PDA

View Full Version : Annual update to "The Split" webpage.

ChrisB
12-28-03, 02:49 PM
I looked up and noticed the calendar, and Ohmygoodnessgracious... it's late December already! Where did the year go? Time to update the Unofficial History of the Cart/Indy Split (http://www.netaxs.com/~gg1/race/cartirl.htm) webpage.

I decided to go with 3 entries for this year...

Jan 2003: IRL changes the name of it's top series to "IndyCar" after the 6 year waiting period ends. Days later, CART changes the name of it's top series to "ChampCar World Series" to emphasize the term "ChampCar"

May 2003: The number of entrants for Indy drops to the point where there are just enough participants to make a traditional 33-car field. "Bubble Day" becomes "Fill Day".

Dec 2003: After exhausting it's cash reserves to maintain the 2003 season, CART declares bankruptcy. A group of team owners called "Open Wheel Racing Series" (OWRS) steps in to buy some of CART's assets with the intention of starting a new Champcar series.

I had made the first entry after the name changes happened last Jan, and the other two.. well, things were hardly rosy for both series. As before, I'm always open to suggestions.

I'd also want to mention (with modesty and humility) that this webpage is AFAIK going to be featured in the Feb 2004 issue of Car & Driver in edited form as a sidebar to an article they're doing about "the split". Look for it then!

nrc
12-29-03, 01:36 PM
I just hope they don't let Brock Yates edit the sidebar.

Lizzerd
12-29-03, 01:45 PM
I didn't know that was your site, Chris. I saw the link posted on 7G a couple years ago (I think) and have referred to it and referred others to it a number of times. Very nice.

RichK
01-06-04, 07:05 PM
Nice site, Chris. I learned something too:

June 1999: IMS is very close to taking the Indy 500 to the FOX network, when new ABC sports president Howard Katz signs a last-minute TV deal with them.

I didn't know about that. Fox owns Speed, so I wonder what would've happened if Fox had the IRL.

Hink
01-07-04, 04:36 AM
Keep up the page - nice work all along.

nz_climber
01-07-04, 03:01 PM
Nice work, I learnt alot about all the stuff that happend before the split and the factors that contributed the split

My only question is... who let the idiot take control of IMS!! :saywhat: