plenty of great guys in the pics posted on this thread: those are the drivers I'll be watching this year.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Ditto!!! :gomer: ;)

owfan
01-28-03, 04:52 PM
Paul Tracy would agree that Mikey, despite CART spending a great deal of time and money, building him up to be the series main draw showed no class in swallowing his pride for Honda's money.

Me, I think he will have a great time as an owner in the retirement league, a big fish in a tiny little pond, until the shark named Honda tells him there done. Then I hope he gets the same answer Dick Simon got.

Champ Cars will do just fine without him and the others. Three weeks to the checkered flag.

KobySon
01-29-03, 10:43 AM

I must have a different definition of "bashing" than you do. It's not like MA got up on a podium somewhere and said, "CART SUCKS!!"

I understand. That would be true BASHING. I don't even think MA's comments were on the Jack Arute level of (lower case) bashing. Instead, comments like 'the owners all made huge amounts of money from CART and I didn't see didly,' are untruthful and worse dishonorable. CART put him in the position he is in today. He should've exited gracefully. And you have to admit - this exit was anything but graceful.

Anyways, I'm now assuming that the sponsors that he is announcing Friday are ones he had signed long, long ago when he stated that his sponsors wanted to go to the IRL. That interview said sponsors - not Honda if I recall correctly.

Anyone have the link to that? I think it was in autosport.

spook
01-29-03, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by KobySon

Anyways, I'm now assuming that the sponsors that he is announcing Friday are ones he had signed long, long ago when he stated that his sponsors wanted to go to the IRL. That interview said sponsors - not Honda if I recall correctly.

Anyone have the link to that? I think it was in autosport.

You are correct - there will be an official sponsor announcement and unveiling of all four cars' liveries this Friday evening.

slashman
01-29-03, 11:20 AM

AND ANOTHER ONE!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

KobySon
01-29-03, 12:00 PM
You are correct - there will be an official sponsor announcement and unveiling of all four cars' liveries this Friday evening.

:rofl:

Thanks spook! That avoidance was masterful! :D

JLMannin
01-29-03, 12:25 PM

And as a result, Mo Nunn has a bridge back to CART that he may want to cross someday if he were to decide to start another CART team down the road.

For all his acomplishments in CART, I will always remember Micheal as the whiny who always managed to find something or someone to complain about in victory circle. He was a sore looser, and a sore winner. At least Mansell limited his whining to the races he did not win.

John

spook
01-29-03, 05:47 PM
:rofl:

Thanks spook! That avoidance was masterful! :D

What do you mean? You only asked one question in your post and I answered it!!! :confused: :D

JLMannin
01-29-03, 05:55 PM
What do you mean? You only asked one question in your post and I answered it!!! :confused: :D

Current thinking is the sponsors will not be Kool or Motorola, and whiny boy stated that the move was "sponsor driven". He wanted to dogde all acountabilirt about going earl.:p

spook
01-29-03, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
Current thinking is the sponsors will not be Kool or Motorola, and whiny boy stated that the move was "sponsor driven". He wanted to dogde all acountabilirt about going earl.:p

Regardless of who the sponsors are who will be announced Friday, there ARE sponsors. And these sponsor agreements were being worked on in the summer. They wanted an IRL program. So I guess I'm not clear on your point......?

mapguy
01-29-03, 06:07 PM
Regardless of who the sponsors are who will be announced Friday, there ARE sponsors. And these sponsor agreements were being worked on in the summer. They wanted an IRL program. So I guess I'm not clear on your point......?

Clabbergirl?

owfan
01-29-03, 07:20 PM
Wasn't Paul Tracy driving a 7-11 car at Indy? Mikey went where Honda told him to go, end of discussion. The rest is gravy and probably would have followed the Andretti name if he went to dirt bikes.

nrc
01-30-03, 12:25 AM
Ok, my mistake. I started a thread about pictures from a CART test session and pointed out the shirt that someone was wearing at the test because it was amusing. It wasn't my intention for this to become an entirely off topic thread.

Off to see if the thread starter can delete their own thread.:shakehead

The answer is no, you can't even edit a post after 12 hours. :(

Dave99
01-30-03, 02:47 AM
nrc, if it makes you feel better the guy wearing the UNKOOL t-shirt is someone I always see at Laguna Seca and we've now become track buds there. I emailed him the link for that pic so he can now see he's world wide so thanks for noticing it in the first place.

JLMannin
01-30-03, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by owfan
Wasn't Paul Tracy driving a 7-11 car at Indy? Mikey went where Honda told him to go, end of discussion. The rest is gravy and probably would have followed the Andretti name if he went to dirt bikes.

Then a simple statement of "we are committed to Honda and they are committed to us" would have been an appropriate comment. Mikey wanted to blame it on "sponsors" to make him look like a victim being tossed about on the waves of the open wheel storm.

John

spook
01-30-03, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by JLMannin
Then a simple statement of "we are committed to Honda and they are committed to us" would have been an appropriate comment. Mikey wanted to blame it on "sponsors" to make him look like a victim being tossed about on the waves of the open wheel storm.

John

You may recall Barry Green saying the exact same thing the season prior. He said that his team would race in NASCAR if that is where the sponsors said they wanted to go. I've already explained that the sponsors being announced tomorrow wanted an IRL program. They dictated where they wanted to spend their money. Honda is also a factor, certainly, but they are not the ONLY factor - not by a long shot.

KobySon
01-30-03, 11:22 AM
You may recall Barry Green saying the exact same thing the season prior. He said that his team would race in NASCAR if that is where the sponsors said they wanted to go. I've already explained that the sponsors being announced tomorrow wanted an IRL program. They dictated where they wanted to spend their money. Honda is also a factor, certainly, but they are not the ONLY factor - not by a long shot.

That's all I was getting at. I will not say Mikey was not being untruthful again.:saywhat:

seriously, the way you put it, MA was telling the truth all along when he said his "sponsors, not (just) Honda", or apparently KOOL or Motorola wanted him in the IRL.

I think a lot of people here could be cool with that. As long as andretti was telling the truth. It just seemed really fishy to a lot of us that andretti would say "sponsors" wanted it, when it appeared that sponsors didn't exist anymore.

spook
01-30-03, 11:40 AM
That's all I was getting at. I will not say Mikey was not being untruthful again.:saywhat:

seriously, the way you put it, MA was telling the truth all along when he said his "sponsors, not (just) Honda", or apparently KOOL or Motorola wanted him in the IRL.

I think a lot of people here could be cool with that. As long as andretti was telling the truth. It just seemed really fishy to a lot of us that andretti would say "sponsors" wanted it, when it appeared that sponsors didn't exist anymore.

I can understand that people jumped to that conclusion because it was the easiest thing to do. But he was telling the truth. It's no secret that 7-11 is ONE of the sponsors being announced. The relationship with 7-11 dates back to last years 500....and talks about this years program date back that far as well.

nrc
01-30-03, 11:44 AM
OK, here's a thread all about Mikey and his so-called sponsors over in the Other Racing forum where it belongs. Those who really give a rats fuzzy butt about whatever charade Honda decides to put on Mikey's sidepods, please go discuss it there.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=376

Napoleon
01-30-03, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by nrc
OK, here's a thread all about Mikey and his so-called sponsors over in the Other Racing forum where it belongs. Those who really give a rats fuzzy butt about whatever charade Honda decides to put on Mikey's sidepods, please go discuss it there.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=376

Thank you!

nrc
01-30-03, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Dave99.
You're welcome, Nap.
Thanks especially to all the photo posters.