PDA

View Full Version : Does Paul want a merger now?

Warlock!
12-18-03, 10:50 AM
"I've said that repeatedly to Tony (George) and I told him it's never going to be easier than it is now," said the owner of RocketSports, whose team built early IRL engines at his shop at Lansing, Mich.

"He's not going to find three guys with less ego than Gerry, Kevin and myself and we don't need to be the big dog."

the whole Robin Miller article (http://espn.go.com/rpm/cart/2003/1217/1688917.html)

I don't like the sound of it. Hopefully it's just RM playing with quotes.

Warlock!

Don Quixote
12-18-03, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
I don't like the sound of it. Hopefully it's just RM playing with quotes.

I agree. This is an unwelcome distraction at this point in time. There is no point in talking to the guy. Just say no to crapwagons!

FTG
12-18-03, 11:27 AM
FTG. If he wanted a merger, he would've asked mom for a couple of million to buy CART.

JoeBob
12-18-03, 11:57 AM
If things happened the way Gentilozzi would want it, it could be cool. I can think of a lot of things worse than a series with 10 ovals and 10 road/street courses.

That said, it takes two to tango, and IMS wouldn't do it.

racer2c
12-18-03, 12:14 PM
Hmm, it's not the the first time Paul has made comments like that. Tony could actually come out smelling like a rose. He could claim how merciful he is to accept a 'partnership' with CART in the name of Champcar tradition. Then, they could use Champcars instead of Crapwagons and demote the Crapwagons to the Infinity series in the name of "safety" thus eradicating the bad press the Crapwagons are currently receiving.

rabbit
12-18-03, 12:47 PM
A unified series only interests me if Tony George is not running it. :thumdown:
I've spent the last seven years taking a principled stand and I'll be damed if I'm going to turn my back on it now.

sadams
12-18-03, 12:48 PM
As long as TG isn't running the series I'm fine with it. Lok at the mess he made of the EARL. :gomer:

Tim
12-18-03, 01:45 PM
A merger would end my enjoyment of racing. I'd move to England and never have any contact with this country again.

chop456
12-18-03, 01:49 PM
FTG and his meat grinder.

racer2c
12-18-03, 02:09 PM
I don't know...I could get in line IF they changed to the current Champcar chassis. Heck, Dallara and Gforce could make one too for all I care.

It feels a bit strange to be so supportive of OWRS and thankful that they are continuing the series I adore, but at the same time despise that very same groups comments about a merger (KK has made his own).
So, if it was done correctly, I'd be for it.

It sickens me that NASCAR has become synonymous with American auto-racing. If a merger helped regain what we lost, I'm in.

Wheel-Nut
12-18-03, 02:43 PM
It would be easier to merge 7G and TF!!

Cam
12-18-03, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut

:rofl: :saywhat:

RichK
12-18-03, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut

Is there a difference anymore?

racer2c
12-18-03, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by RichK
Is there a difference anymore?

You beat me to it. And the answer is no.

Peter Olivola
12-18-03, 03:34 PM
This is right up there with Nixon's "I'm no crook" statement. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Warlock!

"He's not going to find three guys with less ego than Gerry, Kevin and myself and we don't need to be the big dog."

lone_groover
12-18-03, 03:50 PM
OT....and out of character. BIG difference is that the folks at 7G ban people for blatant racism. NO such thing at TurdF.

:saywhat:

Ziggy
12-18-03, 04:59 PM
I agree with JoeBob and racer2c on this one. If Tony would not be in controll, so we know how that would work out..... Lets say it did work out, and The Idiot Grandson was willing to let someone else run it. Who would that be?

Mario?
Gurney?
Guy Ligier?
Alf Francis?

Its a mess, and yes, these statements by PG do cloud the picture even more.

Ziggy

pchall
12-18-03, 05:32 PM
The only difference between CART 1995 and IRL 2004 is some weird synaptic firing in the addled brain of Tony George.

Railbird
12-18-03, 05:42 PM
IMO

the list of things different between CART '95 and IRL '04 is long and varied.

The nicest way that I can word it is to call it watered down.

lone_groover
12-18-03, 05:45 PM
Watered down with a lot of uria and ammonia.

:thumdown:

RedLine
12-18-03, 06:28 PM
"I've said that repeatedly to Tony (George) and I told him it's never going to be easier than it is now," said the owner of RocketSports, whose team built early IRL engines at his shop at Lansing, Mich.

