PDA

View Full Version : Help in finding antique car dealer?

Lizzerd
12-27-03, 09:50 PM
Ok, first the background. I own a 1948 Chevy. It's been garaged since 1976. Re-titled once, from my great aunt to me some 30 years ago. She was the legendary teacher who only drove it to school and back. 50K miles, no rust. Most chrome needs to be re-done, though, and one of the fenders has a good sized (fixable) dent. All original.

I was offered $1200 for it. I was at the Chevrolet dealer yesterday having a duplicate key made for it. He said I would be crazy to accept the offer. I called an antique dealer here in Indy today (Saturday) who said, without seeing the car, it sounded like I should be able to fetch $3500 - $5500 for it. He doesn't buy project cars, though, and couldn't really tell me of anybody who does. There are a couple more in the phone book that I'll call on Monday.

I've searched the internet and found some of the same cars for sale, a site called chevytalk.org, and numerous brokers wanting to sell, but seemingly not to buy a fixer-upper.

My question is, does anybody have any advise? Know anybody who buys and restores cars? Where else can I look?

Thanks in advance...

JT265
12-27-03, 10:10 PM
Lizzerd, I'd put it on EBay with a decent reserve and see what shakes out.

Methanolandbrats
12-27-03, 10:13 PM
Check back issues of Hemmings.

Ziggy
12-27-03, 11:11 PM
Check Hemming's Motor News before you do ANYTHING

If your serious about selling it, then do the research and find out who wants one of this type and model. Hemming's is the only publication who can steer you towards that market.

Find them at better book stores. They are a plain brown wrapper

Without seeing the car, and if the description fits, I would think it would be worth around 3K. This is based on the facts that there are not many around and its a solid project for either restoration /chop job for street car.

Ziggy (whom you know how to contact)

manic mechanic
12-28-03, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Ok, first the background. I own a 1948 Chevy. It's been garaged since 1976. Re-titled once, from my great aunt to me some 30 years ago. She was the legendary teacher who only drove it to school and back. 50K miles, no rust. Most chrome needs to be re-done, though, and one of the fenders has a good sized (fixable) dent. All original.

I was offered $1200 for it. I was at the Chevrolet dealer yesterday having a duplicate key made for it. He said I would be crazy to accept the offer. I called an antique dealer here in Indy today (Saturday) who said, without seeing the car, it sounded like I should be able to fetch $3500 - $5500 for it. He doesn't buy project cars, though, and couldn't really tell me of anybody who does. There are a couple more in the phone book that I'll call on Monday.

I've searched the internet and found some of the same cars for sale, a site called chevytalk.org, and numerous brokers wanting to sell, but seemingly not to buy a fixer-upper.

My question is, does anybody have any advise? Know anybody who buys and restores cars? Where else can I look?

Thanks in advance...

Hey buddy,

You want advice, we need a model and the particulars.

2 doors or 4
Trans type
Options

Does it run? How well?

Can you drive it down the street?

I just did a bit of research, and IF it's something rare, it could fetch $35k when restored.

Other than those things, Zig said it all.

manic

cart7
12-28-03, 09:23 AM
Throw some bright red paint on that thing and haul it out to the Barret-Jackson auction next month. Brock is sure to just drool over a classic example of vintage Detroit iron and I can't wait to hear Alain describe the car as a "fine example of American auto engineering for it's period." ;)

Dirty Sanchez
12-28-03, 10:58 AM
http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/index.html

70 project Chevy's are listed on here... to give you some idea.

There's even a 48 Fleetmaster (http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/4/6/40142446.htm) for $3900 ;)

Lizzerd
12-28-03, 02:27 PM
manic, it's a Fleetmaster 2 door coup, three speed on collumn. It's been in the garage since '76. Would probably take some work to start it.

Thanks for the Hemmings advise. I filled out their form. If they like it, they'll try to find a buyer. Edit: oops. Not Hemmings. That was Volo.

cart7, it ain't ready for that...

Crapus, mine is in about the same shape as the one you found. Thanks.

manic mechanic
12-28-03, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
manic, it's a Fleetmaster 2 door coup, three speed on collumn. It's been in the garage since '76. Would probably take some work to start it.

Thanks for the Hemmings advise. I filled out their form. If they like it, they'll try to find a buyer. Edit: oops. Not Hemmings. That was Volo.

cart7, it ain't ready for that...

Crapus, mine is in about the same shape as the one you found. Thanks.

Lizzerd,

Check this ad. You may want to consult the owner of this one; He may be able to help you find a buyer.

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/quicksearch.classifieds/keyword/1948%20Chevrolet%20Fleetmaster?CFID=6648424&CFTOKEN=36822558

manic

RTKar
12-29-03, 07:09 PM
Also; Vintage Chevy Club of America, Orland Park, Illinois (708) 479-0014.