PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to the IRL in a few years...

Racewriter
12-08-03, 01:42 PM
This could get really interesting.:cool:

USAC looking to develop Silver Crown Series (http://www.usacracing.com/stories.asp?StoryID=1090)

Let's face it - Silver Crown already has more of the things that the IRL non-lemming fanbase wants. If they make a move to the superspeedways, it won't surprise me at all to see this series eclipse Formula Tony.

Incidentally, USAC picked up Valvoline as a series sponsor for their Sprint car division...

cart7
12-08-03, 02:01 PM
They're too dangerous!

Where will you put the fuel cell!!

Face it, the USAC crowd had there day and they blew it! Brazilianaire road racers forever!!

This won't be interesting to anyone outside of Marion Co. Ind.!!

:D :gomer:

cart7
12-08-03, 02:06 PM
Wonder if it'll look like this.
http://www.tracksideonline.com/fotos/texasII2003-day1/Legends11.sized.jpg

:cool:

Racewriter
12-08-03, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Wonder if it'll look like this.

:cool:

A bigger version of that, with a 355 in front putting out 750 horses, impact absorption in the sidepods, and big fat tires - I like it.

Racewriter
12-08-03, 02:14 PM
Incidentally, USAC also reported that Yeley's total USAC winnings were over $420,000 last year. Not too shabby for wheeling sprints and midgets.

racer2c
12-08-03, 02:16 PM
Front engine, open wheel retro-roadsters. Isn't that what the lemmings were screaming for a few years back for the IRL? It's all I saw on 7G circa '2000. Those damn Europeans and their dorky rear engine cars! It all goes back to that day at Indy when they rolled the first one of the truck.

racer2c
12-08-03, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
A bigger version of that, with a 355 in front putting out 750 horses, impact absorption in the sidepods, and big fat tires - I like it.

Yeah! And in five years they can bolt a couple of wings on for some better grip and a turbo for some more power...hey wait a second! :)

Racewriter
12-08-03, 03:47 PM
Another little piece of data here:

In 2001, Paul White tested his Silver Crown car at Nashville, with a quick lap of about 170 MPH, and straightaway speeds of 182. The race was never held because the teardrop rear tank was causing rear end lift, plus there were very legitimate concerns about crashing a Silver Crown car at that speed.

The pole for last year's IRL race was 206, and trap speeds were in the 210 range. If Riley and Scott can solve the aero issue (shouldn't be that big a deal, remove the teardrop tank) and make the cars survivable at a high speed impact (tougher, but doable), it's reasonable to think these cars would turn Nashville at, say, 185 MPH or so, with higher speed variations between straights and turns, thus making it a driver's challenge.

I still like it.

SteveH
12-08-03, 04:16 PM
I'm trying to determine how the TF crowd will take this news. On one hand, its everything they ever wanted in a chassis, on the other hand they don't run at Indy......

racer2c
12-08-03, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by SteveH
I'm trying to determine how the TF crowd will take this news. On one hand, its everything they ever wanted in a chassis, on the other hand they don't run at Indy......

Well, they can just dig up the old standard lemming handbook. "Rich, power hungry owners who hire nothing but rich foreign drivers in F1 wanna-be formula cars powered by Japanese engines ruined our Grand Tradition!" It's all there in the pre-face on page 1.

Racewriter
12-08-03, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by SteveH

They seem, uh, conflicted so far...:D:D:D

Professor Joe had the best line. Something about maybe this being the only way to get a full field in a few years.:D

Racewriter
12-08-03, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
Well, they can just dig up the old standard lemming handbook. "Rich, power hungry owners who hire nothing but rich foreign drivers in F1 wanna-be formula cars powered by Japanese engines ruined our Grand Tradition!" It's all there in the pre-face on page 1.

No, no, 2c. Nowadays, "Rich, power hungry owners who hire nothing but rich foreign drivers in F1 wanna-be formula cars powered by Japanese engines" is, in fact, the realization of the Vision. You've gotta keep up with the pack.

racer2c
12-08-03, 04:42 PM
So I hear. I like it better in here, the OC library, discussing the golden days and smoking cigars. Puff, puff.

SteveH
12-08-03, 10:01 PM
For fear of being called everything but a NancyBoy, I have to say that this concept sort of intriques me. I enjoy watching the USAC shows, seeing this on a large oval would be rather interesting. Especially since there would be a siginificant difference in cornering speed as opposed to straightline speed. Would definately separate the men from the boys. Can it be that the future of open wheel racing in the US is in the hands of USAC?

nah...... :D

Railbird
12-08-03, 10:48 PM
Front engine stock block?

http://www.janmagnussen.com/photos/richard/richard-donninton2001-36a.jpg

paging Jan Magnussen

Ziggy
12-08-03, 10:54 PM
Dont kid yourself, they can come up with bodywork that would get rid of the lift problem. Ever hear of a Super Modified?

Many a Kurtis Kraft met their ultimate demise after being cut into to run in this classification.

Maybe Tracy Hines and Dave Darland will get their shot after all.

Ziggy

cart7
12-08-03, 11:15 PM

BTW, anyone know what the story is on this car? I pulled it off the TSO photo page. This is one sweet car.

Huh?.... wait a minute, are those rain tires on that roadster??? :eek: I'd like to have seen Senna take this into turn 2 at Estoril in the rain. ;)

Racewriter
12-08-03, 11:28 PM
It's a Thunder Roadster, made by the same people who build Legends cars. Same concept, 1100CC motorcycle engine.

stymie
12-09-03, 01:44 PM
IIRC they are a Humpy Wheeler creation that he uses at various tracks for celeb races.

A change for the SC cars is probly 30 years too late; however something needs to be done. Brad Noffsinger, who also teasted at Nashville complained about the back of the car becoming airborne also

Chaos
12-09-03, 04:11 PM
i can't possibly see that car absorbing enough G's if/when it hits a concrete wall