I doubt he's speaking for or about Kevin.

Note to Our Savior: show us...don't tell us.

BMEP
12-19-03, 01:29 AM
It's sad that it's come to this. The reality from my point of view is that I think they do have to merge to survive.

The really sad part of it is that I won't be watching anything that TG is involved in.

<sigh> The king is dead. Long live the king.

Elmo T
12-19-03, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JoeBob
I can think of a lot of things worse than a series with 10 ovals and 10 road/street courses.

It wasn't too long ago that I felt the same way. I like the diversity of tracks in Champcar.

Anymore, I have little interest in the ovals. Throw in a couple, maybe; but I'd be just as happy to see them go at this point.

As for a merger, I'd like OWRS to put in a few good years with Champcar. Then worry about taking over the IRL. ;)

Chaos
12-19-03, 10:59 AM
The nicest way that I can word it is to call it watered down

...sad really

Accipiter
12-19-03, 07:36 PM
From the OWRS press conference:

Paul Gentilozzi: Really, in any effective method of planning a new business, you start with a long-range plan and work your way back to a short-range plan so that you understand your objectives. We have a clear vision of where we want to race, who we want to race with, in both ‘04 and ‘05 and beyond and we’ve had really lengthy discussions over the last four months, we know where our rules are for ‘04 and we are contemplating where our partnerships will be in ‘05, what the engines will be like, what the cars will be like. We’ve given those intense study, and you have to make conclusions very early into this year to be able to make any impactful changes beyond that.

But, your question relative to the IRL is one we get a lot, and I have the same answer. I consider Tony George a friend. I was around Tony when he first formed the IRL, I was involved there as an engine builder and as a part supplier, and I was with Tony when he made his first visit to Dallara to get chassis built. I understand his vision and his enthusiasm toward what his product is. We have had occasion to talk recently about the philosophy of open-wheel racing in North America and around the world. They’re always intriguing, engaging conversations, but at this point it is just two guys talking.

Is it just me, or does it sound like he is talking about sitting around and trying to come up with some sort of compromise on the rules with the IRL in '05. I hope not, becuase that is exactly the kind of thinking that has gotten CART into this predicament in the first place. As Kalkoven said in his interview two weeks ago, there is a product that you can sell here. I.E. Open wheel road racing in North America, and possibly beyond, that does not in any way need to be tied to Indy. Maximizing that potential should be the long term plan they use to make their short term decisions, and I don't care if Tony George is your best friend, anything he has to say about the future of American open wheel is irrelevant to what you are doing.

cart7
12-19-03, 08:34 PM
Merge with the earl. Sadly, TG would want complete control like always. Unless this new investment group could persuade him otherwise, I don't want to watch a series run by him. If the current earl is anything like what a merged series would be, we'd be watching watered down venues like Toronto, Montreal, Mexico City etc. If there was a way to screw up what Cart built in those venues over the last 20 or so years, TG would be the person to do it.

RTKar
12-19-03, 08:51 PM
The only time to negotiate anything would be from a position of strength and that may take a few years. If OWRS can establish a strong metropolitan fan base and persuade a major mfg or two, then something may be gained. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize two open wheel racing series isn't the best route to compete against NASCAR for fans and tv viewers but one unified series run by the buffoons at 16th and Georgetown is definitely not desirable.

indyracer56
12-30-03, 10:35 AM
I don't see any way that after all of these years that Tony George would want a merger now.

I have always felt that Cart needed to forge their own path, totally seperate from Indy/IMS.

Maybe with the new ownership, a group of guys who have more of a road racing background, and didn't just enter the sport to win at Indy, that can finally happen.

As always, we shall see.

jonovision_man
12-30-03, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by indyracer56
I don't see any way that after all of these years that Tony George would want a merger now.

I have always felt that Cart needed to forge their own path, totally seperate from Indy/IMS.

Maybe with the new ownership, a group of guys who have more of a road racing background, and didn't just enter the sport to win at Indy, that can finally happen.

As always, we shall see.

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see TG take an interest.

He's taking a bath with the IRL, and CART is owned by a new crew, so he'd be dealing with a mostly different organization than the one that was around during the split.

From a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense for him to consider it.

Good thing or bad thing? We'll see... but I fully expect there to be talking here.

jono

Methanolandbrats
12-30-03, 12:39 PM
TG needs a few more years to circle the drain. Throwing him a lifeline now would serve no purpose.