PDA

View Full Version : IRL to reduce engine displacement

nrc
12-15-03, 02:12 AM
Just one year after a complete overhaul of their engine rules the IRL will require engine manufacturers to reduce engine displacement from 3.5 liters to 3.0 liters in time for this year's IRL 500.

It was plainly obvious last year that speeds were going to be a problem if the IRL didn't take major steps to keep engine power in check. Instead they chose to nibble around the edges and allowed speeds to escalate as many predicted.

Now they'll be forced to cut power without major aero and chasis changes to match and they're likely to end up with even more of the kind of no-lift pack racing that has helped make that series such a dangerous place for drivers.

http://sports.myway.com/news/12122003/v2096.html

Warlock!
12-15-03, 08:51 AM
So will Chebby roll out an all-new 3.0L Gen-V motor to show the world they're up to the task of taking on Fonda and Yoda... ya know, since they'll have the same amount of design time and all... or will they just delegate that task to Cosworth again? :rolleyes:

Warlock!

cart7
12-15-03, 09:03 AM
Supposedly they'll use the same motor with different parts and change the electronics to get the new displacement. Funny, I also read that Toyo was talking to the league last year about going to a 3.0, why do I have a feeling they've already got a motor ready with a bunch of dyno and testing hours on it.

Peter Olivola
12-15-03, 09:10 AM
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that you could concieve of such a thing! Why, that suggests someone knew this would happen well before the internet world was told! Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by cart7
Supposedly they'll use the same motor with different parts and change the electronics to get the new displacement. Funny, I also read that Toyo was talking to the league last year about going to a 3.0, why do I have a feeling they've already got a motor ready with a bunch of dyno and testing hours on it.

RTKar
12-15-03, 10:41 AM
It would be interesting to know, and I wonder if anyone is, plugging the "numbers" into a computer model of the irl specs in regard to the "taking off" situation. I believe I read in the Chicago paper, the expected drop in speed is going to be 10 MPH. Is that really enough? Considering the way the two Japanese companies have conquered the technical battle of racing in the past, the 10 MPH will be nothing but a temporary speed bump.

KobySon
12-15-03, 10:46 AM
Peter, I believe Cart7 is suggesting that this behavior matches the MO of Toyota. ie: start working on a revised plenum behind the scenes and then politically pressure sanctioning body to spring said device or rule change without giving others time for development etc.

Makes sense to me.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that you could concieve of such a thing! Why, that suggests someone knew this would happen well before the internet world was told! Unbelievable.

Peter Olivola
12-15-03, 12:20 PM
I realize sarcasm is a cultural thing and I can be obtuse at times, but I think this one was clear enough.

Originally posted by KobySon
Peter, I believe Cart7 is suggesting that this behavior matches the MO of Toyota. ie: start working on a revised plenum behind the scenes and then politically pressure sanctioning body to spring said device or rule change without giving others time for development etc.

Makes sense to me.

cart7
12-15-03, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Peter Olivola
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that you could concieve of such a thing! Why, that suggests someone knew this would happen well before the internet world was told! Unbelievable. :rolleyes:
You mean you're shocked that Toyota would be trying to manipulate a sanctioning body behind the scenes to gain an advantage? Where and why would anyone get such an idea?? ;)

devilmaster
12-15-03, 01:20 PM
Does this guarantee that IRL cars will install a cruise control button? They didn't have to lift at most tracks now.

Steve

rocket
12-15-03, 01:33 PM
yup

Lizzerd
12-15-03, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Does this guarantee that IRL cars will install a cruise control button?

Get real. This is the irl. It's called auto pilot.

KobySon
12-16-03, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Peter Olivola
I realize sarcasm is a cultural thing and I can be obtuse at times, but I think this one was clear enough.

doh! :o

oh yeah, that sarcasm thing again.