PDA

View Full Version : Any bowlers out there?

Lizzerd
12-16-03, 01:56 AM
Well, I'm one. I'm a two-night-a-week league bowler and usually carry around a 180 average. Not bad, not great. About half the time or so I'll throw a 200+ game on a league night and on a good night, two (out of three games). A 200 game is kinda like shooting a round of golf at par. Anyway, in a 30 - 35 week season, I'll score a handful of 600 series, maybe three or four in each league. Of all the 600 series I've ever had though, they usually consist of a 230 game, and a couple 190 games, or something like that. I can screw up big time too, though. A couple weeks ago, I had a 234 and 211, so all I needed was a 155 for a 600. I threw a 137 in game three for a 582. Anyway, I had never had a "clean" 600, all three games 200+, until tonight. 257, 208, 200 = 665. Woo Hoo! The pressure was on in the third game. I was on pace, so to speak, but in the seventh, I came in high and left a big split. Now, I needed a double somewhere and had to mark out big for the deuce. In the eighth I threw it a little too hard and and didn't get enough bite, so I came in a little light and left the seven. Picked it up no problem. The ninth frame was perfect. I buried the sphere to put ten in the pit. My first ball in the tenth is where I HAD to have the double. I missed my mark by a couple boards and got it out a bit, but it grabbed in the back end and hooked right in the pocket. Ten in the pit. Cool. A spare now, and I'm in. I left a solid ten pin. I can't believe it. I hate ten pins! It is the hardest single pin for a right hander to get. Crap. But, by golly, I got it. Blasted it in fact.

Sorry about tooting my own horn, but I'm a happy reptile tonight. I just thought I'd share my glee. Next goal - a 700 series.

Robstar
12-16-03, 02:05 AM
I'm not a bowler, but my girlfriends brother is mad keen...
Not trying to outdo you Lizzerd, but he bowled the elusive 300 game in a local Brisbane league - 1st person in the history of the club - they gave him $5,000 !!!

Lizzerd
12-16-03, 02:27 AM
Ahhh... the elusive 300. We had one of them in my Thursday league this year, and a couple 290 - somethings. Word gets around when somebody is on a run of nine or ten and nobody else bowls when he is on the approach. Everybody watches. Talk about pressure!

In my first game tonight, you could say that I missed it by three pins even though it was "only" a 257. I had two strikes, then a nine-spare in the third, then six strikes, and a nine-spare and a nine in the tenth. If only those three nines were strikes... I've had a 267 and 264 in the past, too, which was fun.

rocket
12-16-03, 02:42 AM
I don't bowl on a regular basis, so my average isn't quite that high. I do have my own balls though...a couple of 16 pounders. :rofl:

chop456
12-16-03, 06:10 AM
Congrats, Lizzerd. That's impressive.

I haven't been back to the bowling alley since the misunderstanding about the ball polishing machine. At least the paramedics thought it was funny.

Kiwifan
12-16-03, 06:42 AM
:D :D :D :D They didn't get you too did they? Can't they see that boys just wanna have fun? ;)

I love knocking them pins over, only trouble is it's normally just one or two at a time. I always reckoned I was better than I was. :)

Rusty.

cart7
12-16-03, 06:51 AM
I used to bowl but don't do it as much since I messed up the tendons in my right arm and wrist and hand. Very impressive Lizz. Congrats! :thumbup:

RTKar
12-16-03, 07:51 AM
Congrats Lizz, next time glue a little picture of TG on that 10 pin.It might help you aim a little better.

Don Quixote
12-16-03, 10:43 AM
Gallagher once said that bowling is an excuse for drinking, and drinking is an excuse for your bowling. :laugh: